Please help with big decision

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi folks. Just a quick update. Not much new to report except that it appears the de-wormer medicine is beginning to work. We are about the halfway point on this first treatment.

We got about 1 foot of heavy snow with that storm and now it is warming up and rain is expected. Floods are forecast. My backyard looks like a pond again :ohwell:. Dinah may have "disappeared" during this mayhem if I did not act!

I set up a new Cat-Cave yesterday on her bed. She hasn't used it yet. We will see. More toys, Catnip, and new litter mats are on the way from Chewey.com too.
Isn't it great to know they are safe and sound when it's horrible weather outside? Such a wonderful feeling not to be worried sick..

Darling little Dinah all comfy,warm and dry - well deserved ❤

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi folks. Just a quick update. Not much new to report except that it appears the de-wormer medicine is beginning to work. We are about the halfway point on this first treatment.

We got about 1 foot of heavy snow with that storm and now it is warming up and rain is expected. Floods are forecast. My backyard looks like a pond again :ohwell:. Dinah may have "disappeared" during this mayhem if I did not act!

I set up a new Cat-Cave yesterday on her bed. She hasn't used it yet. We will see. More toys, Catnip, and new litter mats are on the way from Chewey.com too.
I love this. It's situations exactly like this that had me jump into action and just get my girl indoors. I'm glad to see that others think the same as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update time: Dinah is doing well. She started using her using Cat Cave, mostly in the evening and during the night at times. She tolerated me coming in her room while she was in the cave without scooting under the bed a few times now.

The best thing about this is the last couple of times, I made eye contact with her while she was in the cave, and she did not run for cover!! This is a good thing. Usually I have been coming in un-announced (when she is in the Cave, to remove a water dish or something) and not look at her at all. I just come in, and leave. It is a mental game with her. But I try not to over think things. Tonight, I looked at her in her Cat Cave, and said, "are you hungry, do you want din-din? These are the words I have used with her since I first started feeding her from outside. I also tap on the same food dish, as the sound triggers a relation to food. I think LOL!

So Dinah and I are a work in progress that I believe is going very well. As a photographer, I am waiting for the day that I can get some really great images of this beautiful Cat. The image here is just from a low quality security cam while she was in her Cat cave so, sorry for that. Bit I won't "scare" her with bulky camera equipment yet. As I once read, "A true photographer does not just press the shutter button, because the intended image must come from the heart first".

Greg

DinahCave1small.jpg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Update time: Dinah is doing well. She started using her using Cat Cave, mostly in the evening and during the night at times. She tolerated me coming in her room while she was in the cave without scooting under the bed a few times now.

The best thing about this is the last couple of times, I made eye contact with her while she was in the cave, and she did not run for cover!! This is a good thing. Usually I have been coming in un-announced (when she is in the Cave, to remove a water dish or something) and not look at her at all. I just come in, and leave. It is a mental game with her. But I try not to over think things. Tonight, I looked at her in her Cat Cave, and said, "are you hungry, do you want din-din? These are the words I have used with her since I first started feeding her from outside. I also tap on the same food dish, as the sound triggers a relation to food. I think LOL!

So Dinah and I are a work in progress that I believe is going very well. As a photographer, I am waiting for the day that I can get some really great images of this beautiful Cat. The image here is just from a low quality security cam while she was in her Cat cave so, sorry for that. Bit I won't "scare" her with bulky camera equipment yet. As I once read, "A true photographer does not just press the shutter button, because the intended image must come from the heart first".

Greg

View attachment 467840
Oh WOW Greg- look at her in her little igloo- she is really a beautiful girl

How's she doing with the litter box! Straight litter now?

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh WOW Greg- look at her in her little igloo- she is really a beautiful girl

How's she doing with the litter box! Straight litter now?
Hi, no we are not quite there yet with the litter. I am thinking next time I change the box out it will be 100% litter and Dr. Elsy's Ultra. At that time, I will also fill the other litter box with 100% litter and place it in the kitchen where it used to be for my girl Pepper.

Dinah is slowly letting her guard down the last few days. Coming to the edge of the bed to look at me from under it rather than staying back in the far corners. This I think, is in part because of the Cat cave. She feels safe in there as it sits on top of the bed. I have walked past her while she is in the cave , and she will just watch me as I walk by, boosting her confidence and trust.

She also roamed some of the house early this morning again. It has been a few weeks since she last did so and, this makes me very happy to see. I have company coming today so this will be another test for her. The last time I had people here she retreated to her hideaway for almost a whole day after they left.

I have been playing music at feeding times and she really seems to like this. I read to her sometimes too. Yesterday she seemed to respond well after I read to her. You know, some silly bedtime stories I found on the inet. During the day, she sleeps so I try and keep the house as quiet as I can.

Anyway, thanks to everybody for your support and I will report back :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, no we are not quite there yet with the litter. I am thinking next time I change the box out it will be 100% litter and Dr. Elsy's Ultra. At that time, I will also fill the other litter box with 100% litter and place it in the kitchen where it used to be for my girl Pepper.

Dinah is slowly letting her guard down the last few days. Coming to the edge of the bed to look at me from under it rather than staying back in the far corners. This I think, is in part because of the Cat cave. She feels safe in there as it sits on top of the bed. I have walked past her while she is in the cave , and she will just watch me as I walk by, boosting her confidence and trust.

She also roamed some of the house early this morning again. It has been a few weeks since she last did so and, this makes me very happy to see. I have company coming today so this will be another test for her. The last time I had people here she retreated to her hideaway for almost a whole day after they left.

I have been playing music at feeding times and she really seems to like this. I read to her sometimes too. Yesterday she seemed to respond well after I read to her. You know, some silly bedtime stories I found on the inet. During the day, she sleeps so I try and keep the house as quiet as I can.

Anyway, thanks to everybody for your support and I will report back :)
FANTASTIC..... Hope shes not to scared tonight- it'll be okay though,my Timmy does not like visitors coming around ,lol
The door knocks ,he looks at me like" please don't let them in Mom " -my boy

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

This is great! She's kind of studying the situation before making any move. She's also getting used to the sounds and sights made by you. She is making calculated moves and therefore nit very eager to venture out too often but at least she's out surveying again which will boost her confidence.

It's normal for her to retreat even when the people have left as this is the first time she's encountering other people besides you. Just continue to give her assurance and she'll know that you still care and love her and you did not bring the other people to bring her harm. A few more meetings like this and she'll get use to it though she may still retreat but it's ok as this is her normal instinct to do so but with more confidence knowing that she is safe and sound.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is great! She's kind of studying the situation before making any move. She's also getting used to the sounds and sights made by you. She is making calculated moves and therefore nit very eager to venture out too often but at least she's out surveying again which will boost her confidence.

It's normal for her to retreat even when the people have left as this is the first time she's encountering other people besides you. Just continue to give her assurance and she'll know that you still care and love her and you did not bring the other people to bring her harm. A few more meetings like this and she'll get use to it though she may still retreat but it's ok as this is her normal instinct to do so but with more confidence knowing that she is safe and sound.
Thank you for the vote of confidence!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
My Waffles still retreats when people come to the house, after having him for 7 years. But, he will come out after a bit to people he knows and will sit with those few he is very comfortable with. With me, he became a total love bug and sleeps on the bed. That took a few months- he got on my lap for 2 seconds after 2-3 months with me doing what you are doing, then it was progress from then on. He's so grateful for a home and I'm sure Dinah is too!!

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Waffles still retreats when people come to the house, after having him for 7 years. But, he will come out after a bit to people he knows and will sit with those few he is very comfortable with. With me, he became a total love bug and sleeps on the bed. That took a few months- he got on my lap for 2 seconds after 2-3 months with me doing what you are doing, then it was progress from then on. He's so grateful for a home and I'm sure Dinah is too!!
Thank you for this post pearl99!! It is reassurance for me that Dinah just needs time. I am optimistic that she will eventually become very comfortable with the whole house and with me. I am a very patient person (very good fisherman if I do say so myself), but I admit as I get older, some things do try my patience. Not with Dinah. So that works on my side!

I am glad to hear these stories of these fur babies that are taken in by good people :)

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FANTASTIC..... Hope shes not to scared tonight- it'll be okay though,my Timmy does not like visitors coming around ,lol
The door knocks ,he looks at me like" please don't let them in Mom " -my boy
Wow this is my boy exactly (the one in my PFP). We got him when covid was still hanging around so I didn't have anyone over even my parents (I work retail and they're older) so he never got properly socialized with others. My brother came by when he was 4-5 months to bring us something and I was like hey let me show you how big he is now. XiaoXiao tried to tear my shoulder off during his escape. I thought he might get better if we tried bringing people around and using treats, he just learned to hear the car sound then the knock and be TERRIFIED to the point he hid under the couch for 30 mins after they left.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a small update. No huge changes but Dinah is tolerating me some more while in her Cat-cave. Today is the last day giving her the wormer meds. Good thing too as she has been eating less and less while the wormer is in the food. Without the wormer, she eats all the food so she definitely knows the difference. This medicine (HomeoPet wrm clear) has worked really good.

In the next few days I will be changing the litter box out to complete litter. I will also place the other litter box out too. Another noisy day today with more snow and plows and snow blowers and shoveling and laundry. She stayed under the bed all day but came out to eat and play a little. She has also roamed the house a little at night or early morning for short "roams", but that is good as she is getting used to the surroundings outside of her room. (Thanks again to Kwik for the litter and wormer tips :thanks:)

Play time with us consists of rolling balls or other toys in to her room from just outside the door and her chasing them in her room. This is usually after breakfast and then after dinner, and then again around 8:00 to 9:00 in the evening. SHE is surely teaching ME what she likes and what she does not like. That's it for today. Thanks for tuning in :)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Something to think about, I've read about cats' "hunt-catch-kill-eat-groom-sleep" instinct; play with toys hunting and catching- as in the balls and toys you're doing- they are hunting and catching them and "killing" them; then the eating, which is their meal that you give them.
So, my point is maybe do the playing first then give the meal? I know people use it when getting a cat used to a new environment, when introducing cats etc. I've done it.
It's just more their natural instinct, and what they do as outdoor only feral cats.
Hunt-catch-kill-eat-groom-sleep. A thought.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Something to think about, I've read about cats' "hunt-catch-kill-eat-groom-sleep" instinct; play with toys hunting and catching- as in the balls and toys you're doing- they are hunting and catching them and "killing" them; then the eating, which is their meal that you give them.
So, my point is maybe do the playing first then give the meal? I know people use it when getting a cat used to a new environment, when introducing cats etc. I've done it.
It's just more their natural instinct, and what they do as outdoor only feral cats.
Hunt-catch-kill-eat-groom-sleep. A thought.
Those are good thoughts and it csn help in initial transitioning but what we aim for is adjusting or re- conditioning to human living conditions- the order is right and it co- incides with a nocturnal creatures lifestyle-for survival of the species.... cats are both predator and pray so the reason for the order of activity and inactivity is to ensure life goes on .... hunt-kill- eat in the cover of dark,sleep when everyone else is awake

Inside they have all they need provided for them,we can suppress the nocturnal activity becsuse there's no need to hunt for food- we encourage play to expel the energy usually reserved for the hunt as feral know very little if anything about play

Anyway it's good reasoning and an excellent point -it's good to use that reasoning to recondition them to adjust to our own schedule,keeping them active in daytime and sleeping while we sleep..... make sense? Very good subject to address and to understand why kitties wreak havoc while their humans sleep and lounge around most the day....❤👍

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems Dinah is teaching me how and when to play with her and feed her. If she is not hungry...she's not gunna eat. And when she does not want to play...she will not. I have to go now because she is slapping balls all around the room...I can hear her and on the other side of the house. Time to play!!!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems Dinah is teaching me how and when to play with her and feed her. If she is not hungry...she's not gunna eat. And when she does not want to play...she will not. I have to go now because she is slapping balls all around the room...I can hear her and on the other side of the house. Time to play!!!
She is training you very well- "Good boy Greg"you deserve a treat! :flail: :purr:

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since we all like pics, I caught her this morning at the edge of her bed after play time. This was in very low light but the Canon 7D Mark II and 100-400 II lens did a pretty good job (it was pretty noisy so not so sharp). She retreated to the rear corner of the bed right after I clicked the shutter button. Camera shy!

Dinah1a.jpg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we all like pics, I caught her this morning at the edge of her bed after play time. This was in very low light but the Canon 7D Mark II and 100-400 II lens did a pretty good job (it was pretty noisy so not so sharp). She retreated to the rear corner of the bed right after I clicked the shutter button. Camera shy!

View attachment 468285
She's gorgeous- I love this photo,the angle,the colors- everything..... of course Dinahs expression is priceless

I have a feeling she won't be camera shy for long looking at her curious face- soon she'll be posing,lol She'll be your best subject

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous- I love this photo,the angle,the colors- everything..... of course Dinahs expression is priceless

I have a feeling she won't be camera shy for long looking at her curious face- soon she'll be posing,lol She'll be your best subject
Thank you Kwik! I only got 3 shots of her and this was the better focused one right at her nose :), and yes, I think she is so beautiful too. She has that round kitten like face still!

Today is full litter day and another box will be put in kitchen where there was one with the other Cats in the past. She is also starting to get finicky with her food so another trip to the store to try some new things. She seems to be getting away from some of the "pate" flavors and really likes the "shredded" style foods. This brings back memories of my Cats from years ago haha!