Please help!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get the kitty checked for dental issues, swelling in lymph nodes and a thyroid check. The swallowing issue may be a strong clue to treating her and get it done as soon as you can. Iv nutrition or fluids may help. If you can find a vet that is specific to cats , that may help but go online and kind of check to see if you can find someone with some good reviews. Also make sure food is actually swallowed if you can tell. Sometimes it can stay in their mouth or cheeks. Soft or liquid nutrition might be easiest. Thin liquids may or may not be easier. Did you try the gel or even unflavored yogurt? Just tiny licks at a time. The Pedialyte dilution needs to be given very slowly and carefully so she doesn’t choke. Even if it’s just drops at a time. There are other things that can be causing this. Since the vet just agreed with you, I’d want another vet to see her. Don’t give up until you have better information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get the kitty checked for dental issues, swelling in lymph nodes and a thyroid check. The swallowing issue may be a strong clue to treating her and get it done as soon as you can. Iv nutrition or fluids may help. If you can find a vet that is specific to cats , that may help but go online and kind of check to see if you can find someone with some good reviews. Also make sure food is actually swallowed if you can tell. Sometimes it can stay in their mouth or cheeks. Soft or liquid nutrition might be easiest. Thin liquids may or may not be easier. Did you try the gel or even unflavored yogurt? Just tiny licks at a time. The Pedialyte dilution needs to be given very slowly and carefully so she doesn’t choke. Even if it’s just drops at a time. There are other things that can be causing this. Since the vet just agreed with you, I’d want another vet to see her. Don’t give up until you have better information.
That’s what I want is better information. Agreeing with me was not satisfactory. Not trying to delve a bit deeper was not satisfactory either. I live in a small New Mexico town only 3 vet clinics. I’m going to make an appointment tomorrow at one I feel seems better. She totally freaks out when I put the syringe by her mouth and she becomes very stressed. I put the nuturacal gel into her mouth today, she took 3 licks of yogurt maybe 5 pieces of kibble and about 2 tsp. of salmon pate. She’s refused the baby meat today. If I can get a video of her eating and you can see how she swallows, I’ll post it. I’ve decided I’m not giving up on her.♥ 🤗

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you haven't already, get copies of any tests and the vet notes for when you take her to the new vet. You are correct imho that she needs second opinion. (and as others have said as well.) Try to get her in as soon as you can.

The inject of antibiotic you spoke about - was it amoxicillin as well - or something else?

*sending you healing vibes*

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you haven't already, get copies of any tests and the vet notes for when you take her to the new vet. You are correct imho that she needs second opinion. (and as others have said as well.) Try to get her in as soon as you can.

The inject of antibiotic you spoke about - was it amoxicillin as well - or something else?

*sending you healing vibes*
I’ll get paperwork tomorrow and get her to a new vet as well. Gosh, I don’t even know what antibiotic shot they gave her. I put our kitty in the vets hands and just took for granted she truly knew what was best for her. 😞

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Get her there tomorrow if any way possible. I’d like to see the vet be more proactive in her treatment. IV fluids might make her feel better. Check her teeth! Sometimes it can be something simple that we miss. The pain of a tooth could make her swallowing hard. Pain meds might help. I don’t really know but there should be something available to give her some relief. Make a list of things you want done , checked or to have tested. Did the vet feel her neck, check for gland swelling, check teeth or thyroid? How is bloodworm reading? Anemia or anything? Something should indicate what’s going on in her system. Once you have some answers, you’ll have a direction to follow.
You liked the sheep herding bunny? Me too. I would never eat her grass! Apparently she watched the dogs there that herds and just started doing that. There are more bodies of her doing that and I am amazed that such a little bunny can scare big sheep into running away! Sooo funny.

Have you seen the photo threads here on TCS? There are some hilarious pictures. Cats in boxes, Cat Tongues Thursday, I has an expresshun. If you haven’t found any of these I can post links. I’ve spent a lot of time looking through them and smiling. There is a song thread here too. People post favorites. A lot of great music has shown up there.
If you want another distraction, let me know. Lol
Keep trying with various lickable foods for her.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You van’t Kick yourself for trusting the vet. That was the correct thing. Questioning them now is also okay. Just go forward from here. If the new vet needs her records and you don’t have the info, the records can be sent online. When you call the new vet, tell them what you know and jot down when she has a seizure. Had she just eaten, been startled etc. If so, what? Each bit of info is a clue. Keep her away from any blinking or flashing lights like Christmas tree lights. I don’t know if it’s the same for cats but those lights can trigger a seizure in humans.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. Get her there tomorrow if any way possible. I’d like to see the vet be more proactive in her treatment. IV fluids might make her feel better. Check her teeth! Sometimes it can be something simple that we miss. The pain of a tooth could make her swallowing hard. Pain meds might help. I don’t really know but there should be something available to give her some relief. Make a list of things you want done , checked or to have tested. Did the vet feel her neck, check for gland swelling, check teeth or thyroid? How is bloodworm reading? Anemia or anything? Something should indicate what’s going on in her system. Once you have some answers, you’ll have a direction to follow.
You liked the sheep herding bunny? Me too. I would never eat her grass! Apparently she watched the dogs there that herds and just started doing that. There are more bodies of her doing that and I am amazed that such a little bunny can scare big sheep into running away! Sooo funny.

Have you seen the photo threads here on TCS? There are some hilarious pictures. Cats in boxes, Cat Tongues Thursday, I has an expresshun. If you haven’t found any of these I can post links. I’ve spent a lot of time looking through them and smiling. There is a song thread here too. People post favorites. A lot of great music has shown up there.
The last thing vet said to me was “blood work looks good” and no FeLV or

No

You van’t Kick yourself for trusting the vet. That was the correct thing. Questioning them now is also okay. Just go forward from here. If the new vet needs her records and you don’t have the info, the records can be sent online. When you call the new vet, tell them what you know and jot down when she has a seizure. Had she just eaten, been startled etc. If so, what? Each bit of info is a clue. Keep her away from any blinking or flashing lights like Christmas tree lights. I don’t know if it’s the same for cats but those lights can trigger a seizure in humans.
Ok and some other virus 🦠 she was negative on, the vet did a thorough external exam on her, neck mouth, organs, tooter, she said she felt nothing abnormal. And ya know what I don’t think she did a CBC. Ugh, I’m at a loss. The seizure she had tonight started after I wiped her fur with a warm cloth, she seems to be getting spooked, or anxious. Too many things going on. She ate a little more this evening so I was happy. I think iv therapy would help her tremendously.
anyway the video was hilarious I loved it and needed the laughter. I have not seen the photo threads, I will look, distractions are nice. 🤗♥

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a good idea of how to proceed with the vet work. A CBC would be good and you’ve eliminated some important things too. Step by step. You’re doing great keeping up with the details. Over stimulation can be a trigger for seizures so just keep track of what seems to get her nervous or what is calming. Maybe very light strokes to wipe her if she needs cleaning up.
I’ll post some links to some of those photo threads. There are some really funny pictures and captions on many of them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can find a vet that is specific to cats , that may help but go online and kind of check to see if you can find someone with some good reviews.
I live in a small New Mexico town only 3 vet clinics.
This may be too far from where you live, but there's a Cat Clinic in Albuquerque.

Albuquerque Cat Clinic
7007 Jefferson Avenue NE
Suite D2
Albuquerque New Mexico 87112
Phone: (505) 323-1460
Practice Type: Feline Only
abqcatclinic.com

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has feline leukemia and almost died from an upper respiritory infection. The vet had me put him in a carrier, hook up a nebulizer machine and use 1/2 vial of albuterol, set the mask inside the carrier, and cover the whole thing with a blanket to contain the mist. He did well on this after all else failed. He is strong now, three months later.....People with small children often have nebulizer machines, and would let you borrow them, or the vet might have one. Call your vet and see if he would approve of this and give you the medication. There is also a medication on Amazon called Homeopet Feline Nose Relief for around 8.00 that I keep on hand too, it works well for URI's. You might ask about an injection of steroids too, they work well for inflammation of the lungs. I'll pray for your little one, sending healing vibes....:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This may be too far from where you live, but there's a Cat Clinic in Albuquerque.

Albuquerque Cat Clinic
7007 Jefferson Avenue NE
Suite D2
Albuquerque New Mexico 87112
Phone: (505) 323-1460
Practice Type: Feline Only
abqcatclinic.com
4 hours away...but if worse comes to worst I’ll drive! 🤗♥