pregnant with 4 indoor cats, wanting advice.

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure where to put this as i could not see an option in the general section.
ive just found out im 5 weeks pregnant, i have 4 indoor cats and my doc just told me to give them all up in case of toxoplasmosis. Can anyone here tell me the risks or give me a reliable site with correct info?
Thanks in advance! :)

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no need to give up your cats.  From ASPAC's site:

If you have reason to be concerned (if your cat hunts, for example), cat parents, pregnant moms and immunocompromised individuals can take some simple precautions against toxoplasmosis:
  • Have all cats in your household tested by your veterinarian for the parasite and make certain the test results are explained to you.
  • Keep your cat(s) indoors.
  • Do not feed your cat raw meat.
  • Do not eat undercooked meat yourself.
  • Do not allow your cat to hunt and eat wild mice, birds, etc.
  • Use disposable rubber gloves when cleaning the litter box.
  • Wear gloves and protective clothing when gardening.
  • Cover your child’s sandbox when not in use; this will prevent possibly infected cats from defecating in it.
  • Take proper hygienic precautions when handling raw meat.
  • Pregnant moms and immunocompromised people with cats who cannot get someone else clean the litter box for them should wear gloves, clean the litter box promptly twice a day before the oocysts can become infective and wash their hands when finished.
It is not necessary to relinquish a cat if he has toxoplasmosis. By taking the recommended steps above to practice good hygiene, both cat and humans can remain safe and healthy.

Since your cats are indoor only, it is VERY unlikely they will get this disease. Additionally, if you live with anyone else, simply having them scoop the litterbox instead of you more or less will totally eliminate your risk since you cannot get it from interacting with cats, but only from their feces/litterboxes

Good luck!

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What Tulosai quoted above is what I've read as well.  You do not need to give up your cats; that is outdated advice. 
  I've seen 3 different OBs between my 2 pregnancies and no one told me to give up my cats.  

When I was pregnant with my kids my DH did all the litter box work.  After a certain point; the bending and squatting get difficult.  

I highly recommend the "What to Expect" books (At lest the pregnancy and first year ones).  I'm pretty certain this is a topic covered in there; but honestly...I have 2 small kids and just sat down for the first time today...I just can't make myself stand up yet. 

Congratulations on your pregnancy!  Here's to a happy-healthy 9 months! 

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:
Also, toxoplasmosis is only a problem if you contract it for the first time while you're pregnant. The vast majority of adults have already contracted it due to various exposures (undercooked meats, digging in the dirt, etc.), and if you've had cats for any amount of time, the chances are even higher that you've already been exposed. So you can have yourself tested too, and if you have already been exposed you don't need to worry any more.

But you should still try to scam someone else into cleaning the boxes for the next 9 months ;) :lol3:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha..ok. will go monday for toxo test and go from there. If its pos..i know i can take antibiotics but will it already have done damage to baby?? Worst case senario??

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I understand it, if you contracted it before you got pregnant, there will be no damage to the baby. It's only if you contract it for the first time during pregnancy that it'll cause problems. But of course do try to find a more medical-based explanation somewhere to show your doctor if he wants proof.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your doctor is so outdated that you'll be wasting your breath explaining anything to him.
Don't get rid of the cats and follow all the
Instructions given to you.
Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks :) i had the toxo test today so ill see what it says. :) id never give my cats up!