raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver has big ambitions. He's not plotting to take over the world, he's plotting to take over the UNIVERSE.

View attachment 191573
mightyboosh mightyboosh - what's Oliver's weight now? That big hairy thing just might be able to take over Great Britain. If he had Bob's help, they'd almost certainly succeed in eating everything edible world domination.

Here's Bob, plotting to... oh, come on... we all know what Bob's plotting. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Snacks. More snacks.

bob_scottiecat.jpg

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1Cat, Bob and Oliver would make a great team but would be too dangerous for the world if it were to be so.
He started off at near as damn it 20lbs when I discovered him. The vet quoted his weight in kg, I've forgotten what it was but she converted it to lbs. When I took him to the vets again a few weeks later he had lost 600g which I wasn't surprised about due to his upheaval and settling in with us. I'm unable to weigh him accurately so he'll be going back for a free weight check soon. He's a bit fussy so I'm slowly figuring out what diet is best for him. I'm trying wet food as well as the dry. The previous owner said he was just fed on Purina One but I've read a few things on here that said a purely dry diet, especially for an older cat, is not the healthiest. Your thoughts would be most welcome oh wise one.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mightyboosh mightyboosh - No wisdom from me, I'm afraid. My ten cats all feed ad libitum on dry food, though to be honest, they really don't eat much of it. They get canned three times daily (Bob actually will go through five cans, although his weight does seem to have stabilised at a fraction over thirty-five pounds, and he seems to be eating less these last few months), but even then, the foxes in the woods behind the house reap the benefits more often than not.

I've read often that a strictly dry food diet will affect their health, and shorten cats' lives by as much as one third. My late Father's Siamese, Tori, wouldn't even give canned food a second glance, and when she passed on in April of 2006, was so thin and frail that her skin was nearly translucent. Then again, she was born in April of 1976, and saw her veterinarian only once - for her spay and vaccinations - so dry food seems not to have adversely affected her health, nor to have appreciably shortened her Life, eh?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, Oliver is huge! I'm sure World Domination is entirely possible.

Little Boy weighs 8 kilos, which is 1 stone, 3 lbs and 10 oz. Free feeding him dry and 2 meals of canned a day seemed to be his downfall. I've tried to limit the amount of dry he has and he's lost half a kilo in the last 12 months.

LittleBoy34.jpg

Here he is doing his best to look handsome so I'll relent and feed him more treats.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, Oliver is huge! I'm sure World Domination is entirely possible.

Little Boy weighs 8 kilos, which is 1 stone, 3 lbs and 10 oz. Free feeding him dry and 2 meals of canned a day seemed to be his downfall. I've tried to limit the amount of dry he has and he's lost half a kilo in the last 12 months.

View attachment 191661
Here he is doing his best to look handsome so I'll relent and feed him more treats.
Norachan Norachan - You're an enabler, you know.

;)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, yes, I know.

He's just so darned handsome, I'm powerless to resist.

:tongue:

Norachan Norachan - Yeah - I get it. I felt the same way about Bob for a while... thinking that he might be growing too fast, and I even had a medical opinion on the matter specifically (actually more like a groan than an opinion, since Bob Loves pizza my veterinarian, and will often leap into his lap hoping to snag a slice of pizza, like some treat-seeking missile), but I think he's finally ceased growing (Bob, that is - not my vet, who continues eating pizza and drinking stouts and ales, and thus, continues growing). Besides, Friskies Party Mix is cheap when you buy them by the case, and a 20 ounce jar will last ten cats almost forever. Well... pretty close to a week, anyway.

;)

Edit: Rats! I think I might be an enabler.