Pregnant Cat with Ear Mites / panting when nursing etc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Btw you mentioned hand feed vs. hand raise, can you explain the difference and/or share any links that explain this? Thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Btw you mentioned hand feed vs. hand raise, can you explain the difference and/or share any links that explain this? Thanks
I meant, hand feed = you do feed, but momma takes care of all the other details; alike taking care, washing, pooping etc....

Handraise: momma cant or refuses to do anything; so you must both handfeed and taking overall care.

The first variant is of course much easier.
The other is more tedious, but still doable.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok thanks a lot for explaining that was really helpful. I think the first is doable, it seems she is willing to nurse the kitten, but just not as much as the other one.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way, if I do hand feed, does that mean the kitten will/should not feed from mama cat? Because I read that they need to be on 1 consistent formula once they start. Also, is it ok for me to feed the kitten in front of the mother or should I do it away from her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since the kitten is not gaining well, you should feed him every 2 hours. He needs a minimum of 28mLs of formula each 24 hours. Feed about 2.5mLs of formula every 2 hours around the clock — more if he wants it. Put him with mom in between. If she continues to be rough with him you’ll need to separate him. It’s okay if he also nurses mom.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since the kitten is not gaining well, you should feed him every 2 hours. He needs a minimum of 28mLs of formula each 24 hours. Feed about 2.5mLs of formula every 2 hours around the clock — more if he wants it. Put him with mom in between. If she continues to be rough with him you’ll need to separate him. It’s okay if he also nurses mom.
Thanks a lot for that breakdown.

I prepared the formula twice and each time I went to the room to give it to the cat, it was nursing already. I tried to give it one of those times and he wouldn't drink from the miracle nipple, but it seems just tasting the formula made him more intensely desire his mom's milk. So I've decided to hold off for now, but watching closely and trying to help the little one suckle each time I check on them.

They seem to have gained well in the last 24hrs, but the bigger one is just gaining faster. I realize why now though. The bigger one keeps pushing the smaller one aside and tries to take over the same nipple at times when they feed together. When they alternate between napping/feeding it's been better. Mama cat doesn't seem to outright reject the small one, but just seems to prefer the big one. They seem bonded better in a sense.

Kitten 1 (female) = 135g (gained 15g in last 24hrs)
Kitten 2 (male) = 120g (gained 12g in last 24hrs)

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Possible emergency?? I realized the blood was coming from mama cat, not the kittens. When I'd first noticed the blood and had mistakenly assumed she hurt the smaller kitten, that was approx. 36hrs after birth. It seems the blood was mama cat's blood, not the kitten. Today there was blood again but less this time, just a thin streak of it. When she got up to go pee, I noticed she has fresh blood on her vagina. Not bright red, it was dark but I could see that it wasn't dry. Her pee was normal.

Right now it's roughly 90 hours since she gave birth. Before she didn't have any blood, so is it normal to have it this long after she's already given birth? She has been eating fine, and yesterday she walked around the house a bit, but I think she was seeking out a new litter spot for the kittens (it wasn't a leisurely stroll).

Should I be concerned?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, mother cats will bleed for 7-10 days after giving birth while the uterus heals. Same for human moms after vaginal births. It’s perfectly normal and should get less and less. Only be concerned if it gets to be more, such as with a hemorrhage, which is rare.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are their weights now at 12am on Day 6:

Kitten 1 (female): 163g
Kitten 2 (male): 148g

I'm not sure if they'll double their weight by the end of week one, which is roughly 50 hours away, but they'll definitely get close. Mama cat seems to be just as bonded with the smaller kitten now, which is great.

I do have one concern though, the smaller kitten seems to wobble a lot more than the other kitten. His head bobs, and a few times I've gently put my hand on either side of him while he's suckling because he sways from side-to-side and rolls over otherwise.

I understand newborn kittens tend to be wobbly, but he's much more wobbly than the other kitten. Is this 'wobbly kitten syndrome', CH or vestibular disease from mama cat's ear mites... or is it too early to judge? I know mama cat doesn't have FPV because she tested negative and hasn't been outdoors since I got her. My other 2 neutered adult male cats are vaccinated and have never been outdoors. I couldn't figure out how to attach a video mp4, so I uploaded a clip to youtube:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens only need to weigh 4 ounces (113 grams) at one week old, so even your smaller kitten is over 5 ounces already. Both are doing fine.

Your smaller kitten appears to me to have normal newborn wobbles. His coordination will gradually improve as he gets bigger. Please do not compare him to his bigger sibling. Please try not to worry so much! Everything sounds normal and good!

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens only need to weigh 4 ounces (113 grams) at one week old, so even your smaller kitten is over 5 ounces already. Both are doing fine.

Your smaller kitten appears to me to have normal newborn wobbles. His coordination will gradually improve as he gets bigger. Please do not compare him to his bigger sibling. Please try not to worry so much! Everything sounds normal and good!
Awww thanks so much I think I am just over-worrying then. This is a relief :) Really appreciate it.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey I think I have a problem. Since yesterday, mama cat seems to be nursing less and less. Every time I would go check in on her, she is not nursing and the kittens are sleeping. I know sometimes coincidentally that can happen, but the kitten weights also were either dropping or not improving today.

This morning, the kitten weights went down by 3-4g then up by 3-4g. Basically in the last 12-16 hours their weights have remained the same, which is not typical.

Mama cat is also not eating as much. I have tried giving her everything. She just sniffs the food and makes a 'shrug' sound. She is making the 'shrug' sound a lot. The last thing she ate was some tuna, but overall she seems disinterested in most things I give her. Every time I go check on her she meows but I can't seem to understand what she wants. She has dry food that she grazes on, but a lot less than usual.

I've attached pictures of her nipples. Also there's only 2 nipples that the kittens really use, which you can see the in the first picture. It's as though the others are not viable or just don't get used? She also had one that had like a cut or something, I think one of the kittens suckled on it too hard maybe? None of them seems swollen/infected, but I wouldn't know.

Thoughts? I don't know how I would take them and keep them warm going to a vet besides not turning on AC in the car, but I also have access to a virtual vet that can prescribe things. Though of course in person would be better. I'm in Florida.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are the pictures I forgot to attach earlier. She is not lethargic. The only 'symptom' she has of anything is she's not eating as much, not nursing as much, and kittens not gaining much weight in the last 12hrs.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was wondering if the bleeding, panting could mean she still has a kitten in there, I know they bleed fro a time afterward, but the not eating now and not wanting to nurse has me concerned. Please call your vet and see what they say.....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that she needs to be seen by a vet. In the meantime, supplement the kittens yourself with formula, though little weight change over just 12 hours is not terrible, it may get worse if mom is not well.

You should also apply coconut oil or petroleum jelly to mom’s nipples to keep them from chapping and cracking.

Kittens go with mom to the vet. They will be fine snuggled with her while driving.

Z zoomango

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks both.

I called my vet but they were done with appointments, so I got a virtual vet. They didn’t think it’s mastitis, but suggested I got to an urgent vet for xrays and full physical to check for dead fetus, ddx dystocia or pyometra. I don’t know what those other 2 are but that was the write up.

I’m at the urgent care now. I wish the rooms were not so ice cold here. I’m in a waiting room, but they did a preliminary check and she has a fever 103.5 fever.

I am glad I took her in. They will do xrays and blood work and she will need to start on antibiotics.

I’ll be buying her a sweater to make sure she doesn’t nurse the kittens while she’s on the antibiotics.

Also the vets at the clinic showed me how to do the hand feeding and it seems I just wasn’t putting the syringe into the kitten’s mouth. It’s also possible the magic nipples are too small. But at this point I will have to hand feed, so I have no choice but to figure out how to do it.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been trying multiple times to feed a 1 week old kitten with a 1ml syringe and a magic nipple attachment. The kitten keeps meowing and wriggling away, and he will not drink the KMR. Please share any tips on how to hold the kitten still. Maybe I am being too gentle? I have to feed him within the hour, I have 2 kittens I must feed ASAP. Really struggling with this and appreciate any help.

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any emergency service that anyone knows of after hours in Florida (Tampa area) that can help with this?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks both.

I called my vet but they were done with appointments, so I got a virtual vet. They didn’t think it’s mastitis, but suggested I got to an urgent vet for xrays and full physical to check for dead fetus, ddx dystocia or pyometra. I don’t know what those other 2 are but that was the write up.

I’m at the urgent care now. I wish the rooms were not so ice cold here. I’m in a waiting room, but they did a preliminary check and she has a fever 103.5 fever.

I am glad I took her in. They will do xrays and blood work and she will need to start on antibiotics.

I’ll be buying her a sweater to make sure she doesn’t nurse the kittens while she’s on the antibiotics.

Also the vets at the clinic showed me how to do the hand feeding and it seems I just wasn’t putting the syringe into the kitten’s mouth. It’s also possible the magic nipples are too small. But at this point I will have to hand feed, so I have no choice but to figure out how to do it.
Dystocia is problems with birthing; may be needing a good obstetrician / surgery.

Pyometra is infection and inflammatation of the vomb; usually demands immediate surgery...

So yeah, the phone vet thought it was something very serious, needing immediate vet visit.

This sweater; if cat not too big, easiest way is to do it of a sock...

Good luck!