Pine Litter And Sifting Boxes

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use this setup? I saw a video where someone used a sifting litterbox and pine pellets from Tractor Supply and sort of "reverse scooped"- the sawdust sifted to the bottom of the pan and was dumped, then the pans were set back up. Boom, it took 30 seconds. I really want to switch to something more eco-friendly than clay litter, and being cheaper always helps!

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been using the Tractor Supply pine pellets for a week now and WOW !!! It’s Great no odor no mess I have it in a regular litter box until the new one arrives I did a lot of research and found the All Pine Litter Box is the only one made for Pine pellets You can find you tube videos on how to make your own but for an item that is used daily (litter box)why not go with the product professionally made for this use Also it seems by reading reviews of people trying to use regular sifting litter boxes made for traditional litters it does not work well ( no space for sawdust to fall into until you lift and sift and size of holes etc) basically they are not made to use with pine pellets Understandably people get frustrated and stop using it The All Pine Litter Box has Great independent reviews Sorry don’t know how to insert link to their site but just search online for All pine litter box Shipping was a little expensive but it comes fed ex Hopefully I will be just as thrilled when it arrives I will post when it does :) Even having to use the pellets in a regular box for a few days I am sooo happy The only way you can tell there is a litter box in the house is if you see the litter box!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for that information! Next weekend we will see if they tolerate the pine litter and if so, we will invest in 2 of the All Pine boxes!

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The pine pellets are pretty life changing. No more tracking and way less dust during cleaning, and I'm not constantly sweeping litter. It is also much cheaper! I typically buy the 40lb bags at Tractor Supply for $6 each. I highly recommend it!

I spent a lot of time searching online for a large enclosed sifting litter box, but the only brand I liked is based in Sweden with no third party American sellers. My two boys will kick and kick at the litter, and then kick the sides of the box too. So having an open sifting litter box wasn't a really good idea for them. Also, due to my small apartment, I preferred a bigger box. My boyfriend and I used a Youtube video as a guide and made our own weird mix of a top entry/sifting/Breeze box. :lol: It definitely does not sift 100% but we all still love it.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
S soleiil how many cats do you have, and how long does the 40lb bag last? Also, could you post that youtube video?

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie I have one box shared by two cats. Two bags will last me a month and a half. Not too bad for $12. I definitely go through more due to the amount I need to fill my box, and the amount needed to make a full litter change.

Good info video:
We used this video to figure how to set up the holes. I picked out large Sterilite bins, with similar handles (as in the video) to stack them. That still allowed for dead space for sawdust to fall through. We had to space and size our holes a bit different due to our bigger box, so the stability of the bottom wouldn't be impaired. It also impacted sifting ability, I can't get sift as much sawdust out. His DIY does a very thorough job!

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Quick update:

I got some equine pellets from Tractor Supply last night. We have an old box that we put an inch or so of pellets in. None of the cats were fans (sensory issues!), so we mixed in a few cupfuls of pellets into their clay litter and will slowly transition them to only pellets. They have used the boxes with the pellets, but are still apprehensive.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, further update: All three of my cats are more interested in pulling the pellets out of the box and playing with them vs. using the litterbox. Any ideas on how to discourage that and encourage proper litterbox usage?

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late update have had a very bad cold :(
So I will start with the easiest issue first. Have been using the new All Pine Litter Box for almost 2 weeks now. Very well designed. The top box has a grid of square holes that sift great and do not get clogged with sawdust or pellets. On the underside of the top box there are multiple little support legs to keep the box suspended about 2” and stable. All you need to do is stir and lift off the top box empty sawdust from bottom box ( I put it in landscaping beds) add a few more pellets and done!
Now as for kittens adjusting At first they looked at me like what is this stuff I am standing on? Wish I had taken a picture it was so funny. I think I put the pellets to deep at first and now have at most 2 “ deep. They did however pee in it as I could see sawdust when I stored it later that day By that night they were also pooping in it but confused about how to cover it up. I started showing them how to cover with their paws. Definitely seemed like a sensory issue as the pellets are so different . They have continued to try and as of yesterday now do a great job. In the end it was an adjustment but they never peed or pooped outside of the litter box
2 1/2 weeks for adjustment :)
To answer your question MAY

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'll just give them more time. I put some of their poop (gross!) into the box to try and show them that they can go on the new material. They will at least stand in it now without immediately jumping out!

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe since the cats have been introduced to the pellets being mixed in try and use only the pellets now and they wouldn’t be picking it out of their usual litter Hope it works for you Good luck Please post your progress:)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's it, I'm switching. It will take some time and money to switch them properly, but I'm going for it.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 we made a smaller version of the sifting box in the video above! Total cost was $16 for two Sterilite totes plus their lids. If they would just use the dang thing, I think it would work beautifully! I love the way the pine pellets smell, too. Smells like a Lowe's or a Home Depot. Husband makes fun of me for loving going into those stores for that reason! I would buy it in a candle if I could.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 we made a smaller version of the sifting box in the video above! Total cost was $16 for two Sterilite totes plus their lids. If they would just use the dang thing, I think it would work beautifully! I love the way the pine pellets smell, too. Smells like a Lowe's or a Home Depot. Husband makes fun of me for loving going into those stores for that reason! I would buy it in a candle if I could.
I did use pine shavings for awhile (leftover from my horses), but noticed that it neither absorbed nor had any odor control. However, based on what everyone is saying, pellets may be different.
I plan on mixing the litters, slowly increasing the pellets to get them used to it. Hence, the money part. And Walmart does sell a sifting litter box for around $16. Tractor Supply (for the pellets) is in the neighboring town which is where I have to go to get my litter now, so no big deal.
I just hopes this works better than the shavings did.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I saw the same one at Walmart (Arm and Hammer brand?) but it was too small for three cats. That being said, if this transition is successful, we will have to build another one anyway...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw the same one at Walmart (Arm and Hammer brand?) but it was too small for three cats. That being said, if this transition is successful, we will have to build another one anyway...
I have two boxes now, so I'll just buy two.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Update- Evie has peed in the pine pellets!!! Unfortunately, Dexter and Emerson are still scare of them. Lol!