Post-neuter—Does this look normal or infected?

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got neutered today and when I brought him home I took a look at his backside and it was all swollen and bruised. It was bloody too but it was dried blood and not actively bleeding.

He’s been meowing a lot since being home and right now is sleeping, obviously not feeling very well (the vet gave him a 3 day injection for pain instead of take home meds). When my other male cat got neutered, his backside looked completely normal and he was acting like his normal self immediately after getting home. Same as my male dog too. So this seems a bit unusual to me that this time my cat is all swollen and bruised and not feeling great. Especially since everyone says male cat neuters are supposed to be super easy without complications.

So im wondering if this looks infected or just a ‘bad case of normal.’ This photo was taken immediately after I picked him up.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat got neutered today and when I brought him home I took a look at his backside and it was all swollen and bruised. It was bloody too but it was dried blood and not actively bleeding.

He’s been meowing a lot since being home and right now is sleeping, obviously not feeling very well (the vet gave him a 3 day injection for pain instead of take home meds). When my other male cat got neutered, his backside looked completely normal and he was acting like his normal self immediately after getting home. Same as my male dog too. So this seems a bit unusual to me that this time my cat is all swollen and bruised and not feeling great. Especially since everyone says male cat neuters are supposed to be super easy without complications.

So im wondering if this looks infected or just a ‘bad case of normal.’ This photo was taken immediately after I picked him up.
Hi there. This is normal. I'm attaching a reply I made to this thread :- Is it infected??

The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there. This is normal. I'm attaching a reply I made to this thread :- Is it infected??

The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.
Thank you, this makes me feel better. I was just worried because the first female cat I ever spayed came home with an infection. There was no pus or bad smells, it was simply swollen. I thought it would go down on its own but when her nipple turned black a few days later i immediately went to the vet and found out it was an infection and needed antibiotics. So since not all infections look the same I’ve been worrying about my boy now too. But if this is actually just normal in some cases then I feel sooo much better knowing that he should be okay.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you, this makes me feel better. I was just worried because the first female cat I ever spayed came home with an infection. There was no pus or bad smells, it was simply swollen. I thought it would go down on its own but when her nipple turned black a few days later i immediately went to the vet and found out it was an infection and needed antibiotics. So since not all infections look the same I’ve been worrying about my boy now too. But if this is actually just normal in some cases then I feel sooo much better knowing that he should be okay.
Yes, since it's only the fist day, it'll look pretty raw at the moment and it's normal for the surgical site to swell due to the blood filling up the sac.

As long as the surgical site is kept dry and clean and no excessive nibbling on it, it should be ok. Just keep an eye that the incision don't split apart. Don't worry so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, since it's only the fist day, it'll look pretty raw at the moment and it's normal for the surgical site to swell due to the blood filling up the sac.

As long as the surgical site is kept dry and clean and no excessive nibbling on it, it should be ok. Just keep an eye that the incision don't split apart. Don't worry so much.
Got it, thank you for the reassurance!