Probiotic Questions

2ShortTails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I just joined this site but have come here many times seeking knowledge about cat health and have learned an incredible amount. Thank you for that!! :)

My question is about probiotics. I've got a 6 month old kitten who was on antibiotics at least 5 times and I'm trying to build up his gut flora. He had diarrhea about 2 weeks after coming home. The vet treated him for worms (even though he was treated through the rescue). He was also diagnosed with girardia (spelling?)...an infection in his gut. The antibiotics helped for a little over a week but his stool got loose again so I did some homework and put him on Vetriscience capsules. He's 6lbs so i cautiously give him 1/3 of a capsule. It has tremendously helped him and we now have great stools.

1. Is this the best choice of a probiotic for a cat?
2. Do i need to supplement him forever with it (of which I'm happy to do for his health)?
3. Are there better cat probiotics out there that are cat specific (Vetriscience is for both dogs and cats)....or doesn't it matter as they are both carnivores?

Any help and advice appreciated.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
in my opinion, if this particular probiotic is working, why change? Many people give their cats probiotic daily for their entire lives, and now many manufacturers are also including them in cat food.

There are many choices of probiotics, and you are not limited just to probiotics for animals. Many people here give their cats probiotics made for humans, including me (we use Natural Factors) But there is nothing wrong with the ones made for animals. As to whether or not you need to give them to your furbaby forever may depend on how his stools stay. If you stop and they loosen up, then I would start them up again. And if you decide to try a different one some time, if you go with one for animals, just make sure it mentions it's ok for cats somewhere on it.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2. Do i need to supplement him forever with it (of which I'm happy to do for his health)?
No, you don't. Just use the supplement when needed.

I had appendicitis when I was about ten years old. It was infected and it had to come out.
Back then, most people thought that the appendix was entirely vestigial...without purpose. Nowadays, we know better. While the appendix doesn't have a bespoke purpose, anymore, it does act as a reservoir for beneficial gut bacteria.

Twenty-thirty years later, I discover that I am having digestive trouble associated with lack of balance in gut bacteria. I occasionally have most of the problems you describe with your cat. It's especially prevalent after I take antibiotics.

My solution is to keep a supply of probiotic capsules handy for use when I need them. Whenever I have digestive upsets, I take two capsules on the first day then one capsule per day for the rest of the week. I usually see good results on the second or third day but I keep taking them for a week just for good measure.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do a similar thing with your cat: Whenever you notice him having digestive issues, give him some probiotics for a few days until it clears up. If his digestion is all right, don't worry about it.

I don't know about cats but, for humans, yogurt, cottage cheese or buttermilk often helps, too. If your cat likes yogurt and he can tolerate milk products, a small spoonful of plain yogurt might be helpful. (YMMV! ;) )

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello everyone, I just joined this site but have come here many times seeking knowledge about cat health and have learned an incredible amount. Thank you for that!! :)

My question is about probiotics. I've got a 6 month old kitten who was on antibiotics at least 5 times and I'm trying to build up his gut flora. He had diarrhea about 2 weeks after coming home. The vet treated him for worms (even though he was treated through the rescue). He was also diagnosed with girardia (spelling?)...an infection in his gut. The antibiotics helped for a little over a week but his stool got loose again so I did some homework and put him on Vetriscience capsules. He's 6lbs so i cautiously give him 1/3 of a capsule. It has tremendously helped him and we now have great stools.

1. Is this the best choice of a probiotic for a cat?
3. Are there better cat probiotics out there that are cat specific (Vetriscience is for both dogs and cats)....or doesn't it matter as they are both carnivores?

Any help and advice appreciated.
Talking about diarrhea, my boy had chronic diarrhea beginning of last year for 2 months straight and he refused taking medications for it and I resolved in giving him probiotics and it helped him stop his diarrhea and till now he has nice poop since then.

Here's the link that I used : My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Administrating the proper dose of probiotics during his bout of diarrhea till it cleared, I continues to give him a small portion of probiotics twice a day in a small measured tea stirrer, smallest one I can find (1 flat scoop of probiotics) to maintain his gut health.
This is the plastic stirrer that I use
IMG_4572.jpg

The probiotics I'm giving him which I myself is also taking daily is
IMG_3394.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2ShortTails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
in my opinion, if this particular probiotic is working, why change? Many people give their cats probiotic daily for their entire lives, and now many manufacturers are also including them in cat food.

There are many choices of probiotics, and you are not limited just to probiotics for animals. Many people here give their cats probiotics made for humans, including me (we use Natural Factors) But there is nothing wrong with the ones made for animals. As to whether or not you need to give them to your furbaby forever may depend on how his stools stay. If you stop and they loosen up, then I would start them up again. And if you decide to try a different one some time, if you go with one for animals, just make sure it mentions it's ok for cats somewhere on it.

Thank you and good point. I just wanted to get the best probiotic i can for him and the label does say it's for cats as well. Thanks for sharing what you use as well, I'll add that to my arsenal. :) I'll give him another couple of weeks before seeing how he does without them. They say all good health starts in the gut and I want to make sure he stays healthy. Poor little guy had a rough start.

2ShortTails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, you don't. Just use the supplement when needed.

I had appendicitis when I was about ten years old. It was infected and it had to come out.
Back then, most people thought that the appendix was entirely vestigial...without purpose. Nowadays, we know better. While the appendix doesn't have a bespoke purpose, anymore, it does act as a reservoir for beneficial gut bacteria.

Twenty-thirty years later, I discover that I am having digestive trouble associated with lack of balance in gut bacteria. I occasionally have most of the problems you describe with your cat. It's especially prevalent after I take antibiotics.

My solution is to keep a supply of probiotic capsules handy for use when I need them. Whenever I have digestive upsets, I take two capsules on the first day then one capsule per day for the rest of the week. I usually see good results on the second or third day but I keep taking them for a week just for good measure.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do a similar thing with your cat: Whenever you notice him having digestive issues, give him some probiotics for a few days until it clears up. If his digestion is all right, don't worry about it.

I don't know about cats but, for humans, yogurt, cottage cheese or buttermilk often helps, too. If your cat likes yogurt and he can tolerate milk products, a small spoonful of plain yogurt might be helpful. (YMMV! ;) )
I had no idea what the appendix was for. Very interesting and yet another thing i learned here. :)

I don't mind keeping him on probiotics if needed but was unsure if it was a daily lifelong thing. Thanks for letting me know.

I do have a kitty that likes cottage cheese, he snuck a little off my spoon so i give him a few little licks off my finger when i have it.
I've had the little guy on probiotics for about 2 weeks so maybe I'll pull him off now to see how he's doing. I have a lot of them left so they'll be on hand for a long time. Thank you!!

2ShortTails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Talking about diarrhea, my boy had chronic diarrhea beginning of last year for 2 months straight and he refused taking medications for it and I resolved in giving him probiotics and it helped him stop his diarrhea and till now he has nice poop since then.

Here's the link that I used : My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Administrating the proper dose of probiotics during his bout of diarrhea till it cleared, I continues to give him a small portion of probiotics twice a day in a small measured tea stirrer, smallest one I can find (1 flat scoop of probiotics) to maintain his gut health.
This is the plastic stirrer that I use
View attachment 467509

The probiotics I'm giving him which I myself is also taking daily is
View attachment 467508
Thank you sooo much for sharing what you use and how much!! I actually have a tiny stirrer like that. Is your kitty still on this probiotic? If you take him off do his stools get loose again? I was thinking of seeing how he does without them as he's been on them a couple of weeks with nice poops. Nervous about doing so. He was going a few times a day (all loose) and is now like clockwork: once in the morning after breakfast (firm).

I may also have to try that supplement for myself as i do like Jarrow products.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you sooo much for sharing what you use and how much!! I actually have a tiny stirrer like that. Is your kitty still on this probiotic? If you take him off do his stools get loose again? I was thinking of seeing how he does without them as he's been on them a couple of weeks with nice poops. Nervous about doing so. He was going a few times a day (all loose) and is now like clockwork: once in the morning after breakfast (firm).

I may also have to try that supplement for myself as i do like Jarrow products.
Since his episode with chronic diarrhea, I continued giving him on a daily basis, once in the morning and once in the evening. I don’t want to stop it for him since he’s taking it well and myself is also taking the same probiotic on a daily basis. I’ve tried many probiotics for myself and I find this works best for me.

2ShortTails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since his episode with chronic diarrhea, I continued giving him on a daily basis, once in the morning and once in the evening. I don’t want to stop it for him since he’s taking it well and myself is also taking the same probiotic on a daily basis. I’ve tried many probiotics for myself and I find this works best for me.
That makes total sense not to stop with the probiotics for him. I'd be doing the same thing. I'm still going to try them for myself as I'm also in search of something that works for me. I've tried a handful but haven't found the right one yet. Thank you again. :)

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That makes total sense not to stop with the probiotics for him. I'd be doing the same thing. I'm still going to try them for myself as I'm also in search of something that works for me. I've tried a handful but haven't found the right one yet. Thank you again. :)
You are welcomed 🙂
Give the brand I mentioned a try.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I ways back I had some issues and was doing a bit of research on probiotics,I was interested in scientific data and found though there seems to be alot of evidence to suggest that probiotics are safe for prolonged use with really no side effects and it's also safe to abruptly discontinue their use ,theoretically there's a possibility for the transfer of antibiotic resistance .... to summarize,an increase risk for infection which was my own concern because of being immunocompromised while on chemo

Since this is a young kitten he may only need supplemental probiotics temporarily until his metabolism normalizes his gut .There's no harm in continuing the use of probiotics on into his adulthood but if you want to determine( later) whether or not to continue then the best way to do that (according to studies and clinical trials) would be to go off them completely to see how he responds- if symptoms return then resume use then begin to try half dose,if after 2,or 3 wks no problems you can reduce further and adjust the dosage accordingly.....you want to work towards his minimal effectjvd dose for the long haul if need be

DrRuscio is a clinical researcher who lectures and has written in many a peer- review Medical Journals on Digestive health and probiotics( humans) but remember most trials study the effects on anjmals..... you might be interested in some of these studies

I do hope thats useful info for you- but what information is not useful for one time or another,right- if even to pass on to someone else?
Very often kittens do have a rough start and hopefully outgrow these types of issues when they mature-I do hope thst for your little one and in the meantime you are doing an excellent job taking care of him and providing him with all he needs for a long,healthy wonderful life... the main ingredient is love and you've got plenty of that in stock!❤

2ShortTails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off, you are a fierce warrior having to go through chemo and am sending you prayers, healing energies and hugs!! The fight is as much mental as it is physical and something no one should have to go through. ❤

Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful reply. I am not as knowledgeable on probiotics, but you make a good point: it would theoretically make sense about the possibility for the transfer of antibiotic resistance. Since he's been doing well on it, I'm going to see how he's doing now, as i withheld the probiotics tonight. I'd prefer not to give him anything and maybe (as it's been a couple weeks), he'll be fine on his own. I can always start him on a mini dose and go from there if that's not the case.

I've had quite a few kittens over the years, but none that had more than one round of antibiotics and were fine after, so this is newer territory for me. My vet did agree with me putting him on probiotics after his antibiotics ended. I just get paranoid of doing more damage than good with any kind of medication or supplement. Took a lot of homework to find one that didn't have sugars or fillers that was easy enough to administer.

That brings me also to, at some point, learning how to making homemade cat food (there's so much to learn, it's daunting) but I want the best for him and his older brother.

Thank you again and I'll keep watch on my little man and hopefully he'll be fine without probiotics. I love him to the moon and back and want him to have a very long happy and healthy life.

Ps. I love what is stated by your name. "Animals are blessings". No truer words have been spoken.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, you are a fierce warrior having to go through chemo and am sending you prayers, healing energies and hugs!! The fight is as much mental as it is physical and something no one should have to go through. ❤

Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful reply. I am not as knowledgeable on probiotics, but you make a good point: it would theoretically make sense about the possibility for the transfer of antibiotic resistance. Since he's been doing well on it, I'm going to see how he's doing now, as i withheld the probiotics tonight. I'd prefer not to give him anything and maybe (as it's been a couple weeks), he'll be fine on his own. I can always start him on a mini dose and go from there if that's not the case.

I've had quite a few kittens over the years, but none that had more than one round of antibiotics and were fine after, so this is newer territory for me. My vet did agree with me putting him on probiotics after his antibiotics ended. I just get paranoid of doing more damage than good with any kind of medication or supplement. Took a lot of homework to find one that didn't have sugars or fillers that was easy enough to administer.

That brings me also to, at some point, learning how to making homemade cat food (there's so much to learn, it's daunting) but I want the best for him and his older brother.

Thank you again and I'll keep watch on my little man and hopefully he'll be fine without probiotics. I love him to the moon and back and want him to have a very long happy and healthy life.

Ps. I love what is stated by your name. "Animals are blessings". No truer words have been spoken.
Thank you for your beautiful,kind words- I embrace positivity from encouraging people,that too is a huge Blessing that I'm very Grateful to Receive- I agree with you whole heartedly- our state of mind is half the battle

You are certainly well read on the subject and I have no doubt you'll make good choices - I've got to hand it to you for your willingness to get right in there to start researching how to make foods yourself- I wouldn't even consider it,I don't even cook for myself anymore! I just know it's probably the very best but I just can't muster up the energy for such a task - I have 2 friends that prepare their pets foods and do it all from scratch,one is for her dog the other has 3 cats- it reminds me of when I was a wife with a baby- I was either shopping or preparing meals everyday.....wow,selfless and admirable

Yeah,Im with you though on the probiotics- if and when, absolutely - if not needed ,better yet. From everything I've researched I see no reason to believe it would lead to any kind of dependancy and at any time if you decided to stop then it's not something that necessitates a gradual withdrawal ,actually stopping abruptly is the best way to test the waters to see if in a couple of weeks the metabolism normalizes- to me thats a ' safe' supplement

Thanks for your reply,delightful to talk to..... May you be bountifully Blessed to Bless your lil Blessing,lol

david23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on switching from one probiotic to another. My kitty has been Proviable for years and I am thinking of switching to Visbiome. Not sure whether it's a good idea to switch suddenly or to wean off the one while weaning on the other.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on switching from one probiotic to another. My kitty has been Proviable for years and I am thinking of switching to Visbiome. Not sure whether it's a good idea to switch suddenly or to wean off the one while weaning on the other.
I have not and my own kitties are not on probiotics but as far as any studies regarding the use of probiotic supplements suggests that abruptly stopping does not cause any adverse effects and there's no reason to " wean off" except to determine adequate dosages I see no reason why switching would be problematic for you

Is there a specific reason you are contemplating switching products?

david23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a specific reason you are contemplating switching products?
Have been advised that a higher quality probiotic might help my boy with his intermittent diarrhea.