Post Cystitis And Struvite Crystals Diagnosis

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3: Welcome to TCS!
I would like to chime in on this as I have suffered from crystals, stones and general UT issues most of my life (kidney, bladder).
I use marshmallow root and slippery elm to soothe irritated tissues, alongside with all the western medicines, because those herbs bring relief while/until the meds do their magic (they are also excellent for lung and gastrointestinal support). When my Maine Coon was getting UTI problems, I had to put the puppy pads alongside the litter box (often the peeing starts off okay but then it hurts and burns so the bladder spasms, despite the meds - the catheters irritate the tissues lining the urethra, separate from the medical problem). I also switched the litter from UNscented clumping to both laying crackettes and laying mash chicken feeds (i had laying hens). JC preferred the mash at first but switched to krackettes and eventually went to only litter.
Also, I took my MC off his beloved Royal Canin Maine Coon mix and put him on Hills RX topped with FF gravy lovers. I let him have Gerber stage 2 chicken and either boiled chicken or hamburger for his treats. I used the herbal decoctions in his food (some people sprinkle the powdered herbs on the food which requires ensuring higher water intake).
You can add an truly unscented litter to the chicken feed for extra clumping (Kmart's Cat&Co and Chewy's Frisco are excellent - Arm&Hammer, FreshStep, TidyCats fragrance free/unscenteds often have lingering irritating perfumes that irritate urethras as well as rectums).
I hope that your boy makes a complete recovery soon!
I, too, avoid allopathic "medicine" and practitioners for reasons that should be abundantly clear to anyone with any knowledge of these subjects. And the things you've mentioned can be wonderfully helpful. Just a word of caution, though: what's good for us can be disastrous for members of other species. ALWAYS make sure any ingredient is safe for cats before giving/using. Never guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good on ya! *Fred is adorable, btw. But you knew that already.* Licking after using (or trying to use) the litterbox is a sign of his not being "normal" in terms of urination -- discomfort. He could be trying to clear himself, also, if he has any sort of obstruction.
Thank you, he is a cutie and full of life! I totally understand what you are saying in regards to him trying to clear any type of obstruction. I am going to consult vet on Monday and see if she can feel or see anything.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
speaking of litter, i use a grass litter, no fragrance or dust. and it clumps very well! I started with Pioneer pet, and still like it, but our local kroger store has their own brand, Abound, of grass litter and i cant tell the difference. I was in a few pet stores today and saw several new brands of grass litter. I think it must be getting popular. I know i like it a lot, and it has done wonders for my guy with hacking. Any dust, or fragrance and he hacks. no problem with the grass, it might help with other issues too?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I nearly lost my boy due to struvite blockage and he will be on Rx food for the rest of his life. He also had to have emergency PU surgery, thank goodness your baby didn't need that. That is the best thing you can do, the food, plus keep a clean box - brand does not matter. Does not matter how fancy or pure it is - cats just want it CLEAN. Keep him as little stressed as possible. Encourage wet food over dry, but the dry Rx is fine. Mine is on Royal Canin SO moderate calorie, but C/D is good, too. They have both wet and dry. I would avoid essential oils unless you really have done a lot of research on them. Cosequin is good.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SO is usually only fed for a brief period of time to dissolve any stones and crystals, usually a month or so. It doesn't need to be fed for the rest of the cat's life even if the vet insists on it.
That is not accurate, it is S/D that is for short-term, emergency situations to get the PH right. SO can be taken for life and my boy will be on it forever, it is working.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are alternatives to the prescription SO food. See this thread: Alternatives to expensive Urinary SO food

SO is usually only fed for a brief period of time to dissolve any stones and crystals, usually a month or so. It doesn't need to be fed for the rest of the cat's life even if the vet insists on it.
I read the article on the alternatives, good information. Thank you. He has only been on the RC SO for 3 weeks. I believe my vet said that this would be for a short period of time. I am going to talk to her more about it on Monday.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know not everyone wants Rx food - it is costly and can be hard to obtain, depending on where someone lives. I can only say my boy does well on it. He is a "crystal machine" according to the vet. She said it's okay for life. Both the ER vet and his regular vet said that. In the ER, the vet said his little bladder was full of sediment, like sand. The Rx food makes an environment unfavorable to producing the sand.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I nearly lost my boy due to struvite blockage and he will be on Rx food for the rest of his life. He also had to have emergency PU surgery, thank goodness your baby didn't need that. That is the best thing you can do, the food, plus keep a clean box - brand does not matter. Does not matter how fancy or pure it is - cats just want it CLEAN. Keep him as little stressed as possible. Encourage wet food over dry, but the dry Rx is fine. Mine is on Royal Canin SO moderate calorie, but C/D is good, too. They have both wet and dry. I would avoid essential oils unless you really have done a lot of research on them. Cosequin is good.
Thank you for your input. We are on top of keeping the litter boxes clean. My vet was fine with the Cosequin so I will continue with it. I know I have to be patient during his healing process but this extra peeing he is doing is making things frustrating.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know not everyone wants Rx food - it is costly and can be hard to obtain, depending on where someone lives. I can only say my boy does well on it. He is a "crystal machine" according to the vet. She said it's okay for life. Both the ER vet and his regular vet said that.
Thank you for your input. I plan to talk to my vet about Fred's long term/short term future on the RX. If he needs it, then he will get it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a male get blocked twice in a short period of time in his youth. The only thing that worked for him (and has worked for almost a decade; no urinary issues) was ditching dry food completely. I know all cats are different and will respond differently to different solutions but for him, dry food (no matter how high quality or Rx vs. non-Rx) wasn't working.
We've got a female here that will develop cystitis, and eventually a UTI, if she's fed any kind of dry food over the course of several meals.
Hopefully your find the best solution for Fred =)
Also, when my male cat was blocked he began peeing here and there, litter trained to a fault, I think that the experience caused him an irritating sensation causing it. Once the problem was under control, he stopped and returned to his box =)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had Angel, he had a UTI, followed by a couple of bouts of cystitis with sturvite crystals as well. Thank God he never was blocked though.
He ended up having to be on Rx food too. We used the Purina urinary formula. Wet only. My vet knew I was hesitatnt about the Rx food, because most of it not having the best ingredients, but we compared the 3 UR ones they had, & she thought the Purina had the least of them, so that's what we went with. I fed no dry at all. I know it's probably hard w/ your other cats, but if you can, that's what I would suggest as well. Angel was also on cosequin every day.
What antispasmatic med is he on? My vet put Angel on amatripyline. It is an anti anxiety/antidepressant, but was on it to help the bladder relax. If your cat is stressed, maybe that would be one to try being it's anti anxiety. You'd have to ask your vet. I also used the comfort zone plug in diffusers. The lavender & chamomile may be ok, as long as it's in a diffuser & not ON the cat. Yes, as mentioned, essential oils can be dangerous on cats. They have small livers, & can't handle them the way dogs may. After a year of being on the Purina RX food, I wanted to find a healthier, more natural alternative.
I found one at a natural pet food store in town. It's Dave's.
You can find it on chewy.co. as well.
Dave's Pet Food Restricted Diet Magnesium & Phosphorus Grain-Free Pork Recipe Canned Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24
I took a lable for my get to look at, & she said it looked good, to try it & we'd do another ultrasound in a few wks to follow up. The food was great. Angel liked it, & all follow ups were clear of any crystals.
I was happy to have found a healthier alternative to the Rx food, bit bit still met what he needed. I was so pleased I emailed the company, & Dave himself answered my email! They are a nice small company & as he said, that's they do what they do, to help our pets. I think it's definitely worth a try for your baby. I hope some of this helps!
Good luck, & keep us posted.

Oh, & yes, Angel was on that Daves food for the rest of his life. I didn't want him to have to ever go through that again! Twice was enough. Especially when the last one landed us in the ER on a Christmas morning, because I saw some pink in his pee!!

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input. We are on top of keeping the litter boxes clean. My vet was fine with the Cosequin so I will continue with it. I know I have to be patient during his healing process but this extra peeing he is doing is making things frustrating.
I know it can be difficult, but be grateful he IS peeing! If he stops, rush him to doctor immediately because it is life-threatening. Nature's Miracle is a very effective cleaner used as directed, so you're okay there.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a male get blocked twice in a short period of time in his youth. The only thing that worked for him (and has worked for almost a decade; no urinary issues) was ditching dry food completely. I know all cats are different and will respond differently to different solutions but for him, dry food (no matter how high quality or Rx vs. non-Rx) wasn't working.
We've got a female here that will develop cystitis, and eventually a UTI, if she's fed any kind of dry food over the course of several meals.
Hopefully your find the best solution for Fred =)
Also, when my male cat was blocked he began peeing here and there, litter trained to a fault, I think that the experience caused him an irritating sensation causing it. Once the problem was under control, he stopped and returned to his box =)
Thank you for your input. I am feeding him more wet throughout the day so hopefully it kicks in soon. Crazy thing is that he will use the litter box. It's like his brain says, oh my I gotta go now, and stops and pees. I am assuming that it is the sensations that are making him do this.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input. I am feeding him more wet throughout the day so hopefully it kicks in soon. Crazy thing is that he will use the litter box. It's like his brain says, oh my I gotta go now, and stops and pees. I am assuming that it is the sensations that are making him do this.
Probably. If you've ever had a bladder infection, you know how uncomfortable that pressure is. All the more so, in a male, whose "equipment" is so much narrower.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I had Angel, he had a UTI, followed by a couple of bouts of cystitis with sturvite crystals as well. Thank God he never was blocked though.
He ended up having to be on Rx food too. We used the Purina urinary formula. Wet only. My vet knew I was hesitatnt about the Rx food, because most of it not having the best ingredients, but we compared the 3 UR ones they had, & she thought the Purina had the least of them, so that's what we went with. I fed no dry at all. I know it's probably hard w/ your other cats, but if you can, that's what I would suggest as well. Angel was also on cosequin every day.
What antispasmatic med is he on? My vet put Angel on amatripyline. It is an anti anxiety/antidepressant, but was on it to help the bladder relax. If your cat is stressed, maybe that would be one to try being it's anti anxiety. You'd have to ask your vet. I also used the comfort zone plug in diffusers. The lavender & chamomile may be ok, as long as it's in a diffuser & not ON the cat. Yes, as mentioned, essential oils can be dangerous on cats. They have small livers, & can't handle them the way dogs may. After a year of being on the Purina RX food, I wanted to find a healthier, more natural alternative.
I found one at a natural pet food store in town. It's Dave's.
You can find it on chewy.co. as well.
Dave's Pet Food Restricted Diet Magnesium & Phosphorus Grain-Free Pork Recipe Canned Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24
I took a lable for my get to look at, & she said it looked good, to try it & we'd do another ultrasound in a few wks to follow up. The food was great. Angel liked it, & all follow ups were clear of any crystals.
I was happy to have found a healthier alternative to the Rx food, bit bit still met what he needed. I was so pleased I emailed the company, & Dave himself answered my email! They are a nice small company & as he said, that's they do what they do, to help our pets. I think it's definitely worth a try for your baby. I hope some of this helps!
Good luck, & keep us posted.

Oh, & yes, Angel was on that Daves food for the rest of his life. I didn't want him to have to ever go through that again! Twice was enough. Especially when the last one landed us in the ER on a Christmas morning, because I saw some pink in his pee!!
Thank you for your input. He is on Phenoxybenzamine, 5mg, 2x a day. He has 6 days left. The vet tech did mention that maybe our next step is an anti-anxiety type pill. I will talk to my vet about it for sure. He seems to be using the box and today so far (knock on wood), have not found any new pee places. I watch him like a hawk! I also take him to the litter box to encourage pees and he will walk into it and pee without any problems. They are not big pee balls but they are pee balls. I am getting more patience daily and getting into more of a routine with him.

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it can be difficult, but be grateful he IS peeing! If he stops, rush him to doctor immediately because it is life-threatening. Nature's Miracle is a very effective cleaner used as directed, so you're okay there.
No worries, having been thru it twice already I am aware of the signs. I feel that his pee balls, even though they are small in size (ping pong) are giving me signs that his urine is flowing. I am a walking billboard for Nature's Miracle as I am sure many of us are!!

Fred'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably. If you've ever had a bladder infection, you know how uncomfortable that pressure is. All the more so, in a male, whose "equipment" is so much narrower.
Exactly what I told my husband. I have had several UTI's and the urgency/sensations/etc can be a bothersome.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries, having been thru it twice already I am aware of the signs. I feel that his pee balls, even though they are small in size (ping pong) are giving me signs that his urine is flowing. I am a walking billboard for Nature's Miracle as I am sure many of us are!!
Oh, yeah. I keep it in the house in gallon size and have smaller bottles in the bathrooms and kitchen, at the ready.
And yes, as long as he is able to give some output, it is not an emergency -- only very likely uncomfortably pressured. I know I rely on the CranHealth tabs for my Elvis! and have in the past used MethiGel methionine supplement for my beloved angel Samuda, who was prone to FLUTD. No cats in my care have ever condescended to eat any Rx diets, which I don't blame them for as many if not most contain ingredients I do not believe are of even average quality, and look and smell quite awful. By using the supplements I was/am able to give my cats a high quality, varied, palatable diet they enjoy while still maintaining their urinary tract health. And that's what any of us would want, isn't it? ;)