post funny cat picture and memes here

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm here in Canada, and I don't get it.:dunno: :paperbag:
Neither do I. What's tuppeny rice? I do know what treacle is, but it took years to find out. Rice and molasses?
Pop Goes the Weasel is an English nursery rhyme:

Half a pound of tuppeny rice,
Half a pound of treacle
That's the way the money goes,
Pop! goes the weasel

It was changed in America and became:

All around the Mulberry Bush,
The monkey chased the weasel.
The monkey stopped to pull up his sock,
Pop! goes the weasel.

and other variations.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, that makes sense to some extent. Of course, the last line refers to the part of a spinning wheel (the weasel) that wound the thread that was spun. When it got full, it popped.
Still not making a lot of sense to me, but it's clear it didn't end well for the weasel. Also seems like yet another cute nursery rhyme with a nefarious origin / meaning. Don't get the hate for the weasel, though, as they're kinda cute. ;)
1629201719446.png

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still not making a lot of sense to me, but it's clear it didn't end well for the weasel. Also seems like yet another cute nursery rhyme with a nefarious origin / meaning. Don't get the hate for the weasel, though, as they're kinda cute. ;)
View attachment 391945

Spinner's weasel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spinner's weasel or clock reel is a mechanical yarn-measuring device consisting of a spoked wheel with gears attached to a pointer on a marked face (which looks like a clock) and an internal mechanism which makes a "pop" sound after the desired length of yarn is measured (usually a skein). The pointer allows the spinner to see how close she/he is to reaching a skein. The weasel's gear ratio is usually 40 to 1, and the circumference of the reel is usually two yards, thus producing an 80-yard skein when the weasel pops (after 40 revolutions).[1][2][3]

Some reels or skein winders are made without the gear mechanism (see swift (textiles)). They perform the same function, but without the "clock" or pop to aid the spinner in keeping track of the length of thread or yarn produced. A niddy noddy is an even simpler version.[4][5] The wrap reel, on the other hand, is even more complex, with a mechanism for standardizing the tension.

The clock reel is a possible source for the word "weasel" in the nursery rhyme Pop Goes the Weasel.[6]

Noe haspel.jpg

Popping mechanism

Knott's Berry Farm spinner Charlene Parker demonstrates how to transfer thread or yard from a spinning wheel (on left) to a spinner's weasel (on right).

Spinner's weasel (left) and spinning wheel (right)