PLEASE HELP... Cat probs!!

catlover1991

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I already had a cat that is about 1 year old that we got when he was 4 months. We wanted to get another cat and we looked at every shelter to make sure we were getting the best cat for our family. We finally decided on a 13 year old cat that had been at our local shelter for about 2 years and they said that no one had even shown an interest in him. Before bringing him home we took a towel that our cat now lays on all the time and he kept it in his cage for a night and we got it back and our cat smelled it and slept on it again.  We went to get our new friend yesterday from the shelter and brought him home. The initial meeting was great! no fighting or hissing. My younger cat is chasing the new one around now and as the new cat was already declared  I am not afraid of him hurting our younger cat but the constant hissing and growling is driving us crazy . We separated them last night putting the older one in a room with his own box and food which he did not seem to mind, but this morning my husband and I grabbed our younger cat and took him in that room to sit on the bed and see if they could co exist with one holding each cat and the older one hissed and batted at our younger cat. I was so excited to bring him home and I want this to work so bad. Is there anyone else who has had this problem or may have some suggestions on what I could do to help the older cat adjust to the new one?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much about them hurting each other if they are all healthy cats. I have found feeding them at the same time in close proximity with each helps. I had the same situation but welcomed a kitten into the mix rather than an older cat. She started chasing around the older cat. It's been 4 months now and I have the occasional hissing but they seem to now leave each other alone. It will take some time and patience unfortunately.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think your problem is you need to slow down, you are trying to rush it. These things take time. You should really keep both cats separate from each other for a least a couple of weeks. Older one in your bedroom, younger one rest of house. You can swop them around so they get to smell each others scent. And it gives the older one chance to get get use to the rest of the house.
After a couple of weeks you start the face to face introductions. You will need to get a big dog cage/crate. Set this up then put one of cats in it. Let other cat in same room. Do this in stages to. First 10 mins then 20 mins and so on. Until they are more comfortable with each other. Then eventually you can take the cage away. But still you need to build up there time together slowly again. First 10mins then 20 mins ect.... Until they are use to each other and comfortable in each others company.
The trick is not to rush it it has to be done slowly
Hope this helps :D

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, first of all, thank you for adopting this senior.  You are his angel!  But think about it this way.  You're 80 years old and someone brings you to a strange new place, puts you into a room with a 15 year old and expects you just get along?  Ain't gonna happen!

ALL cats need time to adjust to newbies.  ALL cats.  They have to be introduced slowly, allowed to decide for themselves whether that other guy smells and looks OK and be given time to make the decision.  They may never be buddies, so please don't disappoint yourself by thinking that should happen.

I would give the new cat a room of its own for a bit, with food and potty.  This will allow it to adjust to the new sights, smells and sounds of your home.  If the cat has any medical issues, you also want to make sure your resident cat doesn't catch them.

Once he's medically cleared, you can introduce them slowly.  You can stack some baby gates at the door so the cats can see each other but not get into a dust-up.

Slowly, slowly, allow them to be together.  When they are together, plan escape routes for each of them.  Remember, if they start an all-out fight, you will probably be the worst one hurt if you get between them.

You could have a blanket ready to drop over one if a fight starts.  Then you can usher the other one out of the room.  Here's an article about introducing cats.  If you search the sight you will find many posts and other articles.  You are not alone!

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover1991

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this . We intended on getting a kitten at first because everyone we spoke with told us it would be better for our cat to adjust to a kitten, but when we went to the shelter and saw Phantom my husband and I (my husband esp) fell in love with him. He is a beautiful cat and we actually went to visit him twice before we fully decided on him. Both visits he was extremely loving! 

We have them separated now. Phantom the new older cat is in one of our downstairs bed rooms. We decided to do that because our room is upstairs and our other cat doesnt really go up there as much as he is downstairs so we figured they would be able to get a better fill of each other if they were both on the same floor. Phantom(the old new cat) is loving his own space so much . We have a window seat in the room we put him in and he is soaking up the sun rays and resting. He seems to be less on edge and is a whole lot less vocal and not growling or hissing. He is so loving . 

I am going to maybe keep him in there for about a week before I try again to let them actually see each other. Im hoping it will give him some time to calm down. 

Thanks for such great advice .

This is Phantom! He says thank you as well. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

OK, first of all, thank you for adopting this senior.  You are his angel!  But think about it this way.  You're 80 years old and someone brings you to a strange new place, puts you into a room with a 15 year old and expects you just get along?  Ain't gonna happen!
LOL.  I'm only 55 and wouldn't like getting stuck in a room with a 15 year old.  

I think you are wonderful taking in a senior cat!  And he's beautiful.  I tried to rush bringing elder kitties into a home with youngsters with disastrous results.  You have received some excellent advice about taking it slow.  That's awesome that Phantom is happy in his new space.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover1991

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like we are getting the situation under control now . I think both my cats are getting less stressed by the second and we are gong to give them as much time as they need to get used to each other. I am determined to make this work for us! 

I didnt know this site existed.. I am loving being able to have people to talk to about my cars.

My husband and I recently moved and where I am now I have no friends or anyone to talk with really . It is really nice to be able to chat about things with people.