Post Cystitis And Struvite Crystals Diagnosis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, your vet can teach you. I learned for our beloved angel Moti, who was diagnosed with kidney issues. It bought us 7 more months of quality time with her, for which I will always be grateful. It might help if you do learn sub-Q to use our method; if you have a bathroom with a good counter space and an elevated place to hang a coat hanger not far away, put the Ringers (sub-Q fluid) bag on a coat hanger, and hang the hanger on the hook or side of shower frame or whatever; place Fred in a top-loading cat carrier with the top open, and do the sub-Q therapy like that. It can help him to feel more calm by being in a "box" like the carrier, and it's very easy to access him from the top-load being open. Once you learn how to give it and do it a couple of times, you should be quite confident, and you'll remember each time that you're helping him, which should add to your feeling of accomplishment. :yess:
Well we had a major set back today. He is still peeing in the litter box as well as other places in the house. I talked to the vet and she wanted to give Prozac a try with him, thinking maybe at this point it is behavioral. I gave him his first dose with his lunch today and within a few hours he was peeing everywhere and all the time. He would pee, walk around for 10-15 minutes and then pee again, over and over. I just sat on the floor and cried. I called my husband and he said that Fred peed in his laptop bag this morning. I called the vet and she said to bring him in. My husband does not want to put any more money into him. The vet said she would keep him overnight and monitor him for no charge. She thinks he might be having a reaction to the Prozac. I expressed my husband's concern about not wanting to put any more money in him. She said she will touch base with me in tomorrow and go from there. When I got home I noticed papers on the kitchen table were wet, he peed on the kitchen table, chair and on the floor. I have not seen this much pee come out of him since prior to his first hospital stay about 8 weeks ago. The vet did say his bladder was small and felt normal. I am just so upset, frustrated, sad...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we had a major set back today. He is still peeing in the litter box as well as other places in the house. I talked to the vet and she wanted to give Prozac a try with him, thinking maybe at this point it is behavioral. I gave him his first dose with his lunch today and within a few hours he was peeing everywhere and all the time. He would pee, walk around for 10-15 minutes and then pee again, over and over. I just sat on the floor and cried. I called my husband and he said that Fred peed in his laptop bag this morning. I called the vet and she said to bring him in. My husband does not want to put any more money into him. The vet said she would keep him overnight and monitor him for no charge. She thinks he might be having a reaction to the Prozac. I expressed my husband's concern about not wanting to put any more money in him. She said she will touch base with me in tomorrow and go from there. When I got home I noticed papers on the kitchen table were wet, he peed on the kitchen table, chair and on the floor. I have not seen this much pee come out of him since prior to his first hospital stay about 8 weeks ago. The vet did say his bladder was small and felt normal. I am just so upset, frustrated, sad...
Oh no!! I am so sorry =(
I know people have had luck with Prozac, but for dogs and cats, I have yet to see any pet that really thrives on it.
Poor Fred. Poor you! When you mop up his urine, is it clear like water or dark yellow?
It seems as if it were behavioral, it would be a marking/spraying thing that would leave a few drops here and there vs. soaking stuff.
I've read the thread but I can't remember, has Fred been tested for diabetes?
Hang in there. Hopefully this can be figured out and remedied very soon. :hangin::grouphug:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can certainly understand your feeling of helplessness and sadness. And I hope that you can impress upon your husband that Fred is priceless, a sentient living being in your care and that he is beloved FAMILY.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no!! I am so sorry =(
I know people have had luck with Prozac, but for dogs and cats, I have yet to see any pet that really thrives on it.
Poor Fred. Poor you! When you mop up his urine, is it clear like water or dark yellow?
It seems as if it were behavioral, it would be a marking/spraying thing that would leave a few drops here and there vs. soaking stuff.
I've read the thread but I can't remember, has Fred been tested for diabetes?
Hang in there. Hopefully this can be figured out and remedied very soon. :hangin::grouphug:
Thank you for your reply. His urine is a normal to light color. Some places he leaves dribbles, other places more. The amount on the kitchen table/chair/floor was what has me baffled. He has not been tested for diabetes, I will mention it to the vet in the morning.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can certainly understand your feeling of helplessness and sadness. And I hope that you can impress upon your husband that Fred is priceless, a sentient living being in your care and that he is beloved FAMILY.
I have talked to my husband about this and he is done spending money on him. He has ruined so much in this house. The last straw was his laptop bag this morning. It ruined several work related items. I tried to remind him that this doesn't get solved overnight but he said it has gone on long enough. I think I have cried all my tears out...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Is he on all canned food now? I would try that before giving up.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Is he on all canned food now? I would try that before giving up.
He is on RC SO wet and dry. He gets wet 3x a day, just snacks on the dry. I am not wanting to give up but it's convincing my husband not to at this point.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much dry, do you measure it?
We have 3 cats and all 3 are on it, just to make it easy when it comes to feeding times. They get a small scoop (1/2 cup) in 2 bowls in the morning. The graze throughout the day and if it's empty I will add a little for the night. Fred gets a heavy amount of wet 3x a day and I don't really see him eating the dry like the other 2 are.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So he's getting under half a cup of dry food himself? My cats start to have pee problems at half a cup each. So I try to keep it at around 1/3 cup each.

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm hoping that you can convince your husband not to loose hope yet. I too have a young cat who had struvite issues due to a bacteria that fed off of protein in his urine causing it to go alkaline. My vet told me to feed him Hills special c/d, I did that for the length of the bag with wet food twice a day, since then with my vet's ok he's now on Raine RSS mixed in with Orijen and Acana. He gets wet food twice a day with a table spoon or two mixed in, not always the Raine RSS wet, he gets a variety Weruva, Tiki Cat, along with freeze dried raw (I'm in the remote north so frozen raw isn't really an option for me). What ever wet food I make sure there is a small amount of extra water or bone broth mixed in.

Once he got a clean bill of health he was still peeing outside of the litter box. Fortunately for me he was choosing my bathroom sink, and occasionally the tub. The vet concluded that my poor boy was stressed and having separation anxiety. I work on a 2x2 rotation at a fly in camp, so I'm at work for 2 weeks and home for 2 weeks. My boyfriend and I figured out that he was most anxious for the first 2-3 days after I had left for camp and the first 2-3 days after I returned home. I found it odd that my boy had bonded like that with me as I was at camp when he arrived. He had spent almost 3 weeks at home with my boyfriend before I arrived home. I changed my interaction time with him giving him a little more special attention, and so far that seems to have worked he has not peed in my sink since I left for work and I have 4 days to go.... You have mentioned that your boy has peed on some of your husband's things the latest being his work bag....So could it be that even though your husband has been leaving for work for an extended period of time, that your boy has chosen him as his person? I wasn't home for 3 weeks and my boy bonded with me over my boyfriend (ironic considering it was my boyfriend who chose him).

As for the essential oils, most lists I've come across has lavender (unless of a high grade like Bulgarian Lavender) listed as toxic to cats, the herb is safe. The ketones and phenols of the oils is what is toxic to cats as their livers can't metabolize them like ours can. Also beware of any thing that contains D-Limonene which is found in citrus.

Oh, one thing I noticed shortly after he was feeling better my boy also preferred to use an empty litter box. We had one on a shelf in a spare room not being used and he decided to use that for a few days. We would notice it and clean it out, put it back and later that day or the next it would be used again. Not sure if that was just his thing or he associated the actual litter as the source of his discomfort when he was sick.

Those are just my experiences. I hope your boy starts to improve soon.... he looks like a sweetheart.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a room you can keep him in till you get this straightened out?
Just for your husbands sake? Worried about you!
The only rooms I could separate him are carpeted and have beds in them. He does not do well being separated from our other 2 kitties. He claws at the door and hollers like he is being chased by bears. Definitely more stress for him.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So he's getting under half a cup of dry food himself? My cats start to have pee problems at half a cup each. So I try to keep it at around 1/3 cup each.
The 1 cup is for all 3 cats. Fred really doesn't eat much dry, he prefers to hold out for the wet.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm hoping that you can convince your husband not to loose hope yet. I too have a young cat who had struvite issues due to a bacteria that fed off of protein in his urine causing it to go alkaline. My vet told me to feed him Hills special c/d, I did that for the length of the bag with wet food twice a day, since then with my vet's ok he's now on Raine RSS mixed in with Orijen and Acana. He gets wet food twice a day with a table spoon or two mixed in, not always the Raine RSS wet, he gets a variety Weruva, Tiki Cat, along with freeze dried raw (I'm in the remote north so frozen raw isn't really an option for me). What ever wet food I make sure there is a small amount of extra water or bone broth mixed in.

Once he got a clean bill of health he was still peeing outside of the litter box. Fortunately for me he was choosing my bathroom sink, and occasionally the tub. The vet concluded that my poor boy was stressed and having separation anxiety. I work on a 2x2 rotation at a fly in camp, so I'm at work for 2 weeks and home for 2 weeks. My boyfriend and I figured out that he was most anxious for the first 2-3 days after I had left for camp and the first 2-3 days after I returned home. I found it odd that my boy had bonded like that with me as I was at camp when he arrived. He had spent almost 3 weeks at home with my boyfriend before I arrived home. I changed my interaction time with him giving him a little more special attention, and so far that seems to have worked he has not peed in my sink since I left for work and I have 4 days to go.... You have mentioned that your boy has peed on some of your husband's things the latest being his work bag....So could it be that even though your husband has been leaving for work for an extended period of time, that your boy has chosen him as his person? I wasn't home for 3 weeks and my boy bonded with me over my boyfriend (ironic considering it was my boyfriend who chose him).

As for the essential oils, most lists I've come across has lavender (unless of a high grade like Bulgarian Lavender) listed as toxic to cats, the herb is safe. The ketones and phenols of the oils is what is toxic to cats as their livers can't metabolize them like ours can. Also beware of any thing that contains D-Limonene which is found in citrus.

Oh, one thing I noticed shortly after he was feeling better my boy also preferred to use an empty litter box. We had one on a shelf in a spare room not being used and he decided to use that for a few days. We would notice it and clean it out, put it back and later that day or the next it would be used again. Not sure if that was just his thing or he associated the actual litter as the source of his discomfort when he was sick.

Those are just my experiences. I hope your boy starts to improve soon.... he looks like a sweetheart.
Thank you for your reply. Fred is eating the wet 3x a day and I do water it down, doesn't seem to mind at all. As long as I crush up his anti-spasm pill he will eat it in his wet food. I don't see him eating too much dry throughout the day, I think he holds out for his wet (spoiled baby). That's funny you mentioned the sink that your boy chose. I looked at Fred the other day, as he was sitting on the bathtub edge, and told him I sure wish you would pee in the tub or sink. So much easier clean up! He has only peed on 1 item of my husband's and that was his laptop bag. Every other place has been random. Once thing that I thought about today, well 2 things actually. First one is that the amount of pee he left on the table, chair, and floor was ALOT! It was like an adult human stood there and peed. I have not seen this much from him since before the first blockage. It was like the Prozac made his body totally relax and he finally released a full bladder. Very strange. What do you think? Second thing I thought of (especially when you mentioned the empty litter box) was that the places he has peed have been flat, somewhat hard surfaces. Even though he has been peeing in the litter box. My thinking is that maybe we try the empty litter box, or one with a puppy pad, or with very little litter in it. I also have a small box that I can use to test a few theories with. What are your thoughts?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. Fred is eating the wet 3x a day and I do water it down, doesn't seem to mind at all. As long as I crush up his anti-spasm pill he will eat it in his wet food. I don't see him eating too much dry throughout the day, I think he holds out for his wet (spoiled baby). That's funny you mentioned the sink that your boy chose. I looked at Fred the other day, as he was sitting on the bathtub edge, and told him I sure wish you would pee in the tub or sink. So much easier clean up! He has only peed on 1 item of my husband's and that was his laptop bag. Every other place has been random. Once thing that I thought about today, well 2 things actually. First one is that the amount of pee he left on the table, chair, and floor was ALOT! It was like an adult human stood there and peed. I have not seen this much from him since before the first blockage. It was like the Prozac made his body totally relax and he finally released a full bladder. Very strange. What do you think? Second thing I thought of (especially when you mentioned the empty litter box) was that the places he has peed have been flat, somewhat hard surfaces. Even though he has been peeing in the litter box. My thinking is that maybe we try the empty litter box, or one with a puppy pad, or with very little litter in it. I also have a small box that I can use to test a few theories with. What are your thoughts?
I would absolutely try an empty box and also a box with a wee wee pad in it. Whatever it takes. I would never abandon a family member. Do you have funds of your own. That would be such a deal-breaker for me if someone ever threatened to not do what is necessary for a beloved family member. Just saying.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would absolutely try an empty box and also a box with a wee wee pad in it. Whatever it takes. I would never abandon a family member. Do you have funds of your own. That would be such a deal-breaker for me if someone ever threatened to not do what is necessary for a beloved family member. Just saying.
I am fortunate enough that I do not have to work. With that being said, I do discuss all purchases with my husband. I did talk to him awhile ago and he is willing to give him another shot. We discussed trying the methods I mentioned above and he agrees. He doesn't want to let him go, he is attached to him but for him it was very upsetting that he peed in his work bag, resulting in ruined papers. Sometimes we react before we think. I am glad he is willing to give him another try. I have not heard back from the vet, her office closes in 40 minutes. I will touch base tomorrow and see how he is doing. My vet is awesome and she and her staff love him to pieces. He is probably more spoiled in there then he is at home! What are your thoughts on the Sentry calming collar? I've read good and bad. Thank you for your support during this trying time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am fortunate enough that I do not have to work. With that being said, I do discuss all purchases with my husband. I did talk to him awhile ago and he is willing to give him another shot. We discussed trying the methods I mentioned above and he agrees. He doesn't want to let him go, he is attached to him but for him it was very upsetting that he peed in his work bag, resulting in ruined papers. Sometimes we react before we think. I am glad he is willing to give him another try. I have not heard back from the vet, her office closes in 40 minutes. I will touch base tomorrow and see how he is doing. My vet is awesome and she and her staff love him to pieces. He is probably more spoiled in there then he is at home! What are your thoughts on the Sentry calming collar? I've read good and bad. Thank you for your support during this trying time.
I have no experience of this collar and don't know anyone who does, to my knowledge, but if it is truly safe for cats, I would consider it as well. There are also naturopathic, homeopathic things for cats such as those Jackson Galaxy, the "Cat Daddy" host of "MY CAT FROM HELL", has for sale. Bach Flower Remedies "Rescue Remedy" which is primarily for humans, has also been helpful for cats, I have read. Jackson Galaxy's products are available through Petco, I believe. You might also search drsfostersmith.com (Drs. Foster & Smith's website -- I get all my cats' supplies delivered to my door from there. Excellent prices and real human customer service, online with live chat, or telephonically.) for help.
Sometimes, people can eliminate or lessen "accidents" such as the one you experienced with the laptop cover just by picking up the object and storing it somewhere cat-proof. Some people have off-limits-to-cats rooms that are kept closed off -- no accidents can happen.
I'm glad your husband has reconsidered and I hope he will remember that Fred is a beloved family member for life, through thick and thin. That's what family is. I didn't work outside the home, though I worked very hard without wages, of course, when married. I was fortunate to maintain my own bank accounts and credit cards, and did a pre-nup before we married, because I would NEVER be at the mercy of another human being. Sorry if this sounds a little in-your-face -- not at all meant to offend, but just stating the facts. My ex loved our cats as well, and was very good about vet visits, supplies, etc., -- until he wasn't, when he dumped us all. I will NEVER allow that to happen again.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no experience of this collar and don't know anyone who does, to my knowledge, but if it is truly safe for cats, I would consider it as well. There are also naturopathic, homeopathic things for cats such as those Jackson Galaxy, the "Cat Daddy" host of "MY CAT FROM HELL", has for sale. Bach Flower Remedies "Rescue Remedy" which is primarily for humans, has also been helpful for cats, I have read. Jackson Galaxy's products are available through Petco, I believe. You might also search drsfostersmith.com (Drs. Foster & Smith's website -- I get all my cats' supplies delivered to my door from there. Excellent prices and real human customer service, online with live chat, or telephonically.) for help.
Sometimes, people can eliminate or lessen "accidents" such as the one you experienced with the laptop cover just by picking up the object and storing it somewhere cat-proof. Some people have off-limits-to-cats rooms that are kept closed off -- no accidents can happen.
I'm glad your husband has reconsidered and I hope he will remember that Fred is a beloved family member for life, through thick and thin. That's what family is. I didn't work outside the home, though I worked very hard without wages, of course, when married. I was fortunate to maintain my own bank accounts and credit cards, and did a pre-nup before we married, because I would NEVER be at the mercy of another human being. Sorry if this sounds a little in-your-face -- not at all meant to offend, but just stating the facts. My ex loved our cats as well, and was very good about vet visits, supplies, etc., -- until he wasn't, when he dumped us all. I will NEVER allow that to happen again.
Thank you, I will look into the various sites you provided. As far as the laptop bag, it has been kept in our bedroom, which is off limits to Fred. He brought it out to leave for work, set it down for less than 5 minutes, and left. I am sorry you went thru what you did with your ex. I do have my own credit card but he is still the one that pays it. We moved about a year ago and it was decided between us that I would not work for the first year or so. This would allow me to get us settled and get to know the area, establish docs/vets, etc. This time has also allowed me to travel with him and explore a state that we now live in. I will get a part time job in the fall. I will let you know what the vet says tomorrow.