Pregnant Cat Updated - Fleas.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad everything went well. Mother cats usually do a great job of taking care of their kittens, so you won't need to intervene too much.

Just give her peace and quiet and make sure she always has access to food and water.

If you can get some baking scales you could weigh the kittens at the same time every day to make sure they are gaining weight. If one kitten doesn't gain every day it's a sign that something is wrong. Weighing is the easiest way to keep track of how the kittens are doing.

We're here to help if you need us.

:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad everything went well. Mother cats usually do a great job of taking care of their kittens, so you won't need to intervene too much.

Just give her peace and quiet and make sure she always has access to food and water.

If you can get some baking scales you could weigh the kittens at the same time every day to make sure they are gaining weight. If one kitten doesn't gain every day it's a sign that something is wrong. Weighing is the easiest way to keep track of how the kittens are doing.

Thank you very much!! I AM SO GLAD TO HAVE YOU ALL.

Right now im looking for food brands and types to buy my cat for tomorrow that csn help her stay healthy while nursing. Like i said, shes living of of MeowMix which i know is not that great for brand.

My mom is going out tomorrow to get some stuff.

Any of these brands good? If not, any other recommendations??

Would it matter if i instantly feed the new food to the mom without slowly introducing it? She is not a picky eater either. How would i know if she's allergic again or something :"/ sigh.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Would any digital kitchen scale good?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get the Purina Kitten Chow. It will help mom with good nutrition for nursing and the kittens will eat it eventually. You can switch her to it right away. Much better for her than meow mix.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get the Purina Kitten Chow. It will help mom with good nutrition for nursing and the kittens will eat it eventually. You can switch her to it right away. Much better for her than meow mix.

So this one right? HUHU JUST MAKING SURE. I ASK TOO MUCH QUESTIONS I'M SORRY.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for the mom to not use the litterbox after giving birth? She has not gone yet till now. She also gets up sometimes to meow at me and rub on my legs, i then give her food. And she only goes back if i point at her kittens.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another question Huhu sorry im curious.

We had mice before and we tried to catch most of them. And ever since we took our cat in, they slowly disappeared for a while. (She actually killed one before).

And now they're starting to show signs that there still here. As in, pooping in places.

Should i worry about the kittens and their living space or would their smell instantly repel them from coming close? HAHA(i swear i know the answer but i need to hear it from others).

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now her babies are asleep. BUT SHE KEEPS COMING TO ME AND LAYING DOWN NEAR ME. What do do kfkjjgmd.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One way to tell if all is going well is to observe how they are acting. If mom is calm, not meowing in distress, or being very restless, all is well. If kittens are quiet, THAT is the thing to watch for. A well fed, happy kitten is NOT squealing constantly in distress, and moving around. It is normal for mom to follow you, she is nervous and scared being a new mom, and needs reassurance and calm from you. She will settle down in time. Feed her the kitten food for extra calories and nutrition. That Purina is fine. You do NOT need gloves when handling the babies, mama already knows your scent and most likely is reassured by it. Do not let a constant stream of people in to see the babies until they are older. They are very fragile right now and mama will get upset. It sometimes takes a while for a new mom to use the litterbox, her insides are all out of wack right now, and she is most likely empty from the diarrhea, just keep a watch. I agree with the above, get nonclumping klitter in a few weeks, the kittens will eat clumping litter (they almost always taste it) and it can mess them up inside because it swells and hardens. Do not let mama outside at all until she is spayed in a couple of months. She can get pregnant again within even a week after having her litter and you will begin to get more kittens then you know what to do with. I had one that had kittens only 3 months apart. 14 kittens in 2 months!
Congratulations, you did well. A beautiful little family.... Please keep us updated!
PS it is normal for mama to leave babies at times. As long as they aren't screaming, it is OK. Put her back in the nest if they act hungry. Some mamas don't spend a whole lot of time with the babies, as long as they are quiet and sleeping up against each other, all is well. Mice shouldn't bother the babies, mama will protect them too if she sees one.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One way to tell if all is going well is to observe how they are acting. If mom is calm, not meowing in distress, or being very restless, all is well. If kittens are quiet, THAT is the thing to watch for. A well fed, happy kitten is NOT squealing constantly in distress, and moving around. It is normal for mom to follow you, she is nervous and scared being a new mom, and needs reassurance and calm from you. She will settle down in time. Feed her the kitten food for extra calories and nutrition. That Purina is fine. You do NOT need gloves when handling the babies, mama already knows your scent and most likely is reassured by it. Do not let a constant stream of people in to see the babies until they are older. They are very fragile right now and mama will get upset. It sometimes takes a while for a new mom to use the litterbox, her insides are all out of wack right now, and she is most likely empty from the diarrhea, just keep a watch. I agree with the above, get nonclumping klitter in a few weeks, the kittens will eat clumping litter (they almost always taste it) and it can mess them up inside because it swells and hardens. Do not let mama outside at all until she is spayed in a couple of months. She can get pregnant again within even a week after having her litter and you will begin to get more kittens then you know what to do with. I had one that had kittens only 3 months apart. 14 kittens in 2 months!
Congratulations, you did well. A beautiful little family.... Please keep us updated!
PS it is normal for mama to leave babies at times. As long as they aren't screaming, it is OK. Put her back in the nest if they act hungry. Some mamas don't spend a whole lot of time with the babies, as long as they are quiet and sleeping up against each other, all is well. Mice shouldn't bother the babies, mama will protect them too if she sees one.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. YOU ANSWERED EVERYTHING. I will try my best to help them. They are quiet and in a pile whenever the mom comes to me.

Although this might cause some problems between my family and I. My mom had her own beliefs when taking care of animals. She wants me to keep the lights on in the room, and she will most likely be on a video call with her friends and try to show all of them which ALSO STRESS ME OUT. She also walks so loud and fast that she literally charges in the room. And me as her child, she keeps telling me that we aren't supposed to be the one to adjust for the cats. THEY'RE NEW BORNS. She keeps comparing them to human babies. And if she feels that way then SHE OBVIOUSLY KNOW THAT humans also adjust for their new borns.

Literally everyone wants to see them and I know they're cute and all but it stresses both me snd animals out.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She... she wants to leave the room. Shes been like this for 5 mins.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A cautionary tale for your mum;

When I was a kid one of our pet cats had a litter of kittens. They were born in a box in the bottom of my parents wardrobe. I was the one of three kids, so what with our family and all of our friends these kittens were seen by about a dozen people, mainly children under the age of 12, in the first few days.

The cat moved the litter twice in the first week, but in spite of my mum telling us not to bother them we kids couldn't resist the temptation to peek at the kittens. Finally the mother cat decided enough was enough and moved herself and all six kittens up into our loft!

It was an old house and the loft wasn't safe enough for people to walk around up there, so we had no choice but to let her stay where she felt safe. When they eventually showed themselves again the kittens were all about ten weeks old and totally un-socialized. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I know my parents had a really tough time getting the kittens down from the loft and getting them tame enough to re-home. At least they all survived though.

Cats will move their litters if they feel unsafe. It's quite common for them to move the kittens to a clean spot, to avoid parasites etc, every couple of weeks, but you don't want her to feel her kittens are at risk and move them somewhere inaccessible or dangerous.

Please tell your mum that she really needs peace and quiet, at least for the first few weeks.

Maybe you could set up a Go-pro or some other kind of camera so that you can see the kittens without disturbing her?

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A cautionary tale for your mum;

When I was a kid one of our pet cats had a litter of kittens. They were born in a box in the bottom of my parents wardrobe. I was the one of three kids, so what with our family and all of our friends these kittens were seen by about a dozen people, mainly children under the age of 12, in the first few days.

The cat moved the litter twice in the first week, but in spite of my mum telling us not to bother them we kids couldn't resist the temptation to peek at the kittens. Finally the mother cat decided enough was enough and moved herself and all six kittens up into our loft!

It was an old house and the loft wasn't safe enough for people to walk around up there, so we had no choice but to let her stay where she felt safe. When they eventually showed themselves again the kittens were all about ten weeks old and totally un-socialized. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I know my parents had a really tough time getting the kittens down from the loft and getting them tame enough to re-home. At least they all survived though.

Cats will move their litters if they feel unsafe. It's quite common for them to move the kittens to a clean spot, to avoid parasites etc, every couple of weeks, but you don't want her to feel her kittens are at risk and move them somewhere inaccessible or dangerous.

Please tell your mum that she really needs peace and quiet, at least for the first few weeks.

Maybe you could set up a Go-pro or some other kind of camera so that you can see the kittens without disturbing her?

Wow... that is hard.
I will definitely try to tell her the story.
Right now, I'm usually going to be in the room for a few days just make sure they're doing alright. I already lectured my mom about too many people wanting to see.

I took a few pictures yesterday just so that i can just show people that way instead of seeing them up close.

IM BEING VERY STRICT WITH ANYONE RIGHT NOW THAT MY FAMILY IS ANNOYED AT ME.

If i need to weigh them everyday, does that mean its fine if its just me, being around them most of the time?

Whenever the mom meows at me i usually try to tell her that its okay and i pet her until she stops. Walls aren't 100% sound proof so some trucks will be heard from the distance but not too loud. I feel like I'm so strict that makes me thing that even coughing, and door closing is too loud.

If anything does happen tho, i will try my best to calm her down. I will put a blanket over the area so that they are covered and not too bothered by seeing anyone.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... that is hard.
I will definitely try to tell her the story.
Right now, I'm usually going to be in the room for a few days just make sure they're doing alright. I already lectured my mom about too many people wanting to see.

I took a few pictures yesterday just so that i can just show people that way instead of seeing them up close.

IM BEING VERY STRICT WITH ANYONE RIGHT NOW THAT MY FAMILY IS ANNOYED AT ME.

If i need to weigh them everyday, does that mean its fine if its just me, being around them most of the time?

Whenever the mom meows at me i usually try to tell her that its okay and i pet her until she stops. Walls aren't 100% sound proof so some trucks will be heard from the distance but not too loud. I feel like I'm so strict that makes me thing that even coughing, and door closing is too loud.

If anything does happen tho, i will try my best to calm her down. I will put a blanket over the area so that they are covered and not too bothered by seeing anyone.
Taking pictures and video is a good idea so you can show that to people instead of them disturbing her and the Kittens.

She is quite comfortable around you so yes, it should be fine if it's just you.

A blanket is a good idea if she starts to seem restless or upset, but otherwise it shouldn't be needed.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Taking pictures and video is a good idea so you can show that to people instead of them disturbing her and the Kittens.

She is quite comfortable around you so yes, it should be fine if it's just you.

A blanket is a good idea if she starts to seem restless or upset, but otherwise it shouldn't be needed.
Alright thank you ^-^. The blanket is just to keep the light out of their area. Our bedroom is quite bright due to the huge window.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really hard to tell your parents what to do, but older people just have different views of pets. They are not as tuned into animals as younger people, and think of them as just animals, like on a farm, not a member of the family as we do now. if your family is annoyed, so be it. You are concerned for the newborns. Mama should not be exposed to loud talking, quick movements, etc. it will stress her out and she could move the kittens or even not be able to produce enough milk for them from being stressed. You could maybe limit like one member of the family every few hours. After they get to be 5 weeks or so they can take a lot more company. They should stay with mom a minimum of 10 -11 weeks, that is when kittens learn limits, how to act, and be socially acceptable. Kittens that are homed at less then ten weeks often have trouble learning what is wrong and right with rough play and biting. You are doing so well, I am proud of you. All the uproar over the kittens will die down in a few days, and things will get better. Just don't let mama outside, it isn''t worth her possibly getting killed or prgnant again!