Polyps/Feline Orofacial Pain Syndrome

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry you are going through this. I had a similar experience when my cat (11 1/2 year old at the time) had a deep cleaning. Later I found out from another vet, he had a mass under his tongue that was overlooked.
Sending you good vibes :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he will eat the soup, let him have it. It may not be nutritionally complete, but until you determine what is going on, he has to eat. Will he eat any pate if the soup is put on top of it, or any other blending of soft foods?

Depending on how the discussion with the vet goes, I would push for a CT as soon as you can get it.
Thank you, he has begun eating a bit more...I trick him with getting his favourite creamy treat on top, so he licks more of other food with it...
The way I see, it is his biting that is affected, as it seems to manage with just licking...

I will push for CT definitely...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry you are going through this. I had a similar experience when my cat (11 1/2 year old at the time) had a deep cleaning. Later I found out from another vet, he had a mass under his tongue that was overlooked.
My cat has a mass under his tongue, this has been spotted...we are unsure what type of mass it is and I am concerned that this is cancerous...

I just read your post about Mittens, sorry for your loss ..

It sounds similar with Rysiek, although they checked his tongue, as prior to visit and dental cleaning, he had had symptoms of head shaking and tongue rolling, so they were looking for the reason for this...

I so much regret that we went last month as since then he has never recovered...I think that during intubation and assessment the mass was aggravated and never settled...so I think it may be growing and that I will loose him...
He is my world, I have had him over two years, he is only three...and such a great company and character...

Last edited:

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has been on Loxicom/meloxicam for around two weeks now...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a question, if you ok to talk about this, did they do CT scan, biopsy. My vet says that biopsy from the tongue area is quite difficult, as lots of blood vessels...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is with the vet now, getting sedated, as additionally blood tests and x-ray will be done...
This is with the vet who assessed him and his usual vet, so she will be able to compare if anything has changed...

I feel overwhelmed, mixture of dread and waiting for the worst diagnosis and guilt that I exposed him again to the travel and vet assessment, including waiting room unfortunately with some dogs as well...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back home. The lesion is bigger unfortunately, still no diagnosis, a referral for CT and biopsy will be made today...She was unsure what it could be but did not rule out the tumor. His x-ray was without abnormality, blood tests a bit elevated, but this is to be expected after almost two months on medication. The rest of the blood was sent to laboratory, the results on Monday...
More steroids prescribed, this time oral ones, Prednicare

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You aren't putting him in his crate and driving him around town for the heck of it. Don't feel bad about that. You have to find out what is going on, even if that mass is benign. Did they give you a window in which the CT and biopsy might be done?

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It may take up to one month ..

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is so sad to watch him...perhaps this is stupid, but I thought of taking another cat, so he will have some distraction and company...
He is completely indoor cat, so perhaps it would make his life a bit happier...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is something of which you would be the best judge. There is no right or wrong. If he likes other cats, it might be a good idea. If it will stress him, maybe not.

How is his eating today?

Let us know when you have the results of the work done today.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is something of which you would be the best judge. There is no right or wrong. If he likes other cats, it might be a good idea. If it will stress him, maybe not.

How is his eating today?

Let us know when you have the results of the work done today.
He ate 1.5 pouch today! And his normal treats, Lick-a-licks. I noticed that he ate his food at night...
I gave him his first steroid tablet in his "smoothie"...
He is a bit aloof, as if showing me that he did not like yesterday's vet visit...

I will have his blood tests results on Monday...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please don’t get another cat. This will stress him and stress is the last thing he needs right now. Cats aren’t people. They like to be alone.
Valid point, thank you. Also feeding would have been difficult,as Rysiek cannot eat certain food and it stresses him when I give him something he wants but cannot chew...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel tormented seeing him wanting to eat something, but unable to handle it. As I bought some chicken breasts, his usual habit was to have some of them...
I cut really tiny pieces, smaller than green peas (about half of it), he ate maybe five and then was unable to carry on...
I wonder if eating is painful for him...
I had to stop loxicom as it is not supposed to be at the same time as steroids. Apparently steroids have some painkilling action as well...

He is still recovering from sedation, but has eaten almost three pouches of soft wet food...
Just cannot eat his favourite treats...😿

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried to make a smoothie from his favourite chicken food, he had tried it and then he just jumped and run away from a dish...I think it was not completely free from bits, although so tiny...

I don't think he is getting any better. Second day on prednisolone. But perhaps he is still recovering from Friday's procedure and meds...
He is sleepy...

I have a next visit scheduled for 13th for the painkiller injection, Solensia...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Let him have whatever texture food that he will eat. He may have had a favorite, but he needs to have enough nutrition so that he stays healthy in that respect.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has been a bit unsettled today, more head shaking...
I will give him Prednicare today evening and tomorrow I will give him once daily. I was supposed to give him twice daily 1mg for two days...so today evening will be last day of two a day...
Could it be still too potent to him?

I almost regret that I asked the vet to examine him three weeks ago under a general anaesthetic...since then he has not recovered...up to the he was happy eating everything...
I think this was intubation that affected his tongue and made the inflammation worse...the "tumor" is towards the end of his tongue...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The most common side effects of pred are increased appetite and drinking, sometimes urination. There are other side effects at high doses or that occur with long term use. If this was a 2 day prescription, I don't think that what you are seeing is related to the medication, but I am not a vet, so this is only my opinion.

I think that the mass in his mouth is causing the problems.