Pine Litter And Sifting Boxes

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How strong do you think the smell is? I was always afraid of pine pellets as I know pine is toxic to cats, but apparently kiln dried pine is not.. but I thought it would also take the smell away? Everybody seems to be so happy with pine pellets that I started to think about this too, but the strong smell would be no go for my asthmatic kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a witch She's a witch

It isn't terribly strong to me, but we also have the litterbox in a spare bedroom that's probably 100 square feet, not confined in a small area like a bathroom. If you've ever been in a home improvement store that sells lumber, it smells like that, but not as strong. I find it very pleasant, but I'm a sucker for anything pine/balsam/cedar anyway! Emerson has some allergies and I haven't noticed him sneezing or coughing any.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the litter box in my bedroom and the smell does not bother me at all Much less intense than say a glad plug in air freshener I agree that it smells like Home Depot or Lowe’s

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love the pine pellets. So much less dust everywhere and no litter in the bed, yay! I use it in the regular box but will look into buying or building a sifting box. Great suggestions, everyone.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Now nobody is using the pine. Hmm. We are about to leave for a few days, so I may just give them regular old clay litter and revisit trying to transition once we get back.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally made it to the neighboring town today to get the pine pellets. I only added a small tupperware container to the existing cat litter, but already 2 of the 3 have jumped in and used it.
Hopefully the transition will go quick and easy.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I finally made it to the neighboring town today to get the pine pellets. I only added a small tupperware container to the existing cat litter, but already 2 of the 3 have jumped in and used it.
Hopefully the transition will go quick and easy.
I am so jealous! Aside from the first few days, mine will not even willingly go the boxes anymore. They pull the pellets out and bat them around/carry them around but refuse to use the pellets as litter. I'm beginning to think maybe they just aren't for my troop. :(

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
That being said....we are getting low on clay litter so I may just add more and more pellets so that they don't have a choice.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All pellets is worth a try It worked for my guys oh I So hope it works for yours !!!!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That being said....we are getting low on clay litter so I may just add more and more pellets so that they don't have a choice.
They do have a choice...the carpet.

Try going back. Mostly clay and only add a small portion of pellets, upping it everytime you clean.
I got lucky. I have changed litters often trying to find a good one for the allergies of two kitties. I left one of the boxes alone, with just the Dr. Elsey's, but they prefer the one with the small amount of pine. Maybe, they just didn't notice it. I will put in more pine today and see how it goes.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have used pine pellets for years. I have had zero issues with litter box smell since I switched. And the pine smell is not bad. My Oliver was asthmatic but he never had any issues with the pine.

I did not like the "sifting" pans. I find it easier to scoop out the nasties and sawdust. I clean it every day. I add more pellets as needed.

Another plus is it costs a LOT less than the standard clay litters ($5.99 for 40 pound bag) It is EXACTLY the same as Feline Pine for a LOT less money.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How’s is everyone progressing with the pellets?
So far so good..I think. At least I haven't found any place they've gone other than the boxes. I'm up to about 45% and it's only been 3 days. I'll add more today when I clean them.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm completely switched now.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie for the thread and @soleiil for the video.
Although I liked the Dr. Elsey's, if you don't keep a base of around 8" it turns to paste when they pee and it's nasty to clean. Mine like to dig so there was never a huge base when they peed. At least with this, it's cheap enough that if I have to dump the whole thing and clean the box, I can afford to do so.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For anyone interested, Walmart sells America's Choice bedding pellets for $5.47. These are 100% kiln dried. The bag is 1 cf which equals to around 40 lbs. (give or take).
I am switching from Tractor Supply to these. First, although I'm pretty sure, the TS brand doesn't say how it's dried.
Second, it's cheaper by about 50 cents. OK, 50 cents won't break me but once you add the next two reasons, it adds up.
Third, WM is closer so I won't have to drive an hour (and gas) to get them.
and lastly, the sales tax is cheaper in my town vs. the neighboring town where TS is located.

Just a suggestion for those of you who do not have a Tractor Supply near you or are concerned about the drying process of their product.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good to know there is another source for the pellets. Just an FYI on the Tractor Supply website under questions for pine pellets they do state that the pellets are 100% kiln dried.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So happy that Kashmir64 has been able to successfully transition to pellets. How is EmersonandEvie doing?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know there is another source for the pellets. Just an FYI on the Tractor Supply website under questions for pine pellets they do state that the pellets are 100% kiln dried.
I did see that. However, it doesn't say it on the bag, or in the description of the product. Also, who is that person who was answering the questions? She never identified herself as related to the product, or if she did, I missed it.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
We left to go see family for a few days, so they regressed since I didn't want the cat sitter to worry about training. We will start up again this week!

I'm glad kashmir64 kashmir64 successfully transitioned their cats! You are an inspiration! That's also great to know about the pellets being at Walmart.