Pregnant Cat Due Soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the kittens are 10 days old now, I miscounted their age before, oops! Right now I am trying to sex them to find their genders, I've researched a lot about sexing them so I know it's kinda tricky at this age, but I still wanted to try. When I looked they all seem like males, they all have the same openings, can't really tell differences between them. They don't really look like females, their openings are too far apart. What I'm wondering is if this is that accurate at all? Is it even likely that they're all males? I've watched so many videos and they sure look like males, though I hear people saying even vets make mistakes at this point.

Also one of the kittens eyes are already basically completely open, he looks completely different now!

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of scared for one of the kittens, maybe I'm just over reacting but I want to make sure. So I weigh the kittens everyday to make sure they are gaining weight and healthy, today I was holding one and weighed him and he hasn't gained any weight, (he hasn't lost any either). He's the smallest now, and he doesn't seem as plump as his siblings. He's acting completely normal, he nurses and squirms and meows when held, like he always does. He's 12 days old btw, his eyes are completely open now and he weighs 0.3 ounces less than the next biggest. I'm just wondering if it's okay that he hasn't gained weight the past day, I hope everything is fine. I'll be keeping a good watch on him, and weighing him every day. Please help!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he doesn't gain weight by tomorrow, you should probably start supplementing him. But he's allowed to take one day off from gaining :).

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he doesn't gain weight by tomorrow, you should probably start supplementing him. But he's allowed to take one day off from gaining :).
Ok I'll update you tomorrow, thanks!

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well good news! I weighed the little guy earlier and he's already gained 0.1 ounces, I'm so relieved!

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm starting to get scared for one of the kittens, he's 15 days old and only 7.1 ounces. He's gaining weight pretty slow, and not acting normal. Some things that I have noticed is that he's much more tired and has less interest in nursing. He feels kinda floppy, and he just doesn't have a big tummy like the others do. I'm really scared he's got fading kitten syndrome and that we're gonna lose him. I need help but I can't take him to the vet because of self isolation, and we don't have the money for that. Is there anything I can do to help? I'm scared and any info would help!

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, supplement him with formula or goat milk several times daily until he is healthy enough to nurse properly. Make sure he is kept warm enough. Mom should be stimulating his bowels/bladder but if not then make sure to do that too. Good luck, but as you know kittens in the first two weeks are at higher risk for mortality.

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, supplement him with formula or goat milk several times daily until he is healthy enough to nurse properly. Make sure he is kept warm enough. Mom should be stimulating his bowels/bladder but if not then make sure to do that too. Good luck, but as you know kittens in the first two weeks are at higher risk for mortality.
The problem is I dont have any formula or goats milk, all I have is evaporated milk. Also I dont have a syringe, so I have no idea what to do.

Lahasa01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know where you live, I missed that part but there is a program called SOS in Franklin Co that does low cost spays.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can use evaporated milk. Mix an egg into it and a sprinkle of sugar. Do you have a dropper? A pharmacy will give you a syringe. You need a tiny one - 1 or 2 mLs.

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recipe for formula with evaporated milk: Recipes For Homemade Kitten Formula • Kitten Rescue
Please note that you can't use evaporated milk long-term, you will need either goat milk or kitten formula. I don't know what your situation is but I assume at some point you must have someone in your home go to the grocery store, or perhaps have some delivered to you. If the kitten is not nursing, it has little hope without your intervention.

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Recipe for formula with evaporated milk: Recipes For Homemade Kitten Formula • Kitten Rescue
Please note that you can't use evaporated milk long-term, you will need either goat milk or kitten formula. I don't know what your situation is but I assume at some point you must have someone in your home go to the grocery store, or perhaps have some delivered to you. If the kitten is not nursing, it has little hope without your intervention.
Well I have some good news. I've been watching the past 3 nursing sessions to make sure the little guy gets milk. He's doing so much better now and drinking A LOT. I just have to make sure his brothers dont get in the way. I just left them and he drank for so long, I think he still is. 😄 I'm not sure what was wrong with him before, but he wasn't interested in the milk that much, could it be that his brothers were pushing him away so he gave up? I just hope that all that milk will brighten him up, also he's definitely the best walker of the bunch!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, he was probably getting pushed off. Do make sure he gets 2-3 good nursing sessions each day for now so he will continue to thrive. Thanks for the update! :)

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, he was probably getting pushed off. Do make sure he gets 2-3 good nursing sessions each day for now so he will continue to thrive. Thanks for the update! :)
Yes I will be extra sure to watch over him while nursing. Today he's already had 3 really good nursings, so very good! :hyper:

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok here's an update on the small kitten. So he's been nursing a lot still, I think his brothers have begun to understand I won't allow them to steal his nipple. He's gained 0.4 ounces since yesterday so I'm really happy about that. He's still pretty small and sleepy, I feel like all he wants to do is eat and nurse, while some of his siblings are beginning to play. I'm just really hoping he'll make a come back and become a sweet playful kitten. How long do you think it will take before he starts to look and act more normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He’s only 16 days old, so it could be a couple more weeks for him to get bigger and stronger. I hope he continues to nurse well and gain weight! :)

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He’s only 16 days old, so it could be a couple more weeks for him to get bigger and stronger. I hope he continues to nurse well and gain weight! :)
I do too! Thanks!

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm getting worried about the kittens again, these little fellas are giving me such anxiety!

So in the past week the kittens started sneezing, I researched it a whole lot to find out the cause of it. By the end I thought they might be allergic to the new blanket I had put in their box cause it had a perfume smell to it. I removed it and the sneezing stopped for a day then came back. I realized the kittens would only sneeze when nursing, so I didn't think it was a URI. Also their appetite was completely normal so that didn't sound likely. The one kitten was definitely doing the worst, he was low on weight, lethargic, and just didn't act like his siblings. I realized he was getting pushed off the nipples from his brothers, so I started watching over nursing sessions. A few days later he was recovering really well, he had gained a lot of weight and was looking more active. Then one day he just started losing a weight again, (only 0.1 ounces) and he was more lethargic. I came to check on him a little later and his eye was all gooped up and stuck. I researched why that could be happening, and Im stumped for a reason. It's not green or yellow, not swollen or red, it's clear discharge. I'm pretty sure it's not infected from what I saw on the internet. So today I started cleaning it with warm saltwater, and putting green tea on it to hopefully get rid of the problem. None of his siblings have any eye problems, they're only symptom is sneezing, and they don't have runny noses. The little guy did gain back the little bit he had lost yesterday so that's good at least. A few days ago I moved The kittens into a bigger box, Momma was fine with it. The kittens sneezing has definitely cleared up a bit since that, but they're still sneezing a little bit. All the vets are closed so that's not an option, sadly. Is there anything I can do? Or do I just have to wait and see if it clears up?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like they may have colds. The concern would be if their eyes or noses get crusty or runny with green or yellow discharge, or if their breathing sounds labored. Then it’s infection and they would need an antibiotic.

Keep a close on them and see how things go for now.