help!! mama in labor!! one dead kitten so far!!

smokeymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mama cat is in labor and so far delivered a kitten that is dead. This is her 2nd litter the 1st litter were all premature stillborns. She is a year old.. shr seems fine right now shes napping, i feel another kitten but not in the lower stomach. And i cannot tell if its moving or not... im attaching a picture of mama and the one kitten...

shadowkitty2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is her stomach still contracting? Can you see the kitten? If more than half an hour has passed and she seems to be struggling, get her to a vet immediately. The kitten might be stuck. If you are sure there is a kitten,  it might be still born also. Did she finish yet? How is she and the kittens? did they come out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smokeymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot tell if her stomach is still contracting. And no i cannot. Theres no struggle shes just napping.no she didnt finish its still the same one dead kitten no more right this moment. She is fine

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot tell if her stomach is still contracting. And no i cannot. Theres no struggle shes just napping.no she didnt finish its still the same one dead kitten no more right this moment. She is fine
do you know how far along in her pregnancy your momma cat is? it might be possible that she's given birth to the one prematurely, but the rest of her babies aren't full term yet. but i think the only way to be sure is to have your vet check her.

i would bring your girl to the vet to have her checked, to make sure her pregnancy/her babies are still going/doing well.

shadowkitty2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The one dead kitten she gave birth to looks premature. I think she will give birth to the rest of the kittens a few days later. I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. Good luck! Sending good luck vibes 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

The one dead kitten she gave birth to looks premature. I think she will give birth to the rest of the kittens a few days later. I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. Good luck! Sending good luck vibes 
I agree.  If she seems fine, not troubles, no labor, no panting (save perhaps some short precontracions), no raised temp, you can wait and see, hoping rest of her kittens will come out when their time comes and they had riped and matured for it..

With a little luck here may still be a totally happy end.

But if you notice she is unwell - immediately contact your vet!

If you do have access to a vet, phone and consult him, by all means.  He will probably give the same advice - but he will also know what follow up questions to give.

And, please, consider strongly to spay her when everything has clearned up.   Even if you were a breeder I would give here this advice.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smokeymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well its been almost 3days and nothing has changed. No more babies so far. She is still bleeding here and there. It feels like only one more in her tummy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope for the best here.   As the first kitten was apparently premature, I hope this is not an interrupted labor, a pause in labor, but  an spontan abort of a premature kitten, while othe others are maturing in their  normal tempo and will be delivered normally in their proper time.  Which should be near now, as that first kittens wasnt VERY premature..

I hope you TS can feel them move...

Please report now and then!

Good luck!

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well its been almost 3days and nothing has changed. No more babies so far. She is still bleeding here and there. It feels like only one more in her tummy.

The same thing is happening with my mama cat right now. Just one dead kitten birthed about two hours ago. Now she is just resting and still feels like one kitten in her belly. Whatever happened in your situation? Did you cat ever have anymore kittens? Did any born survive?

Clazza83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beautiful girl has just given birth to her first kitten that sadly died within 15 mins. Full term too. This was 2 hours ago. She has more to come as I felt them moving. She is in no pain she is getting up and drinking and being her normal self. I take it this turn round she is just going to take longer inbetween.

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beautiful girl has just given birth to her first kitten that sadly died within 15 mins. Full term too. This was 2 hours ago. She has more to come as I felt them moving. She is in no pain she is getting up and drinking and being her normal self. I take it this turn round she is just going to take longer inbetween.

So sorry. I know how you are feeling. My mama cat had another 3 kittens, 3 days later so 4 all together. The first 2 stillborn and the other 2 lived for about 4 days then died. We had such high hopes. All were born way to premature. I hope everything goes well with the other kittens born and with mama.

Clazza83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was absolutely heartbroken the 2nd fed straight away the first never thinking maybe her airways may have been blocked or something :(
Gonna be a long evening if it's every few hours this time round