Pregnant Cat. Please Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PippaRory21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok, they have each gained about .5 ounces. That would make them 4oz. Is this normal? If not it means my scale isn't accurate anymore. Anyway, they all seem great. There is one that is about .5 behind the rest, should I supplement him/her? He gained the same amount as them, he just weighs less. There are two relatively small ones, but the other small one is fine in the weight department.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they each gained 1/2 ounce they are okay!

Are you unable to weigh in grams? Gram weights are more accurate.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they each gained 1/2 ounce they are okay!

Are you unable to weigh in grams? Gram weights are more accurate.
You are correct. However, if you remember, we only had the metric system in the U.S. for about 2 hours. Some of us can't convert it. :hyper::wave3:

PippaRory21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 It is difficult to be super accurate with my scale in grams but I will try. It does have marks for grams, they are just tiny. If that doesn't work I will just convert it.

PippaRory21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just in case, how many ounces should they be gaining, and how many grams should they be gaining?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens should gain 6-10 grams a day minimum. Most kittens gain anywhere from 15-25 grams per day, which is even healthier.

It's much harder to track gains and losses without using gram weights. Every gram matters with tiny kittens.

PippaRory21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My scale marks every 25 grams, so I will try to get the best estimate as possible. Should I supplement the small one, or just see how it works out? He/she is almost always nursing when I come in, and has a full tummy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think you need to supplement yet. She gained the same as the others. I'd keep an eye on her though.

Are you able to get an inexpensive kitchen scale that weighs in grams at Walmart?

PippaRory21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have a Walmart near me, but I will look for one at Target and Petco, or I have a Costco and a Petsmart about 30 minutes from my house.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That would make tracking their weights so much easier and more accurate. Thank you! :)

PippaRory21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I came home just now to check on them.... and they were nowhere to be seen. I looked all over my room and found them in between two drawers where Rory could barely get to them. I put them back in the nest and they are now nursing. They seem like they haven't nursed in a long time. Is there any way I can get Rory to think that the nest is the safest place for them?
Here are their weights as of this morning
#1-120g +.5oz
#2-125g +.5oz
#3-140g +1oz
#4-127g +.75oz
Does #3 gaining 1 ounce make sense? I guess I could have messed up when I weighed him.

PippaRory21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not currently, but I can.

PippaRory21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok, I think she just got nervous because the dog was accidentally upstairs this morning, and sat in front of her door(the door was closed, and has a baby gate). Right after he left she was scoping out the area I found them in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weights are good. Sounds like mom was protecting her babies!

PippaRory21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She keeps moving them! I got home to find them huddled together in a wide open space, way less protection that the nest. I put them back in the nest an she keeps moving them. please help, I don't know what to do:help:

PippaRory21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok, now she has one in the corner with her nursing, and the others alone in the nest. Should I move them all to her? When I try to put her and the kittens in the nest together, she gets up and only takes one to the new spot.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They need to all be together, so continue putting them back in the nest.

Is there a closet in the room? She may want to be in the closet with them for privacy.