Poos right after peeing

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for cats to poo right after peeing? Sometimes my cat even stays in the litter for several minutes to do both in one visit. But I've noticed that he poops within 3-15 mins of peeing lately and got me thinking...

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine usually do that. Sometimes they'll pee, get out, then come right back for a poo. I usually know when Phoebe's building up to a poo because she digs an open-cast mine first. Daisy's subtler but the length of time she's in there is the usual clue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Changes in routines are always something to keep an eye on. But, if his pees and poops are normal size/consistency, he could just be changing his routine. How many times a day does he pee, and does he always poop with each time? How is this compared to what you consider normal for him? How old is your cat?

When Feeby was younger, she went to the litter box just once a day and took care of all her business at that time. I just considered her to being 'efficient' - LOL. Now, that she is older, she pees more often, but still will tend to poop at the same time as one of her pee sessions. She will sometimes take a little longer, lingering a bit, in the litter box too.

As long as your cat is peeing adequately, and his poos are of normal consistency (not loose or too hard), It could just be a change he is making for reason unbeknown to you (or us).

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is it normal for cats to poo right after peeing? Sometimes my cat even stays in the litter for several minutes to do both in one visit. But I've noticed that he poops within 3-15 mins of peeing lately and got me thinking...
Quite normal for them to do that. My boy sometimes poo immediately after he pees or maybe sometimes a few minutes later. Nothing obvious about his poo or pee, all normal looking.

But it's a good practice to observe their litterbox behavior so that you can rule out any unforeseen health issues and also keep track of their routine that is not out of the ordinary.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a near 12 y/o fixed indoor/outdoor female that always does both within a few minutes, then back inside quick !!

• Purraise
Reactions: F+V