TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:) I'll try my best!

klmd302

Kelly
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently fostering a semi-feral mom and kittens as well. In the beginning, she behaved much like you are describing but I forced her to let me take them out twice a day to weigh them. At first I used a regular glove and a jacket but after they were about a week old, she started getting more aggressive. I got some long leather gloves from Amazon. It was tough to pick up tiny kittens with them on, but it gave me the confidence to do it no matter what mom thought. Eventually she learned that I was going to do it regardless of her hissing and swatting and now at 4 weeks, she is very calm with me handling the kittens. I think she finally realized I am not a threat to her or them. Anyway, the whole point of me posting was I really recommend the gloves and as much confidence as you can muster! Good luck to you! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well things have changed again. Momma cat is fairly ok with me and my husband now. She's acting more like the way she was when she was outside an just an occasional visitor. The kittens are all very social and have no fear of me or my husband. I was worried they'd pick up on momma cat's fear of us and become afraid themselves but they seem to really enjoy it when we are around. They run to us and play with our feet and climb on our laps. Individual personalities are starting to come through (and really have been since they were about 3 weeks old) so that part is going extremely well. Momma cat sees us picking them up and we've picked them up and returned them to her so many times I think she has gotten used to it. Sometimes she's positively calm around us even which is a real nice change.

I did look into gloves but haven't found anything really bite-proof. My vet uses gloves that are for welders and momma bit right through them. So, I've just gone at her pace and mustered up all the bravery I could to start handling the kittens. Even going into the cage to change water, food and litter took bravery and sometimes waiting for her to show calm body language.

The current worry is that the kittens are all managing to get out of the crate even with the baby bumpers. They do go back in when they want- so they can go back and forth- but they really want to be out exploring a lot of the time. When I'm putting one back in another one or two or three are coming out the other end of the crate through the holes in the bars. I'm stuck trying to decide if I should modify the crate again or just let momma out more and more so she can tend to them.

I was originally worried they'd be stuck outside the crate hungry without mamma but since they all expertly navigate in and out I am less worried about that. It's more of a fear of them getting stuck as they grow bigger or being unsupervised while being out. I sleep in that room but I can't be in there all day. I do leave the room for an hour or so at a time but as I work from home I really can check on them frequently unless I'm asleep. I could kitten proof it more but one of the biggest hazards in there (other than the lamp chord) is the ties on the baby bumper. It's got fabric ties to hold it in place. When the kittens are out they play with them and nibble. So baby proofing would involve just giving up on the bumpers all-together.

Two of them took their first poops in the litter box today. Our vet came by last week and they are very good weights but a few picked up momma's cold and have been getting oral antibiotics. The poops in the box was a bit wet and unformed. I'm not sure if that's an effect from the medication or just because they are not on solid food yet. I don't know who the second pooper was but I know the first was one of the three that have been on antibiotics for the last 4 days. The vet will be back in 2 weeks but if the poop is abnormal I could have her make an extra trip out. Problem is I do not know what normal is for a 4 week old kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The poops are soft from the antibiotics on top of the fact they are not on food yet.

Get rid of the bumpers and let mom out to care for and interact with her brood. This is an important developmental time.

The crate sounds unsafe for kittens to squeeze in and out of. They are growing quickly. Get rid of this unsafe situation as well before something bad happens.

They should be fine being free in the room. Give them a box house with a door cut if they need a hiding place.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll consider doing this. Since I sleep in the room I worry about stressing momma out but she's been fine the time I took a nap in there while she was under a table at the foot of the bed and all the kittens were out. She just gave a short hiss when I moved my foot to close to her as I was waking up.

The room has ample hiding places as it was set up for my older fosters a few months ago so I would just need to modify the chord situation and post an enter gently sign on the door so people don't just swing the door open in case a kitten is in front of it. And of course get rid of the bumper ties or cage altogether.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
How is everyone doing? Your situation is very similar to my momma Mia's and her kittens. They are getting upgraded from their crate soon to a bathroom since they are wanting to explore outside of their crate. Mia has also grown very comfortable with us handling her babies and reaching into the crate near her.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll have to go look for your post ashade! They are all doing very well. I tried to modify the cage by weaving old pants through the bars to securely fill the holes. I thought it was working well- and I think it did on saturday night. I have very bad insomnia since infancy and keep poor hours (none of this is helped by sleeping 4 feet away from a crate of cats!

Monday morning was one of those times where I had to sleep in to catch up on the zzzz. I woke up early and kept telling myself to try for more sleep but each time I cracked opened my eyes I noticed different things:

First peak- kittens and momma were all resting soundly. Kitten heads were up since the air-mattress creaks but they were all calm and settled down for cuddling while momma quietly slept.

Second peak- Kittens where hopping up and down, possibly trying to find out if there was a bigger hole to escape out of at the top of the cage. Feeling they were secure I went back to sleep.

Third peek- Kittens were ALL out of the cage and running around playing. Sleep finally took hold and I was too tired to get up so I closed my eyes and told myself they'll be ok for the next 20 mins.

Finally I was awake - ALL the kittens were back in with mamma like little perfect angels that behaved themselves all night:)

So after that I kept the fabric on the cage and just have been leaving the crate doors open so they can come and go as they please without having to squeeze through. I keep the litter box, a bed and their food and water bowls in there so it is still home base for them and it's easier to maintain.

Mamma cat is so much more content because all her kittens will sleep in bed in the cage about half the time and she can go sleep somewhere else for a bit and take a break from them and since everyone has been freed Momma cat has seen us handling her babies, medicate them, trim their nails, and teach them how to start playing with toys, she's now trusting us with them almost fully.

After sleeping one night with all of them free roaming momma cat was comfortable enough that she stepped over my body. I swear I worry that I'll end up with a 5th cat if I find her sleeping at the foot of the bed one day!

She might like me more too because I trimmed all the little kitten nails so they won't be stabbing her as they nurse!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry about your insomnia, but thanks for the middle of the night updates on kitten activity. ;) It is starting to sound a bit like you are going to have 5 new felines in your family. :catrub:

ashade1 ashade1 TNRs and fosters/adopts out a lot of cats, so her thread is very long. Here's the link to the first post when Mia was trapped.
Wild And Wonderful Animal Rescue's Feral Cat Tails...

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your insomnia, but thanks for the middle of the night updates on kitten activity. ;) It is starting to sound a bit like you are going to have 5 new felines in your family. :catrub:
Cough cough yes....that's always the battle. I'm usually good with short term foster situations but about week 5 it gets harder. My last litter (from the same momma who is now nursing her last litter ever now that we managed to trap her) ended up with me for 5 months and I cried for weeks turning them over to the shelter. I could've kept one (we are painfully aware of the costs, especially late life costs of elder cat vet needs) but not all three and I could not pick between them. If I could've picked I would've but there was no way. My consolation is in hoping that they get adopted together.

With this litter it's going to be hard too and I see a conundrum coming even the mother is tempting just because she's been indoors now for about two months and hasn't hurt me yet- even though sometimes I'm sure she is planning to cause my demise lol. Well not really but for weeks she certainly did seem to want to call in her cousin Kitty Kat Vito to have me "disappeared."

The hard question is do I want another soulmate cat (one that knows me since birth and is a velcro kitty- I actually love those kinds) or one that is happier just being around but otherwise untouchable, un-medicatable, older and more set in her ways but more of a true rescue as she's not adoptable to just anyone being a reverted feral or semi-feral. If she's really feral she'd rather be outside even though I think she's too fragile to live out there for too many more years.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on how mama is when the kittens are weaned and ready to be adopted out, you could keep her and 1 kitten. Then she'd be safe, and you'd have your soul-mate kitty. Or you could keep 2 kittens, then they'd have each other for playmates. Or you could keep the whole family! :catman:

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so hard! I usually bond so hard with my momma cats. I also have different bonds with my ferals, Mia is my first feral that I took in while pregnant, so she is special to me that way. She has adjusted to not getting pissed with me in the crate so I have also been debating how social/feral she really is going to be... its hard. If they have a safe colony with a caregiver who loves them... Since we have taken Mia in a couple of Mia's colony have passed away suddenly... so we are thinking now that her colony may not be safe... so she may end up being a long term foster here afterall.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm am bumping this thread up because I've wanted to find it for quite a while and did not know where to look for old posts. Now that I found it I'm too distracted witghvj b cats like the one that just stepped on the keyboard. I have 10 of these things around me all the time! All the time! All the time! I love every second:)

A full update will follow after the holiday (4th of July) but for now a couple of poor quality photos to hold us over:cloud9:

IMG_5080.jpg LittleBear.jpg IMG_5029.jpg IMG_5097.jpg IMG_5073.jpg IMG_5152.jpg

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
By the way, you can click on your own profile to find any and all threads you’ve started or commented on. :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I love that purple hammock pictured in the cage. Is that a ferret bed, or is it specifically for kittens? I don't have anyplace appropriate to hang one of those for Luciano, but I bet he'd love it.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We are keeping Pretty Kitty. She had her visit on Tuesday where she had the works done with the spay. No issues in her bloodwork, negative SNAP etc. We are keeping her because she seems very settled in the house and the idea of bringing her in for so many months and then releasing her is just too awful.

She's going to be a challenge though and will be the first cat I've kept that is fearful-aggressive instead of a more fearful run away type. This was the second time the vet saw her and they had trouble again. She fights, hisses, bites and spits. She spit the vet tech in the eye but this time at least no one got a successful bite. They said that vaccinating her would be difficult in the future without sedation and sedating her just for vaccines isn't a great option. That'd be sedating her annually and they are advising against that.

The kittens are just wonderful. My remaining time with them is limited but oh boy are they getting cuddly. They'll make good housecats for whomever ends up with them.

I love that purple hammock pictured in the cage. Is that a ferret bed, or is it specifically for kittens? I don't have anyplace appropriate to hang one of those for Luciano, but I bet he'd love it.
My cats love hammocks but they outgrow the ones made for cages. I got this one from amazon. This particular one is on the small side but there are others that are bigger. Having the hammock was an essential tool for socializing the last batch of kittens that I trapped. I'd rock them in it and they'd fall asleep:)