Please read and help! Urgent need for rescue and fosters for homeless cats and kittens

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a population explosion on my block some years back because of people just like Sweet Pea's so called owner who never got their cats spayed or neutered. There were male cats I know for sure someone must of owned because they came to mate and left after that. Also I suspect some of the females of being "kicked to the curb" when the enviable happened. These kind of people are very ignorant and irresponsible-- it is very frustrating I know. Todd should have another trapper come in and trap and tnr this cat. If the owners come to him to bitch about their cat being tnred 🙄 then tell them another trapper did the job. No collar or tags and intact is fair game for tnr trapping. Shame on these owners!😠

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a population explosion on my block some years back because of people just like Sweet Pea's so called owner who never got their cats spayed or neutered. There were male cats I know for sure someone must of owned because they came to mate and left after that. Also I suspect some of the females of being "kicked to the curb" when the enviable happened. These kind of people are very ignorant and irresponsible-- it is very frustrating I know. Todd should have another trapper come in and trap and tnr this cat. If the owners come to him to bitch about their cat being tnred 🙄 then tell them another trapper did the job. No collar or tags and intact is fair game for tnr trapping. Shame on these owners!😠
In our neighborhood 2 locations ago, there were a lot of "community cats" and a couple of neighbors fed them, how regularly, IDK. We fed them regularly, spayed/neutered/adopted over the years, and some of the little "very adoptable" kittens were rescued and adopted. Everyone else joined our family, of course, except for one little guy who slipped the trap. Our policy was that any cat who came into our yard got a vet exam, innoculations and spay/neuter. *Dont' ask, don't tell.*

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
In our neighborhood 2 locations ago, there were a lot of "community cats" and a couple of neighbors fed them, how regularly, IDK. We fed them regularly, spayed/neutered/adopted over the years, and some of the little "very adoptable" kittens were rescued and adopted. Everyone else joined our family, of course, except for one little guy who slipped the trap. Our policy was that any cat who came into our yard got a vet exam, innoculations and spay/neuter. *Dont' ask, don't tell.*
Don't ask, don't tell. It has to be this way because of the irresponsible cat owners. It is doing a service to the community. If people did their part the cat population wouldn't get so out of control. It is a human problem. The cats are doing what is natural-- the humans are being ignorant, lazy, apathetic, and irresponsible. We can do our best to fix the cat over population problem, but how do we fix it from the other end? I am all for educating, but you run into these stubborn fools who never get it and there are plenty of those! Very frustrating! Smh!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't ask, don't tell. It has to be this way because of the irresponsible cat owners. It is doing a service to the community. If people did their part the cat population wouldn't get so out of control. It is a human problem. The cats are doing what is natural-- the humans are being ignorant, lazy, apathetic, and irresponsible. We can do our best to fix the cat over population problem, but how do we fix it from the other end? I am all for educating, but you run into these stubborn fools who never get it and there are plenty of those! Very frustrating! Smh!
I always yell for education from the first time the kids attend school. Because not everyone has kind, caring, personally responsible parents/guardians/family. Beyond that, I yell for everyone who is able, as we were then, to just take the responsibility. Care and walk the talk. I can't do that any more financially, and fortunately, the city we live in mandated TNR as municipal policy before we moved here, thanks to other activists who, I'm sure, fought and yelled and worked to get it done. That's how it generally happens, because our anthropocentric world no longer recognizes that what affects one (species/individual) affects all. People who think they don't like cats don't like them because in their eyes, there are too many of them on the streets. If we could continue our work of spay/neuter/TNR and adopt for life, it would not be that way. Any commodity or living being that/who is rare will be valued much more than those that/who are plentiful. I have friends in Finland and I have never been there so I can't say definitively what the scenario is there, but they say that if you want a cat in Finland, you have to pay for one. Though I abhor buying and selling living beings, I understand that the Finnish people just may have spayed and neutered their cats to the point that they do not have cats on the streets. So, they value their cats.
We were spaying/neutering fiercely until COVID and the Surgeon General's disastrous policy change. We're still in COVID, and IDK if the Surgeon General has changed, but I do know Biden doesn't care about animals except for his own dogs, so until we can get spay/neuter made non-"elective" once again, we are backsliding and innocent cats are paying the price.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I always yell for education from the first time the kids attend school. Because not everyone has kind, caring, personally responsible parents/guardians/family. Beyond that, I yell for everyone who is able, as we were then, to just take the responsibility. Care and walk the talk. I can't do that any more financially, and fortunately, the city we live in mandated TNR as municipal policy before we moved here, thanks to other activists who, I'm sure, fought and yelled and worked to get it done. That's how it generally happens, because our anthropocentric world no longer recognizes that what affects one (species/individual) affects all. People who think they don't like cats don't like them because in their eyes, there are too many of them on the streets. If we could continue our work of spay/neuter/TNR and adopt for life, it would not be that way. Any commodity or living being that/who is rare will be valued much more than those that/who are plentiful. I have friends in Finland and I have never been there so I can't say definitively what the scenario is there, but they say that if you want a cat in Finland, you have to pay for one. Though I abhor buying and selling living beings, I understand that the Finnish people just may have spayed and neutered their cats to the point that they do not have cats on the streets. So, they value their cats.
We were spaying/neutering fiercely until COVID and the Surgeon General's disastrous policy change. We're still in COVID, and IDK if the Surgeon General has changed, but I do know Biden doesn't care about animals except for his own dogs, so until we can get spay/neuter made non-"elective" once again, we are backsliding and innocent cats are paying the price.
I absolutely agree l. Educate the children so they can grow up and be a part of the solution, not the problem. It is so frustrating that we backslide (due to this pandemic). I think tnr should have been still ongoing--just take every precaution possible to stay safe. At least the females should have been tnred,so they didn't reproduce. Now it seems we are just going backwards altogether. We could do so much better than this. Pity!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely agree l. Educate the children so they can grow up and be a part of the solution, not the problem. It is so frustrating that we backslide (due to this pandemic). I think tnr should have been still ongoing--just take every precaution possible to stay safe. At least the females should have been tnred,so they didn't reproduce. Now it seems we are just going backwards altogether. We could do so much better than this. Pity!
Absolutely. Because as we both know, it's not only cat lovers who would benefit! It is cheaper to spay/neuter than take these innocent lives. And if we could have continued unabated with our work, we were well on the way to achieving our goal. But there are still thousands of us each doing what we can, and some day, the policy will open up again and we will achieve it. We won't give up! The present SG is definitely a big improvement over the Trump-era one:
The Senate confirms Dr. Vivek Murthy to be the surgeon general — again.
but he is very anthropocentric as well. It's understandable that COVID is #1 priority now, but I believe that it is past time to open up spay/neuter again and allow PPE to be shared. The case and death rates are down significantly for COVID. We need to proceed.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. Because as we both know, it's not only cat lovers who would benefit! It is cheaper to spay/neuter than take these innocent lives. And if we could have continued unabated with our work, we were well on the way to achieving our goal. But there are still thousands of us each doing what we can, and some day, the policy will open up again and we will achieve it. We won't give up! The present SG is definitely a big improvement over the Trump-era one:
The Senate confirms Dr. Vivek Murthy to be the surgeon general — again.
but he is very anthropocentric as well. It's understandable that COVID is #1 priority now, but I believe that it is past time to open up spay/neuter again and allow PPE to be shared. The case and death rates are down significantly for COVID. We need to proceed.
Thanks, I will read up on that. Have a good night.