Pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today there is a noise when one baby is suckling. It sounds like a purr but are they too young for this?

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so excited about their weight gain!!! That’s marvelous! :heartshape:

Yes! They can purr AND hiss when tiny! 😊

I hope you feel better soon!
Me too, does this mean they are now getting what they need from mum? Can I upload a photo of their little bellies after a feed and you can tell me what you think. I don’t want to not supplement if I still need to but I don’t want to feed if there bellies are full from mum incase they over feed and aspirate milk.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me too, does this mean they are now getting what they need from mum? Can I upload a photo of their little bellies after a feed and you can tell me what you think. I don’t want to not supplement if I still need to but I don’t want to feed if there bellies are full from mum incase they over feed and aspirate milk.
Never mind, I can feel how full their little stomachs are 😊

I’m really so grateful for all your help with tuis so far. I really believe without you, last nights little baby would have died at home in pain and suffering as I would have just listened to the vet. I didn’t know anything about milk aspiration or fluid in the lungs or anything like that.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since they are gaining, let them nurse from mom only and let’s see how they do. I think the calm of just being home and with mom should help them greatly.

It has been an honor to help you through this. Thank you for your kind words.

Where are you located? I’m just curious since we have a 5-hour time difference. 😊

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since they are gaining, let them nurse from mom only and let’s see how they do. I think the calm of just being home and with mom should help them greatly.

It has been an honor to help you through this. Thank you for your kind words.

Where are you located? I’m just curious since we have a 5-hour time difference. 😊
I’m located in Scotland in the UK.
I definitely would have struggled with all of this alone and I’m learning that sometimes vets just really don’t know. Today is the first day that willow hasn’t consistently left the nest and been crying at us. She has been with her babies all day, apart from coming out for food and water.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have been through so much with this birth, and you've done a wonderful job of taking care of everyone. Maybe Willow knew something was wrong with her kittens and was trying to get your attention. Now that she is staying with the kittens, I hope things get better. The more the kittens suckle mom, the more milk she will produce. It sounds like they are getting enough now.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have been through so much with this birth, and you've done a wonderful job of taking care of everyone. Maybe Willow knew something was wrong with her kittens and was trying to get your attention. Now that she is staying with the kittens, I hope things get better. The more the kittens suckle mom, the more milk she will produce. It sounds like they are getting enough now.
Maybe, the animal hospital seemed to think it could be related to their birth weights and not getting the first milk from mum so that they could have been underdeveloped. I believe that to be the case with the first one as she was only 73 grams at birth and came out not breathing. Plus she was a concern from day 1. I’m just hoping these 2 little ones thrive now.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ps Thanks you, that means a lot. I was beating myself up a lot about the last one both with the potential milk aspiration and then on whether I made the right decision last night but she looked so desperately unwell, breathing with mouth open, lethargy and laboured breathing etc. Especially on top of the popping noise when she was breathing. I got the vet report back today via email.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also the one that is sneezing is still doing so but there’s no discharge. Her nose is a little tiny bit wet but nothing coming out of it or her eyes and no noisy breathing etc

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Still gaining, which is good. Keep an eye on the sneezing kitten. They will be one week old tomorrow!

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still gaining, which is good. Keep an eye on the sneezing kitten. They will be one week old tomorrow!
I am being overly watchful probably just because of the last two and the vet worrying me with them not getting the colostrum etc. It’s just got me at high alert at the moment.
Sometimes they’re latching for half hour to an hour and other times only 5 - 10 minutes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are doing exactly what nursing kittens should do, and their weights are just above the correct weight for one-week olds! So far, so good!

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are doing exactly what nursing kittens should do, and their weights are just above the correct weight for one-week olds! So far, so good!
Good, I’m glad. When they are in the nest and mum leaves is it ok to just have them in there with their blankets? I was putting a hot water bottle but willow was panting etc and it’s fairly warm in my house tonight.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave them a little feed last night as they were hungry and willow was not going in at all. The only thing is that their little stomach seems a tiny bit bloated and I’m not sure if she’s making them poop. I’ve tried and they just pee. Their morning weights are 129g and 130g

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave them a little feed last night as they were hungry and willow was not going in at all. The only thing is that their little stomach seems a tiny bit bloated and I’m not sure if she’s making them poop. I’ve tried and they just pee. Their morning weights are 129g and 130g
Just to clarify, I meant the stomachs were a little bloated when I stepped in to feed and they hadn’t been fed in a couple of hours and again this morning before she’s went to feed them their little bellies are still a bit rounded before food. She is licking at them to make them toilet but it’s hard to tell if it’s with any success. Little one is still sneezing but still only when nursing and not just constantly. His eye was a little tiny bit wet this morning but it’s open so not sure if it’s that? Doesn’t look gunky or like discharge. Also Willow sometimes makes a chirping noise and tries to get up when they nurse so not sure if it’s a little sore for her. Some of her nipples are very dry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, weights are excellent! I’m not sure what the sneezing is about but it does not sound serious - maybe a little cold.

You can apply coconut oil to Willow’s nipples for the chapping. It’s non-toxic to the kittens. Apply often because if she gets too sore she will not want to nurse.

You can add 2-3 drops of olive oil to their formula when you feed. It will help keep poops soft and move things along, but Willow is probably licking their poops and the “bloated” tummies are often just kittens being little piggies at the milk bar. The fat tummies help them grow and the roundness elongates as they grow. I’ve always loved those fat little kitten bellies. It’s cute.