Playing fetch

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

See, that doesn't work for me. That's where the fetching thing is a problem, I suppose. As he just runs back with it so I'll toss it again! And those claws are sharp, so when he's pouncing around the bed playing with his toy, I get claws poking through the comforter into my legs!
She sometimes does bring it back and drop it again, but I have gotten where I can throw it almost fully asleep. She seems to only want to fetch the mousie 3 or 4 times each session before she gets bored with fetching and just plays with it by herself.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

See, that doesn't work for me. That's where the fetching thing is a problem, I suppose. As he just runs back with it so I'll toss it again! And those claws are sharp, so when he's pouncing around the bed playing with his toy, I get claws poking through the comforter into my legs!
Throw a ping pong ball!  It will keep bouncing off the walls and floor and will keep kitty entertained on his own!  

warren taylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So many of these answers remind me of things that our girls have done. Our girls are both Ocicats, a breed known for being very active and playful, even as adults, and playing fetch is something most of them seem to enjoy, ours sure do! Saphira was adopted at about two and is a bit over four, while Viola was an overgrown kitten at eighteen months and is now a little over two and a half. Saphira was a surprise Christmas gift from our daughters, and they told us that she would play fetch, but after she joined our family a few days later I had kind of forgotten about the fetch. About a week later she hops up on our bed one morning with a stuffed kitty toy in her mouth, dropping it beside me. I got the idea, and tossed it off onto the floor, where she bounded after it and after tossing it around a bit returned it for another go around. After about ten minutes she tired of it and went on to something else. For her, fetch is always HER choice, if I toss a fuzzy mouse toy when she is not in the mood she will just sit watching it sail away, with a very disinterested expression on her face. Her little playmate Viola, on the other hand, is up for a game almost any time (Viola is VERY playful!), but actually prefers to play catch: She sits on our bed near the foot, in her ready to pounce crouch. I toss a toy so that it flies over her, at which point she leaps up and grabs it out of the air. She lands on the bed with it, then waits for me to toss the next one.

Viola does sometimes drown one of her mice, usually in one of their water bowls, although we once found one floating in a toilet, after that we both make very sure to keep all the toilet lids down all the time.

They are both just absolute joys, in addition to being very active and playful, they are the best behaved of at least eighteen felines to own us over the last forty years and we love both of them to pieces.

onyxnine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 One of my cats love to play fetch. I didn't trained him for it. One day i was playing with him, and he brought the ball back on his own. I started to reward him for it, so he will keep doing it. He is now almost 4 yrs old, and still playing fetch like a kitten :D