Please help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has feline leukemia and almost died from an upper respiritory infection. The vet had me put him in a carrier, hook up a nebulizer machine and use 1/2 vial of albuterol, set the mask inside the carrier, and cover the whole thing with a blanket to contain the mist. He did well on this after all else failed. He is strong now, three months later.....People with small children often have nebulizer machines, and would let you borrow them, or the vet might have one. Call your vet and see if he would approve of this and give you the medication. There is also a medication on Amazon called Homeopet Feline Nose Relief for around 8.00 that I keep on hand too, it works well for URI's. You might ask about an injection of steroids too, they work well for inflammation of the lungs. I'll pray for your little one, sending healing vibes....:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you🤗🤗🤗♥♥♥
My biggest concern is her not eating. She seems to want to, but turns her head.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't think about the FIP right now- just concentrate on getting her to eat. I am glad you are seeking a second opinion- vets have been known to be wrong before. My Siamese was thought to have FIP by one vet and I kept him completely isolated from the rest of the cats for a summer. He became seriously depressed. When I finally had blood work from TWO vets performed the results were negative.

Whatever fate holds in store, remember that you loved this little feline and you did so much for her.

We are rooting for you, your family, and this precious little girl.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't think about the FIP right now- just concentrate on getting her to eat. I am glad you are seeking a second opinion- vets have been known to be wrong before. My Siamese was thought to have FIP by one vet and I kept him completely isolated from the rest of the cats for a summer. He became seriously depressed. When I finally had blood work from TWO vets performed the results were negative.

Whatever fate holds in store, remember that you loved this little feline and you did so much for her.

Thank you so very much! 😭🤗♥

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is stopped up in the nose or has congestion then it can stop her from eating. The suggestions by di and bob di and bob are good ones. If she can breathe, she may eat. The swallowing problem can be related to that as well as the seizures. I used my daughters nebulizer on my dog when he needed it and it worked great. There are other ways to deliver breathing treatments if needed. Do continue trying to keep her airway/nose open with steam/drops or whatever you have until you can get more info.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is stopped up in the nose or has congestion then it can stop her from eating. The suggestions by di and bob di and bob are good ones. If she can breathe, she may eat. The swallowing problem can be related to that as well as the seizures. I used my daughters nebulizer on my dog when he needed it and it worked great. There are other ways to deliver breathing treatments if needed. Do continue trying to keep her airway/nose open with steam/drops or whatever you have until you can get more info.
I’ve got a nebulizer, what can I put in it?

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call your vet for the correct dosage based on your cat's weight and age. My 10 lb cat was given a half vial of albuterol and a half syringe of normal saline in the little 'basket' and then that hooked up to the nebulizer. The piece where the treated air comes out was put in the carrier with the cat and the whole thing covered with a blanket to keep the air contained. It took about ten minutes.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your Vet say it was the "wet" form of FIP or the "dry" form?

Were you able to get her seen today, at another Vet in town, for that second opinion?
It's odd that the first Vet did not give her any steroid shot, vitamin shot, or IV fluid....or even do a complete blood analysis.
Definitely get that second opinion.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did your Vet say it was the "wet" form of FIP or the "dry" form?

Were you able to get her seen today, at another Vet in town, for that second opinion?
It's odd that the first Vet did not give her any steroid shot, vitamin shot, or IV fluid....or even do a complete blood analysis.
Definitely get that second opinion.
I’ve got an appointment on Monday. Somehow every vet is booked.
I was the one that asked about dry FIP if it were a possibility. She told me no, she didn’t feel like that was it at all. She was thinking it was feline leukemia or FIV. So she said she wanted to do bloodwork, I agreed. Test were negative. Said everything looked good. I took for granted obviously, that she did more. Hence saying “everything looked good” and no FL or Fiv so that’s great” and she palpated her once again and said she felt no granuloma on organs, and probably needed another antibiotic along with appetite stimulant. 24 hours after she’d been given the amoxicillin, she began having small seizures. I called the office and spoke with her asking her could she have had a reaction to either medication causing the seizures. She said no. It could be FIP since she’s beginning to show neurological signs. And told me if it were her pet, euthanasia was the best thing. You, know she’s the vet not me, I put my lil kitty into HER hands to give us answers. And she took MY question from NO to well it must be. I began looking up allergic reactions to amoxicillin in cats, sure enough seizure was one side affect. I stopped the amoxicillin immediately...and she’s only had 1 since I stopped it. So I’ll go to another vet get bloodwork and see if we can’t find out what is going on with her.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

[/
I would call your vet for the correct dosage based on your cat's weight and age. My 10 lb cat was given a half vial of albuterol and a half syringe of normal saline in the little 'basket' and then that hooked up to the nebulizer. The piece where the treated air comes out was put in the carrier with the cat and the whole thing covered with a blanket to keep the air contained. It took about ten minutes.
sounds good. 🥰 Blu-bird is about 3 pounds.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bookish1 Bookish1 You have a nebulizer? Fantastic! You really need a vet to give you the dosage amount since she is little but albuterol is what I have used too. If you can put the carrier a little away from the noise of the nebulizer and do as di and bob di and bob explained it should help. Can you call the vet? They only need to talk to you on the phone for this. Sometimes we have to be polite but insistent. I have just shown up at their office before when I felt I needed to. Text, call, email until someone answers you. Even if you have to push the vet you already saw into giving you the correct medicine/dosage.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She sat in a box today. 🥰
Bookish1 Bookish1 You have a nebulizer? Fantastic! You really need a vet to give you the dosage amount since she is little but albuterol is what I have used too. If you can put the carrier a little away from the noise of the nebulizer and do as di and bob di and bob explained it should help. Can you call the vet? They only need to talk to you on the phone for this. Sometimes we have to be polite but insistent. I have just shown up at their office before when I felt I needed to. Text, call, email until someone answers you. Even if you have to push the vet you already saw into giving you the correct medicine/dosage.
I’ll do that tomorrow. 🤗 I’ve even got albuterol.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww! She is enjoying a box! I love it. Yes! Tomorrow push to get help. Nicely but firmly. Pleading as needed.
Very glad you liked the cat threads here. The one with the videos is one I can re watch over and over and I still laugh. There are lots of great threads here. The photo and video forum gets me every time.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve got an appointment on Monday. Somehow every vet is booked.
I was the one that asked about dry FIP if it were a possibility. She told me no, she didn’t feel like that was it at all. She was thinking it was feline leukemia or FIV. So she said she wanted to do bloodwork, I agreed. Test were negative. Said everything looked good. I took for granted obviously, that she did more. Hence saying “everything looked good” and no FL or Fiv so that’s great” and she palpated her once again and said she felt no granuloma on organs, and probably needed another antibiotic along with appetite stimulant. 24 hours after she’d been given the amoxicillin, she began having small seizures. I called the office and spoke with her asking her could she have had a reaction to either medication causing the seizures. She said no. It could be FIP since she’s beginning to show neurological signs. And told me if it were her pet, euthanasia was the best thing. You, know she’s the vet not me, I put my lil kitty into HER hands to give us answers. And she took MY question from NO to well it must be. I began looking up allergic reactions to amoxicillin in cats, sure enough seizure was one side affect. I stopped the amoxicillin immediately...and she’s only had 1 since I stopped it. So I’ll go to another vet get bloodwork and see if we can’t find out what is going on with her.
Bookish1 Bookish1 ....you're doing everything right. :alright: :hugs: :grouphug:

I was just wondering why with having a fever, not eating, and Blu-bird looking so ill, that the Blood results did not show anything with high white counts, anemia, or any other things being off. It's strange.

(It does not sound like it's the wet form, because one of my rainbow cats from the early 1990s, did develop the wet form of Fip.
The vet gave her a round of antibiotics, at first, thinking it was only a URI, and she seemed to improve, then 2 weeks after ending the antibiotics, she became ill again, and had fluid on the abdomen, pushing up against her lungs. The vet tried draining the fluid, and showed me the straw coloured liquid which he removed. Unfortunately, she did not make it, and was only 2.5 years old.)
I hate this awful illness.

Sending you all the Health vibes for your Blu-bird.
And remember to get the bloodwork/reports from the first vet, since you paid for them, they belong to you.
Usually, I just ask for them to be emailed to me, for my own records.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bookish1 Bookish1 ....you're doing everything right. :alright: :hugs: :grouphug:

I was just wondering why with having a fever, not eating, and Blu-bird looking so ill, that the Blood results did not show anything with high white counts, anemia, or any other things being off. It's strange.

(It does not sound like it's the wet form, because one of my rainbow cats from the early 1990s, did develop the wet form of Fip.
The vet gave her a round of antibiotics, at first, thinking it was only a URI, and she seemed to improve, then 2 weeks after ending the antibiotics, she became ill again, and had fluid on the abdomen, pushing up against her lungs. The vet tried draining the fluid, and showed me the straw coloured liquid which he removed. Unfortunately, she did not make it, and was only 2.5 years old.)
I hate this awful illness.

Sending you all the Health vibes for your Blu-bird.
And remember to get the bloodwork/reports from the first vet, since you paid for them, they belong to you.
Usually, I just ask for them to be emailed to me, for my own records.
I don’t want her to have this, I’m just so worried about it. Do you happen to know what is considered a normal temp for a cat? The vet said hers was on the high end of normal and may have been brought on my the stress of the visits. I don’t think she the vet did a CBC... she acted like she did, but I don’t think so. And dry FIP wasn’t even a concern or a thought until I brought it up. I’m just completely overwhelmed and confused. She hasn’t gotten any worse nor any better.
You’re poor baby😭 breaks my heart, we love them so much and do anything for them. ♥🤗

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t want her to have this, I’m just so worried about it. Do you happen to know what is considered a normal temp for a cat? The vet said hers was on the high end of normal and may have been brought on my the stress of the visits. I don’t think she the vet did a CBC... she acted like she did, but I don’t think so. And dry FIP wasn’t even a concern or a thought until I brought it up. I’m just completely overwhelmed and confused. She hasn’t gotten any worse nor any better.
You’re poor baby😭 breaks my heart, we love them so much and do anything for them. ♥🤗
No, I'm sorry, I don't actually know what is considered a normal temp for a cat.
I've only ever watched my vets do it, using a rectal thermometer and some lubricant.
Online, you can find some sites, that mention this, but they also seem to vary slightly in degrees.

If your vet said that she was on the high end of normal, then that sounds good.
Perhaps Blu-bird's immune system can fight off whatever this is.

But yes, have them do a complete blood count,CBC, with electrolytes, too.
Sometimes vets will only do 'in-house' blood tests, but I think the ones that they send out, to outside labs, are more accurate.
(It does depend on the cost, too, and what you can afford. 'In house', is usually less expensive.)

You'll know tomorrow, when you call your vet for that extra info, just ask her to send you the blood results that were already done.
(yeah, it devastated me at the time. It was a disease that I had never heard of back then.)
I think they may be developing some treatments, but not sure if they are still experimental.
It's good to call around other vets and ask about this.