My cat gave birth to one dead kitten yesterday, i'm afraid there are more inside her.

adamzpolski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, she is approximately one and a half year old. We didn't realize she is pregnant until like a week ago because she is quite big.  

She was on birth control pills, we thought they worked, she was receiving them every 10 days until recently when she started showing signs of actually being pregnant.  

Well, yesterday she became really loud, following people all the time and not letting them go. Then it started.  

She was in a lot of pain for a very long time, there was part of the first cat already visible but she wasn't able to push it out so eventually we decided to help her. It was dead.  

I don't know whether it choked to death because of us reacting too late or if it was dead already. The mother got really scared during the entire thing.   

She then stopped the whole labor process but it looked like she was still feeling much pain, she was still crying a lot.  

Then through the night it all seems to have stopped, however today a few hours ago i noticed that her stomach was "shaking". Same thing happened before the first birth.  

Also, she still is bigger than she was before her pregnancy.  

So i am now afraid that there may be more little cats inside her, dead or hopefully alive.  

Is it possible for her to give birth to another one today or maybe even tomorrow?

Also, sorry for my poor english, it's not my first language.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could deliver today or tomorrow.  Is she in distress?

You should call your vet and at least discuss this over the phone so he is aware there may be a problem.

I've never heard of birth control for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adamzpolski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will absolutely call the vet.   

She is quite calm when i'm close but easily gets stressed when there is nobody around.  

Thanks for the anwer!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the "shaking" was contractions, and like she has more kittens inside. The first one likely stayed in the birth canal too long and died before being born.

You do need to speak with a vet, and your cat needs to be spayed after the kittens wean if she has live ones, and sooner if not.

Let us know how this plays out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adamzpolski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, sorry for taking so long to finally answer. Well, she did behave like that for a few more hours, but then it all stopped, she is perfectly fine now. She is just like before pregnancy.  

It's a bit suprising to me that she had only one kitten, but that's how it is.  

And these pills, yeah, they propably do not exist at all and i have been ripped off because i don't know anything about animals besides them being (mostly) cute.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you plan to have her spayed in a few weeks so she does not have to go through this again?

katie lou93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's very rare for a cat to just have one kitten, have you taken her to be checked by a vet you really should take her even if she seems fine animals are very good at hiding that there in pain/destress..