Please Help Pippin's Labor Came Premature

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My pregnant foster cat Pippin went in labor today, I'm not sure when I just found her with her litter who did not survive.
It's late, I called the shelter and left messages but have not been able to get into contact with them. I really don't know what to do.

For some backstory; I started fostering two pregnant cats on Tuesday (Pippin and Arwen). I noticed they both showed signs of upper respiratory.This means, drooling, sneezing, watery eyes, difficulty breathing, and a lack of appetite. I had called up the shelter and picked up Clavamox to give to them on Wednesday. Since then I'd been giving both cats medicine twice a day. Now, four days later their symptoms are the same, and one of the cats just lost her kittens.

I don't know what to do for them, I don't know where to start. I haven't touched the sight, I need to clean it up but the cat's still there. She's so tired and she's laying ontop of it all. I'm pretty sure she needs to see a vet, both her and the other pregnant cat probably.
I just had this horrible thought, what if the kittens weren't dead and I just spent the last twenty minutes freaking out when I could have saved them? She hasn't cleaned any of them off. It's all such a mess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you
Pippin is back on her feet, she's walking and eating and being affectionate. She's so skinny, I felt her belly and I don't think there are any more inside but I'll try and get her to a vet to be sure and figure out what's going on with her.

The kittens are very premature, not fully formed with their paws stuck curled together, no place for eyes, and no fur. There was no way any of them could have survived outside of her. Pippin did clean the first one-off, chewed off the umbilical cord and I believe she even tried to nurse it. But there was no way, she didn't try again with the other two.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear, I’m so sorry! Were the kittens fully formed and furry? Or were they premature?

Do go ahead and clean up. Give Pippin a dry clean nest and offer food and water.

Both moms sound not so well, but anything can cause premature labor - and certainly not the clavamox.

A vet visit is best, but hopefully the other mom’s litter will be healthy and Pippin can help nurture the litter.

Hang in there!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, I think we posted almost simultaneously! Glad things are better now with Pippin!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Spontanous abortion... Perhaps because of the URI, or by some other reason... Shikata ga nai, neh? As the japanese says...

Im glad Pippin is better. Let her rest now, and continue to cure her URI. Let her see a vet if she seems to need it.
She will perhaps be a co-parent with the other girl?

What to do in such situations when the mother cat is exhausted as in your first post, is to try to smear some water sweet with honey or white caro syrup on her lips and gums. Gives quick energhy.
If she can drink, give such similiar solution for her to drink, but not that much sweetened.
If you happen to have real glucose sugar / dextrose at hand, of course do use this. Also, glucose sugar isnt very sweet, so you can use more of this before the fluid becomes too sweet.

If you have pedialyte at home, you can alternatively give the pedialyte to drink.
Best is clear flavorless pedialyte for babies, but in a pinch can almost any brand be used.

Be sure the momma is warm and cozy (or chilled off if its very hot). You can massage some, perhaps with a toothbrush.

M melontine

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue with the clavamox. With rest and time the cats should begin to get better now that they are out of the shelter. They need time, food, and love. Thank you for taking them in!