Please help with big decision

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for chiming in guys :rock:

She has been in the Cathouse all day except to go in her room to eat and use the litter box. So great to see her expanding her territory :D. I have to find some soft mats for her to lay on as the perch's on the house are a bit hard. Always something!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for chiming in guys :rock:

She has been in the Cathouse all day except to go in her room to eat and use the litter box. So great to see her expanding her territory :D. I have to find some soft mats for her to lay on as the perch's on the house are a bit hard. Always something!
I have the same- sherpa type covering ,I think they like it actually-I used to have little cushions up there but it's safer with nothing moveable up there when they zoom up or down and it goes flying out from under their feet..... if you do put anything up there be sure to use 2sided carpet tape or velcro..... one of my cats went right over but thankfully landed safely on the ground from a mat on the top perch❤

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dynah Update!

Hi guys. Been a while since my last update. Dynah is continuing to move forward. She is getting more confident almost by the day. The Cat house was a big success and she spends most of her time in it, even sleeping late into the night in the top bunk!

She is roaming the house more at night and after her dinner, she will sneak upstairs and look around there. Then she will usually walk past me in the living room after, and head back down to the Cat house...so funny! She also for the first time ventured out onto my back porch. It is a very long and narrow unheated room, but with many windows. She has not got into any of the windows yet as she is still very wary of this room!

Something in the upstairs closet up there interests as well, her so I leave that door open too. She has also begun to play a lot up there. That room is carpeted unlike the rest of the house (all hardwood flooring and old tiles) so I think she really likes the feeling of the carpet under her paws :). I will post a video of her playing up there when I get a chance...IT IS SO FUNNY.

Another thing was that I removed one of the two boxes last week that was used as a barrier for under her bed. You know, as a security cushion for her. She had no problem with that. Today, I took out the remaining box, so now there is nothing between her, and the outside room except for a thin white blanket! No problem too!!! In fact, I think she likes to run through the blanket to chase the balls when we play!

But, Today was a Special Day. This morning, I was talking with her as she was sitting watching me prepare her breakfast, and she finally MEOWED back to me :yess:
This was the first time she has meowed since I took her in 3 months ago. So heartwarming and wonderful!!! I have been yearning to hear her voice and it is a sweet MEE-OW!

She also is letting me get really close to her at the end of her bed and in the hallway, and has let me touch her paws with a small soft ball without running back in fear. She is loosing her fear of me more and more but still keeps her guard up most other times. I am really happy with her progress!!!

Thanks for reading and I hope to post another video soon!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Dynah Update!

Hi guys. Been a while since my last update. Dynah is continuing to move forward. She is getting more confident almost by the day. The Cat house was a big success and she spends most of her time in it, even sleeping late into the night in the top bunk!

She is roaming the house more at night and after her dinner, she will sneak upstairs and look around there. Then she will usually walk past me in the living room after, and head back down to the Cat house...so funny! She also for the first time ventured out onto my back porch. It is a very long and narrow unheated room, but with many windows. She has not got into any of the windows yet as she is still very wary of this room!

Something in the upstairs closet up there interests as well, her so I leave that door open too. She has also begun to play a lot up there. That room is carpeted unlike the rest of the house (all hardwood flooring and old tiles) so I think she really likes the feeling of the carpet under her paws :). I will post a video of her playing up there when I get a chance...IT IS SO FUNNY.

Another thing was that I removed one of the two boxes last week that was used as a barrier for under her bed. You know, as a security cushion for her. She had no problem with that. Today, I took out the remaining box, so now there is nothing between her, and the outside room except for a thin white blanket! No problem too!!! In fact, I think she likes to run through the blanket to chase the balls when we play!

But, Today was a Special Day. This morning, I was talking with her as she was sitting watching me prepare her breakfast, and she finally MEOWED back to me :yess:
This was the first time she has meowed since I took her in 3 months ago. So heartwarming and wonderful!!! I have been yearning to hear her voice and it is a sweet MEE-OW!

She also is letting me get really close to her at the end of her bed and in the hallway, and has let me touch her paws with a small soft ball without running back in fear. She is loosing her fear of me more and more but still keeps her guard up most other times. I am really happy with her progress!!!

d780d7e34800d94df1d6bfc41d331465.jpg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Dynah Update!

Great update Greg- DYNAHMITE!!!

Now,for your benefit only- she's communicated to YOU- tremendous progress,she's loving her person and wants to tell you how important you are to her❤

So may I suggest you begin a little hand grazing now that the opportune time is there for you

When you touch her little paw with the furry ball just graze the side of her face/neck- below the ear with the back of your hand for a brief second.....I always begin " touch" this way and it's such an easy start,with a fist which resembles a cats head,no fingers sticking out( which resembles claws)

Look forward to your videos❤such wonderful progress👍

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

"So may I suggest you begin a little hand grazing now that the opportune time is there for you

When you touch her little paw with the furry ball just graze the side of her face/neck- below the ear with the back of your hand for a brief second.....I always begin " touch" this way and it's such an easy start,with a fist which resembles a cats head,no fingers sticking out( which resembles claws)"

Thanks for sharing that. I had forgotten about the fist method. I will surely try that next chance.

I finally put together a few video clips for you guys to see HERE. There is a new pic also in that Gallery. I hope you get a kick out of the video!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

"So may I suggest you begin a little hand grazing now that the opportune time is there for you

When you touch her little paw with the furry ball just graze the side of her face/neck- below the ear with the back of your hand for a brief second.....I always begin " touch" this way and it's such an easy start,with a fist which resembles a cats head,no fingers sticking out( which resembles claws)"

Thanks for sharing that. I had forgotten about the fist method. I will surely try that next chance.

I finally put together a few video clips for you guys to see HERE. There is a new pic also in that Gallery. I hope you get a kick out of the video!
Not sure if I get more of a kick out of you or Dynah......delightful,so cute to see her sooo content and comfy playing with her daddy - sounds like your having a ball with your merry little girl💞😻

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! So nice that you all enjoy this ongoing story. It is really something special for me that this has been working out so well so far. I really do adore this little girl very much. It has been a lot of hard work and patience but it has been soooo worth it :):)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! So nice that you all enjoy this ongoing story. It is really something special for me that this has been working out so well so far. I really do adore this little girl very much. It has been a lot of hard work and patience but it has been soooo worth it :):)
What's better than " and they lived happily ever after"? It's like when you watch a wonderful movie with a happy ending ,they're rolling the credits and you're wishing there was more because you fell in love with the main characters,lol

Greg,I love your updates- in this crazy world we live in its good to know there are still loving,kind & compassionate people who care about God's creatures,great and small🥰

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words Kwik :)

So, last night I got up and fumbled into the kitchen and something looked different? The litter box I put in the kitchen the second week Dynah was in the house looked different. I turned on the light and sure enough, she finally used that litter box after 3 months! So now there are 2 boxes I have to clean. What was I thinking haha :lol:

Another good sign of her getting comfortable in the house!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words Kwik :)

So, last night I got up and fumbled into the kitchen and something looked different? The litter box I put in the kitchen the second week Dynah was in the house looked different. I turned on the light and sure enough, she finally used that litter box after 3 months! So now there are 2 boxes I have to clean. What was I thinking haha :lol:

Another good sign of her getting comfortable in the house!
Oh WOW- that's a biggie- feeling very confident & claiming more territory

Excellent update! She's come so far in a short time-such a sweet little girl,you got a real PRIZE( big things come in little packages)

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
DYNAH UPDATE!

Hi again folks. Another quick update and some pics. She is still moving forward and becoming more and more tolerant with me. We are not at the "I will let you touch me" but, she is much more comfortable. We still play together a lot and she seems to love it here as she goes from bedroom to bedroom watching the birds and animals that come everyday. She is also roaming the house much more at night!

Recently, I opened the front door and kept the screen door shut to see her reaction as she was watching me from the hallway. I went outside for a few seconds and when I came in, she had ran down the hall and into the Cathouse. So, she seems afraid to go back outside now. She is still afraid of many, many things. Still HATES that there are "people" inside my TV too. I have been turning the volume off if she does come and look in the living room and this does help some as she will sit and gaze around. I also ordered wireless headphones so that when she sneaks in to see what is going on in the TV room, she won't be spooked by the sound!

Still dreading the day that I bring her to the vets. I need to do this soon as it is now over 3 months since she has been with me.

Anyway, here are a few more recent pics of Dynah. She has gained some weight for sure!

DYNAH4-241.JPG

DYNAH4-242.JPG

DYNAH4-243.JPG

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
DYNAH UPDATE!

Hi again folks. Another quick update and some pics. She is still moving forward and becoming more and more tolerant with me. We are not at the "I will let you touch me" but, she is much more comfortable. We still play together a lot and she seems to love it here as she goes from bedroom to bedroom watching the birds and animals that come everyday. She is also roaming the house much more at night!

Recently, I opened the front door and kept the screen door shut to see her reaction as she was watching me from the hallway. I went outside for a few seconds and when I came in, she had ran down the hall and into the Cathouse. So, she seems afraid to go back outside now. She is still afraid of many, many things. Still HATES that there are "people" inside my TV too. I have been turning the volume off if she does come and look in the living room and this does help some as she will sit and gaze around. I also ordered wireless headphones so that when she sneaks in to see what is going on in the TV room, she won't be spooked by the sound!

Still dreading the day that I bring her to the vets. I need to do this soon as it is now over 3 months since she has been with me.

Anyway, here are a few more recent pics of Dynah. She has gained some weight for sure!

View attachment 473865

View attachment 473866

View attachment 473867
She looks FANTASTIC- really great!

Timmy was so frightened of the big screen TV with the giant prehistoric birds,T-Rex size squirrels and all the little people that I even had to shut off the visual - forget the audio,he'd just cower in the cubby- and the A/C and the toilet flush and the microwave beep,faucet,and especially the refrigerator motor!lol

Now he sleeps soundly right in front of the TV during action films with gunfire and explosions!He even watches me vacuum--- leave the picture on with no sound and just gradually bring in the low low volume..

She has to get desensitized to to all the strange alien indoor planet sounds...... so cute,sweet darlings

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi again folks. Another quick update
That’s wonderful to hear. Roaming in the night does give her more confidence as there‘s no loud sound or movements that will spook her and also easier for her to map the surroundings.

Soon she’ll also realize that certain sounds and sights means no threat to her just as long as it is not all sudden. She’ll get use to it. You can continue to make sounds from your daily chores to get her get use to the sounds.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your nice responses guys! They really keep my confidence up too! Many of my friends thought Dynah would be sitting on my lap by now but, I knew this kitty was going to be a challenge. But she is really doing fantastic considering she is such a "scaredy cat"
:)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your nice responses guys! They really keep my confidence up too! Many of my friends thought Dynah would be sitting on my lap by now but, I knew this kitty was going to be a challenge. But she is really doing fantastic considering she is such a "scaredy cat"
:)
Well,Dynah is Dynah and she's not ready so they're wrong!

Timmy came inside in June,that's 10 months and he just now jumps up beside me on the couch for pets and likes his body next to mine ..... his time,not anyone else's time

She's only been inside for what? 3 months? It can take between 30 & 90 days to establish territory'- she's actually right on schedule as she's now expanding that territory in the home from what's already established

Thats the first order of the process of having a confident kitty when transitioning the next step is relationship building - her behavior is changing with wonderful progress because she's " comfortable"- keep up the good work!

Start grazing her face with the back of your closed fist when the opportunity presents itself ( usually at feeding time) - tiny acciddntal type graze......👍🥰

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just what I wanted to hear. More reassurance from the experts! Thank you. And Kwik, that is really what I wanted to hear,...some real-time experience with your Cat(s) and how long it took to do certain things. So as to compare with :)

I have tried the face graze technique only a couple of times but Dynah is not ready yet. I can get really close to her if I lay down on the floor and she is in her room. Anywhere else and she is defensive but, I can get a little closer to her as time has gone by. So her room is her trusting place. I will try again when I think she may be receptive. She certainly is a very smart girl and she had to be this way to survive in the wild as she did. For now, I give her tons of space and respect and she is responding really well :cool2:

Thanks guys. I will update again when I have more news :)