Pregnant Cat with Ear Mites / panting when nursing etc

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have been trying multiple times to feed a 1 week old kitten with a 1ml syringe and a magic nipple attachment. The kitten keeps meowing and wriggling away, and he will not drink the KMR. Please share any tips on how to hold the kitten still. Maybe I am being too gentle? I have to feed him within the hour, I have 2 kittens I must feed ASAP. Really struggling with this and appreciate any help.
You can try to wrap in the kitten as in a burrito, immobilizing him better. Train some on a doll or something, as it may be tricky...

Head up, belly down, halfway raised... Into the corner of the mouth, dropwise...

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 - Im sure you have something to add...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Z zoomango Some kittens really don't like the taste of the rubber nipple. My latest orphan kitten refused to latch on. I had to syringe feed him formula. It's kind of messy, but somehow I was able to get enough into him to keep him going. (He's one year old next month!)

Do you know how to syringe feed? There's a video here with lots of helpful tips

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What has happened now with mom?

Have you been able to feed the kittens successfully by now?

Did you go to Blue Pearl?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try to wrap in the kitten as in a burrito, immobilizing him better. Train some on a doll or something, as it may be tricky...
Head up, belly down, halfway raised... Into the corner of the mouth, dropwise...
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 - Im sure you have something to add...
Thanks a lot, I did try the burrito but they keep wriggling out of the towel. I wonder if I'm just afraid to wrap them too tight or if I'm being too gentle with them.

Z zoomango Some kittens really don't like the taste of the rubber nipple. My latest orphan kitten refused to latch on. I had to syringe feed him formula. It's kind of messy, but somehow I was able to get enough into him to keep him going. (He's one year old next month!)

Do you know how to syringe feed? There's a video here with lots of helpful tips

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady
Thanks, I have watched that video many times, but my kittens are just not as cooperative as it looks in that video. They absolutely hate the syringe with miracle nipple attachment.

I ended up going to Fetch emergency clinic in Brandon and they showed me how to do it, but even then the kittens were barely eating. But I was able to get about 1ml into each of them around 6am today. But they're losing weight now. Each has lost around 3g since last night. When I have been feeding them, they are constantly crying/screaming and I'm going super slow, but they really don't like it.

You might call the vet who gave the antibiotic, usually, antibiotics don't mean the kittens can't nurse. How did the xrays go?
I didn't know that, that would be amazing if they could still nurse. She was put on clavomax, 1ml twice a day. She actually did feed them once, even though I was trying to keep them separated, she somehow got into the zipped nesting cave and seemed to be nursing them but I took her away quickly. She seems concerned whenever I'm trying to feed them and they're crying. Do you know if clavomax taken by the mother cat would be safe for 1 week old kittens to nurse? The problem though is also she's not producing much milk as a result of being sick. I think the other concern may have been that her being sick may make them sick if they nurse from her, not sure.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
XRays showed that she was all clear, no dead fetus or any other issues. Just randomly got an infection. I wonder though if it's due to stress? She was backed up in her colon with food that needed to be pooped out but she had been pooping and using the litter fine previously. They also gave her some electrolytes/liquid and did a full blood panel. Her blood panel showed she had elevated white blood cells, and elevated BUN level, which they seemed to correlate to dehydration. They also checked her ears, and she actually does not have ear mites. So I'm not sure what the ear shaking/scratching is, but glad it's not ear mites at least.

As far as feeding amounts, all the cans/powders say 30ml per 115g of body weight. So...

Kitten 1 = 197g; needs 51ml per day; feed every 2hrs means 4.25ml per feeding
Kitten 2 = 177g; needs 46ml per day; feed every 2hrs means 3.83ml per feeding

They're barely taking 1ml per feeding of the formula, with all sorts of screaming/crying/wriggling pushing away, etc. I'm holding them by the scruff of the neck and trying to hold their head still, but can barely get in 1ml each. I don't know how I could get in 3-4ml per feeding. Are these numbers correct? Is it ok if I start off slow 1ml at first, then 2ml, then 3ml, etc per feeding? And if I do that, should I still feed once every 2-3hrs or should I feed more frequently? Because I worry about them losing weight while I get them transitioned to this feeding. If I'm only able to get 0.5ml in a feeding session is it ok to do the next feeding session sooner?

I'm going to take them to my primary vet in about an hour or so, just to get them a proper feeding and get more training. If I still can't figure it out, I've also reached out to a service here that does fostering/adoption of kittens, and if not them then I'll reach out to the humane society.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Relax — mom can nurse while on clavamox! It will not harm the kittens, and she needs to nurse to continue producing milk. Mom’s milk is best, so supplement a little and weigh to see if they continue to gain. They should, especially as mom begins to feel better.

The kittens are screaming and wiggling because they want mom and may not be that hungry if they’ve been nursing. Mom is happier nursing as well and gets stressed hearing her babies cry.

You received a good diagnosis with no internal issues or ear mites. Mom should turn the corner on her antibiotics by Day 3.

Keep us posted!
Z zoomango

Last edited:

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Relax — mom can nurse while on clavamox! It will not harm the kittens, and she needs to nurse to continue producing milk. Mom’s milk is best, so supplement a little and weigh to see if they continue to gain. They should, especially as mom begins to feel better.

The kittens are screaming and wiggling because they want mom and may not be that hungry if they’ve been nursing. Mom is happier nursing as well and gets stressed hearing her babies cry.

You received a good diagnosis with no internal issues or ear mites. Mom should turn the corner on her antibiotics by Day 3.

Keep us posted!
Z zoomango
Thanks I've definitely been freaking out :D. That's really good to know about the clavamox! I also confirmed this with my primary vet and they said the same, so I have let her keep trying to nurse while I try to supplement in between. It seems she is nursing more often now, close to how it was before. She's also back in the nesting cave (rather than being behind the door of the room), which is a relief as well.

While I've been trying to feed them, in between them nursing, they're still not taking much of the KMR (less than 0.5ml each time) but they are nursing more and currently are back to their weight from 12hrs ago. I've been comparing rolling 24hr marks, because I've been weighing multiple times a day and don't want to be weighing when they're sleeping or nursing.

Yesterday at 3:30pm they were:
Kitten 1 (female) = 194g
Kitten 2 (male) = 173g

Today at 2:40pm they're:
Kitten 1 (female) = 201g (technically Kitten 1 was 200g 12hrs ago)
Kitten 2 (male) = 184g (Kitten 2 has never been this heavy, was 179g 12hrs ago)

Is it possible they were not gaining not just because lack of milk production but because mother isn't stimulating them as often as she should? Because even though I can't get them to drink as much of the KMR I've been stimulating them before/after each attempt, and they seem to always pee. I'd think if the mother was doing it they wouldn't always be peeing. I'm going to keep doing that and trying to feed them still, because it seems to be helping.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If mom had fever and felt poorly, she may not have felt up to cleaning them, etc. It’s good to hear they are nursing well and gaining again. I hope it continues!

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama cat's appetite is back to normal mostly. She's back to nursing frequently again.

This afternoon, their 24hr weight changes were:
Bigger kitten: 19g gained in last 24hrs
Smaller kitten: 7g gained in last 24hrs

But even though that's a 7g gain between today/yesterday afternoon, the small one has been at the same weight since about 8am today until now, which is about 5:15pm. He's been feeding a few times today but his weight is still 191g. What would be some reasons for that?

One thing I noticed with both kittens is that they'd been going to the edge of the nesting cave to sleep, off of the heating pad. I have the whole room temperature controlled with a smart heater and thermostat so I can make sure it's 85-90F, but maybe with the heating pad it was too much for them? I turned off the heating pad for now, but keeping the ambient room temperature the same.

I've also decided to email a few rescues to see if any would be willing to take mother and the kittens, because I really need help with the small kitten and don't want to wait until it's too late before he gets help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The smaller kitten seems to be doing just fine. Weigh only once a day at the same time to get a better idea of the 24-hour gain. For his size, gaining 7 grams is okay. He’s eating and gaining at his own pace. We don’t worry as long as a kitten is gaining several grams a day. Please try not to over-think this and worry so much! You are doing a beautiful job with this kitten. Moving them to a rescue may stress everyone out even more.

I think the room temp may be too hot also. 78-80 would be fine, and only use the heating pad if necessary.

Keep up the nice job!

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The smaller kitten seems to be doing just fine. Weigh only once a day at the same time to get a better idea of the 24-hour gain. For his size, gaining 7 grams is okay. He’s eating and gaining at his own pace. We don’t worry as long as a kitten is gaining several grams a day. Please try not to over-think this and worry so much! You are doing a beautiful job with this kitten. Moving them to a rescue may stress everyone out even more.

I think the room temp may be too hot also. 78-80 would be fine, and only use the heating pad if necessary.

Keep up the nice job!
Thanks a lot, it's been really helpful to be able to post here and get guidance regularly. I was about to hit send, but stopped when I saw your post :)

A few hours later the little one gained a few more, and this morning he just looks bigger. It's been a wild ride, or maybe I'm the one on the wild ride emotionally lol. It's good to know the little one will be okay gaining at a slower pace. Huge relief!

Since turning off the heating pad, I've noticed the kittens move more towards the center of the nesting cave. Yeah and I've reduced the room temperature a bit, and it seems they're more comfortable. May have even made mama cat dehydrated earlier.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I only weighed once and the weight gain in the past 24hrs isn't quite as much as the previous. Is it normal for the 24hr gains to fluctuate drastically?

Day 10
Kitten 1 (the bigger one): 233g; gained 8g ... previous 24hr period had gained 19g
Kitten 2 (the smaller one): 206g; gained 10g ... previous 24hr period had gained 7g

Mama cat's appetite is pretty much back to normal now. The only thing is, she was this way long before she gave birth, but she seem to want me to stay with her while she eats, otherwise she won't eat as much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The gains are perfect. It’s normal for gains to fluctuate.

Both of the kittens are doing great! The smaller one is just over 7 ounces at 10 days, while the other is already over 8 ounces. They only need to weigh 8 ounces at 14 days, so they are both already ahead!

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The gains are perfect. It’s normal for gains to fluctuate.

Both of the kittens are doing great! The smaller one is just over 7 ounces at 10 days, while the other is already over 8 ounces. They only need to weigh 8 ounces at 14 days, so they are both already ahead!
Awesome! That is really good to know :) Thank you again!

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question, the little one's eyes haven't quite opened yet like the bigger one has.

I've attached a couple pictures. Should I be concerned and take the little one to a vet? Today was day 11.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, it’s normal for eyes to open up to 14 days. Do wipe the eyes gently with a warm damp cloth to soften and clean any crust or pus. Do this daily.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, it’s normal for eyes to open up to 14 days. Do wipe the eyes gently with a warm damp cloth to soften and clean any crust or pus. Do this daily.
Great, good to know it was still on track/normal. Her eyes are mostly open now!

Now again having an issue with the little one's weight. Although I've been checking at the same time every 24hrs, I thought I'd do a quick intermediate check today because I noticed mama cat having a similar behavior as before she got sick. Every time I come to the room, she would run out of the nesting cave towards me. To me that implies, less nursing.

So it's been 20hrs since the last weight check and little one has gained 1g and big one has gained 26g. I hand fed little one a bit, but then it wanted to nurse, so I let it, but even after 30min, it only gained 1g more, so a total of 2g gained in the last 21.5hrs at this point. I'm going to do more hand feeding tonight.

But I think from here on I have to sit with them and make sure the little one is nursing for at least an hour a day. I've noticed the mama cat gets impatient with the little one and the big one always knocks the little one off the nipples. There's still only 2 viable nipples right next to each other, which is concerning the bigger they get, makes it very difficult for them to nurse at the same time.

Is there anything I can do to make the other nipples usable? The other ones are flat/pale.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your best bet is to syringe feed the little one every 2 hours on a schedule so that it gains appropriately.