Pregnant Cat Due Soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they may have colds. The concern would be if their eyes or noses get crusty or runny with green or yellow discharge, or if their breathing sounds labored. Then it’s infection and they would need an antibiotic.

Keep a close on them and see how things go for now.
Ok I will keep a especially close watch on their eyes and noses, if anything gets worse I'll update you. Right now does treating the kittens eye 3 times a day sound good? Or should I do more or less?

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So since the kittens are 3 weeks old now I've been researching how to introduce them to a litter box. I'm just wondering about the type of litter, I use clumping litter for my cats but I hear that's dangerous for kittens. So I was thinking of making a homemade litter, I hear wood chips can be used, is that safe for kittens? It would be perfect if it did work because we're about to get a massive haul of wood chips for our chickens.

If wood chips aren't safe what else could I use? I would use newspaper if I had any.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Non-clumping litter is recommended for kittens when they are first litter training as they tend to try to eat the pieces sometimes. If they eat clumping litter it can cause blockages.

I would recommend a generic clay litter as opposed to wood chips. It won’t be long before they will be using the clumping litter anyway.

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Non-clumping litter is recommended for kittens when they are first litter training as they tend to try to eat the pieces sometimes. If they eat clumping litter it can cause blockages.

I would recommend a generic clay litter as opposed to wood chips. It won’t be long before they will be using the clumping litter anyway.
I just need a homemade litter for a bit because we're not going to the city for a week or two. Would wood chips work for now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose chips would work. Are they rough or scratchy? Doggie pee pads, paper bags, or even sand would work.

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suppose chips would work. Are they rough or scratchy? Doggie pee pads, paper bags, or even sand would work.
Well I haven't got the chips yet but if they're rough I definitely won't use them. By paper bags do you mean just layering them on the bottom of the litter box, or shredding them up? There is some sand in my backyard but it's probably really dirty.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, layering the bags and cutting strips too so they can “dig.” :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once they are a couple of months old or so, no longer tasting litter, and using the box well, you can switch them to clumping litter. :)

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Once they are a couple of months old or so, no longer tasting litter, and using the box well, you can switch them to clumping litter. :)
Yep, sounds good!

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for asking so many questions, but I have another problem...

I don't think the mom cat is producing enough milk, the kittens are constantly nursing and only two of them have gained weight in the past two days. Once their mom leaves the box they immediately all start to meow, does that mean they're hungry? I squeezed 2 of her nipples and teensy drips of milk came out. I'm pretty it's not that the kittens are sick, I think it's Momma not producing enough.

Now my question is should I start feeding the kittens wet food? They are 23 days old today and their teeth are coming in nicely. I dont have enough info to tell if they're old enough to eat wet food. If I can't feed wet food do I have to feed them formula?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are just a tad young for wet food at 23 days. Kittens wean best between 5 and 8 weeks, so they really need another couple of weeks to even try.

Kittens do cry when they are hungry, so supplementing them with formula (no Hartz) or goat’s milk is best. If they are not gaining weight then there is a problem.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Is mom eating well? She needs plentiful wet and dry food to make milk.

All questions are welcome! Thank you for your care of and concern for these kittens! :)

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are just a tad young for wet food at 23 days. Kittens wean best between 5 and 8 weeks, so they really need another couple of weeks to even try.

Kittens do cry when they are hungry, so supplementing them with formula (no Hartz) or goat’s milk is best. If they are not gaining weight then there is a problem.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Is mom eating well? She needs plentiful wet and dry food to make milk.

All questions are welcome! Thank you for your care of and concern for these kittens! :)
So are you saying I should start feeding them formula/goats milk? If so do I use a bottle or syringe? Which type of milk is preferable? Also where do you get formula, and bottles?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walmart should have PetAg kitten formula and bottles, most grocery stores and farm stores too. Many mother-fed kittens don't want to take a bottle, so a new makeup sponge or a feeding syringe may work better. Or they might be ready to lap it from a shallow bowl.

They are a bit young for solids, but I once raised a mother-fed litter and they started to eat her DRY food when they were 3 weeks old! I couldn't exactly stop them without depriving her of food, and they turned out fine (it wasn't because she didn't have enough milk; those boys were little butterballs! They just liked it I guess). So if they have teeth coming in, maybe try a little canned food and see how they react.

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Walmart should have PetAg kitten formula and bottles, most grocery stores and farm stores too. Many mother-fed kittens don't want to take a bottle, so a new makeup sponge or a feeding syringe may work better. Or they might be ready to lap it from a shallow bowl.

They are a bit young for solids, but I once raised a mother-fed litter and they started to eat her DRY food when they were 3 weeks old! I couldn't exactly stop them without depriving her of food, and they turned out fine (it wasn't because she didn't have enough milk; those boys were little butterballs! They just liked it I guess). So if they have teeth coming in, maybe try a little canned food and see how they react.
Ok well I made some homemade formula out of evaporated milk, egg yolk, and a little corn syrup. They all lapped it out of a plate, though the smaller ones preferred the syringe. I think I'll use up all the formula I made, then introduce some wet food and see if they like it. Does that sound good?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, and continue with your homemade formula as well. When you go to town, pick up full fat goat’s milk, powdered goat’s milk, or kitten formula. No cow’s milk. Kittens cannot digest lactose.

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, and continue with your homemade formula as well. When you go to town, pick up full fat goat’s milk, powdered goat’s milk, or kitten formula. No cow’s milk. Kittens cannot digest lactose.
Ok I will! I'll update you soon, thanks so much for your help! :thanks:

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So quick update. I've fed the kittens twice now, the first time barely anything. The second time a few drank a little, one ate a bit, and another ate like 5 mls! That was actually the kitten that's not doing very well! I weighed them this morning and right after they ate the second time, they're already gaining weight! One of them hasn't gained weight in 5 days but he gained a little today! Theyre not eating the whole amount theyre supposed to at this age, but they are still getting some milk from their mom. I hope they keep gaining and everything goes well! :rbheart: