Pet Peeves

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bicycle riders riding on the footpaths, its so dangerous and scares the crap out of me
I don't know what a footpath would be, but what irritates and scares me about cyclists here is that some don't obey the laws of the road like they are supposed to if they are going to be riding on it. For example, the other day we were riding along, DH driving, and we passed a cyclist and a bit further along had to stop for the red light. It had turned green and we were just starting to go when that cyclist came right past us, scared the daylights out of me when he was suddenly there next to my passenger window.  If they want me to respect their right to be sharing the road with cars, then they need to be obeying the same laws I do!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what a footpath would be, but what irritates and scares me about cyclists here is that some don't obey the laws of the road like they are supposed to if they are going to be riding on it. For example, the other day we were riding along, DH driving, and we passed a cyclist and a bit further along had to stop for the red light. It had turned green and we were just starting to go when that cyclist came right past us, scared the daylights out of me when he was suddenly there next to my passenger window.  If they want me to respect their right to be sharing the road with cars, then they need to be obeying the same laws I do!
Maybe it was some kind of attempt in lane splitting?
http://newatlas.com/motorcycle-lane-splitting-filtering-safety-research/34425/

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's right. Husband could never figure out why an illegal bike rider on the sidewalk bothered me so much. I said imagine the injuries I would have after a 200LB man slams into me at a high speed on a bicycle.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I remember you posting before on this topic. It sounds like you don't really like your job or interacting with customers.
It's not that I don't like my job, its that I don't like the way I'm treated by customers sometimes. Its not like I'm ever actually snippy back to them. Though I wish I could be rude back to them sometimes. But I'm not, because that would make both the restaurant and myself look bad.

And like Willowy said, I enjoy working with nice customers. But the rude ones are just awful.

I've been working in that restaurant since I was 12 years old (10 years). I have a lot of experience and I know what I'm doing. So it really does get to me when customers try to convince me that I don't know what I'm doing. I could be a manager there if I had more time to dedicate to work (I'm still in college). I have been offered the position multiple times. It's not like I'll be working there for my whole life though.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
But that pedestrian issue comes from another peevee I believe, which is when people see only their own small bubble, when walking they don't pay attention what is around them and act because of that like if they would be alone in whole world, it can become so dense illusion that no bell all yelling comes trough the bubble.
Like when they are walking along playing that stupid Pokemon Go game! I was standing at a bus stop the other day and a man came up the road, squinting at his phone. I stepped back and had to practically flatten myself against the wall so that he wouldn't walk into me. 

I wonder what kind of magical world these people come from, where cars are as soft as cotton candy and lamp posts are made of rubber and it's perfectly safe to walk along in your own little bubble.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like when they are walking along playing that stupid Pokemon Go game! I was standing at a bus stop the other day and a man came up the road, squinting at his phone. I stepped back and had to practically flatten myself against the wall so that he wouldn't walk into me. 

I wonder what kind of magical world these people come from, where cars are as soft as cotton candy and lamp posts are made of rubber and it's perfectly safe to walk along in your own little bubble.

:9:
I guess they have read too much of Donald Duck cartoons and sheltered bit too well from harsh reality, really sucks for them as some day there will be that moment that will teach about reality all too quickly.

That does not explain those elderly ladies with tiny dogs though, but I guess getting old really sucks.

Cyclist I find problematic are those that act like if world would be their private race track and anything getting on their track seems to be considered as being at wrong place, I think there must be fundamental issues with their attitude towards life or at least in their perception of what they are in their surroundings.

For example, I tend to slow down to walking speed when there are kids, animals or elderly people on sight, but I know how some think that everything should move away from their way, how anyone can have such attitude, only way I can think that becoming possible is that those people also are living in such small bubble that they don't see whole picture. Of course we all have our bubble where we live in, based on what we have learned, what we value etc. But for some that seems so tiny and nothing pierces trough it, that never ceases to amaze me.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has "pet peeves" - things that totally get under your skin.

My biggest is gum snapping.  Hate it.  I have others, mostly related to repetitive snapping/clicking noises. But gum chewing and snapping really works my last nerve. 

Right now, my administrative assistant is doing it and I want to smack her. The only thing preventing me from doing so is a) it's wrong and b) I really like her a lot.  

At some point I'll have to mention it to her. Aside from my dislike of it, it really doesn't look good when one sits at a front desk and is greeting clients.  

So, while this isn't a question of the day (although would have been a good one!) I'm curious to hear what your peeves are.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sivyaleah, we have tons of peeves here. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/325846/pet-peeves

I've probably mentioned this before, but drivers who start to make a legal turn on a red light when I have the WALK signal drive me bonkers. So many drivers start making the turn without looking to see if a pedestrian is legally crossing.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
sivyaleah, we have tons of peeves here. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/325846/pet-peeves

I've probably mentioned this before, but drivers who start to make a legal turn on a red light when I have the WALK signal drive me bonkers. So many drivers start making the turn without looking to see if a pedestrian is legally crossing.
Hahaha, should have searched first!

Thanks for the link. I laughed at a lot of them.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeling testy today.

People who get pissy annoy me very much. A neighbor needed husband's help with something. I didn't feel like answering the phone so calls went into voice mail. Met him later on the street. Tried to find out what he needed - he walks away from me.

People who have their dogs off leash in city streets & wonder why their dog gets injured or killed by a car. Happens a lot round here.

People who don't listen to what I am saying. Or they listen, but they're not really hearing me. Frustrating.

People who send me an email. I reply with a question. Never hear from them again. A friend in town & my middle brother do that to me all the time.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know, for some reason, I was feeling rather pissy myself yesterday and I was the kind of driver that I don't like. Really, really crappy day at work and I just wanted to get home. I was seriously considering blowing some vacation time and coming home at noon, but decided against it. The phone would not stop ringing and people wanted stuff done yesterday. 

I was in back of this guy at the red light and the light seemed to take forever to change. When it finally did, the guy was texting on his phone and wouldn't go right away. I did not blow my horn; the guy behind me did. So the guy in front of me gave me the finger and I put both my hands in the air. Then he drove slowly through town; I guess he was trying to teach me a lesson, even though I wasn't the one who blew the horn. I didn't want to deal with him, so I turned down a back street. Gunned it, went down a couple blocks and pulled out again in front of him. Then he blew his horn, gave me the finger again and I flipped it right back again. Got to the intersection, waved at him in the mirror, and took my right turn. Nothing like instigating trouble, Pam.

Hit all three traffic lights on red, got behind very slow people (the passing lane is for passing, folks!! If you're not going to drive, get out of my way.) Started to follow some old guy all the way out the back road; he was driving 40 mph....yeah, that's the speed limit, but seriously? I passed him. Turned into my road and got behind a farmer on a tractor. I passed him, too. I didn't care anymore and there wasn't anything coming the other way. Got right to my driveway and there was a school bus coming the other way. He put his yellow lights on and I scooted up the driveway; there was no way I was stopping. I hate school buses and will go out of my way to avoid them. At that point, I was just glad to get home.

Came into the house, dropped my stuff on the table, looked at Rick on the couch, shook my head, and went into the kitchen.

Rick: Bad day, dear?

Me: D'ya think??

He went into the kitchen, opened a Smirnoff Ice and handed it to me. 

(And I'm sure that the guy who gave me the finger and the slow-driving old guy I passed on the road got home and were talking to their wives about the witch -- with a B -- who they had to deal with on their way home)

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Well Pam I can say yeah I have done some DUMB things similar. One got me a ticket for "Following Too Close". When I tried to leap frog away from the 
 in the left lane just because they were purposely holding up the lane of traffic...so nope I try to keep my cool. Only on the highway has my patience been tested it seems. There are two lanes people. If you see people booking it-move over! And if I pass on your right don't put your high beams on or flip me off! And there's normally at least 4 or 5 cars behind me tailgating me when we are already going 75-80. THAT ANNOYS ME!

I just want to drive 70 but you can't. You got morons on the right going 55. Then the speed demons want to go 85. I can't win.

And yes I have flipped people off and blown my horn. I try not to flip anymore due to the increase in morons carrying hand guns. BUT I will put my middle finger against the steering wheel facing out if you are in front of me. At least it doesn't look like I purposely flipped you off but I AM!

And my truck horn is LOUD. So yeah I have been known to blow the horn a few times-usually morons on the highway try to cut into my lane and don't look...so you bet I lay into the horn. I am not going to risk getting my truck smashed because you are too lazy to look in your mirror MORON!! that's my pet peeve!

This morning were speed demons again ANDDD A statey Came out on the Spaulding!!! HAHAHA I always slow down coming around the corner cause the speed limit drops from 65 to 55. And I wasn't going to get nailed..I was still coasting at 65 when he came on the ramp. Just took foot off gas and it slowed down to 55. I wanted him IN front of me! And I will slow down and let you go..Then the speed demon Tailgated the cop!! WTH?! I was hoping the cop would nail him but he didn't..he pulled over to the right inbetween two exits..as I was motoring away and up and around a hill to a corner-then down a straightaway=I saw blue flashing lights about 1/4 mile back=didn't take him long to nail someone...Sat/Sun morning you can't speed folks...

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People who don't listen to what I am saying. Or they listen, but they're not really hearing me.
I got this the wrong way round. I should have said: they hear me, but they're not really listening. Husband does this to me all the time.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in back of this guy at the red light and the light seemed to take forever to change. When it finally did, the guy was texting on his phone and wouldn't go right away. I did not blow my horn; the guy behind me did. So the guy in front of me gave me the finger and I put both my hands in the air. Then he drove slowly through town; I guess he was trying to teach me a lesson, even though I wasn't the one who blew the horn. I didn't want to deal with him, so I turned down a back street. Gunned it, went down a couple blocks and pulled out again in front of him. Then he blew his horn, gave me the finger again and I flipped it right back again. Got to the intersection, waved at him in the mirror, and took my right turn. Nothing like instigating trouble, Pam.

Hit all three traffic lights on red, got behind very slow people (the passing lane is for passing, folks!! If you're not going to drive, get out of my way.) Started to follow some old guy all the way out the back road; he was driving 40 mph....yeah, that's the speed limit, but seriously? I passed him. Turned into my road and got behind a farmer on a tractor. I passed him, too. I didn't care anymore and there wasn't anything coming the other way. Got right to my driveway and there was a school bus coming the other way. He put his yellow lights on and I scooted up the driveway; there was no way I was stopping. I hate school buses and will go out of my way to avoid them. At that point, I was just glad to get home.
LOL. Pam, aka Mad Max. :eek:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Late people

This morning our opening manager was a whopping 3 hours late (scheduled for 9am didn't get in until NOON!) and the person who was supposed to come in at 10am was 2 hours late! So it was just me and 1 other employee there to open the whole dang restaurant! What's worse was that since our opening manager wasn't there on time, no one was there to turn on the steam table in time so none of the food was hot until almost noon and we weren't able to open until 12:30 because we couldn't run the whole restaurant with just 2 people! We were frantically calling the opening manager because we were afraid something had happened to him because he is almost never late. And apparently, according to my mother (also my boss) he had stayed out late drinking the night before and passed out without setting an alarm.

And then the girl who was supposed to come in at 10 apparently didn't know she had to work that day because she "thought she told the manager not to schedule her on sundays".

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've peeved about this many times, but it always gets my goat. People who don't reply to emails. It even happened to me here. I sent a PM to someone here recently that I had never PM'd before on a topic I thought would interest her. Did she ever acknowledge my PM? No, she did not. So rude.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
LOL. Pam, aka Mad Max. :eek:
I know! I don't often flip out in my car, but man, sometimes......

Late people

This morning our opening manager was a whopping 3 hours late (scheduled for 9am didn't get in until NOON!) and the person who was supposed to come in at 10am was 2 hours late! So it was just me and 1 other employee there to open the whole dang restaurant! What's worse was that since our opening manager wasn't there on time, no one was there to turn on the steam table in time so none of the food was hot until almost noon and we weren't able to open until 12:30 because we couldn't run the whole restaurant with just 2 people! We were frantically calling the opening manager because we were afraid something had happened to him because he is almost never late. And apparently, according to my mother (also my boss) he had stayed out late drinking the night before and passed out without setting an alarm.

And then the girl who was supposed to come in at 10 apparently didn't know she had to work that day because she "thought she told the manager not to schedule her on sundays".
Our admin assistant's normal time is 8:30 to 4:30. She asked to be re-scheduled to 9:00 to 5:00. She never gets to work much before 10:00. She has laundry to do, she has to vacuum, she has to bake a cake, in the summer, she has to water her flowers. She has to, she has to, she has to. She gets away with it, though, so not up to us. I think she's quite proud of it. But it's frustrating because until she gets here, we have to answer the phones, we have to take care of people. And technically, it's not our jobs.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When customers who break jars in the next aisle and start laughing, saying "clean-up in aisle 3". Very funny.

When "customers" sample food products and leave the remnants, not thinking of paying. Really? You can be arrested.

When customers throw bills and coins on the register counter to pay and then extend their hand to receive their change. These people are usually the ones who lick their fingers to separate their bills.

When a customer will "soil" our restrooms and leave it. Or spill a coffee and walk away. Or leave their drink cup with liquid remains on the shelves.

When a customer asks me if we have dishtowels and I take a second to think if they are in stock, this person will say "do you know what I'm talking about"? Really, I have done dishes since childhood and have completed six years college. No, I don't know what you may be talking about.

When I will drop something all over the floor that I'm carrying and very able-bodied gentlemen will step right over it without offering to help.

NO, I DO NOT HATE MY JOB. I LOVE MY JOB. WHAT BOTHERS ME IS HOW RUDE WE BEHAVE WHEN OUT IN PUBLIC. I WORK VERY HARD TO RESPECT EVERY GUEST IN OUR STORE AND RECEIVE MANY CUSTOMER SERVICE AWARDS. IT JUST MAKES ME SAD HOW DISRESPECTFUL PEOPLE CAN BE. A VERY SAD PET PEEVE FOR ME IS SEEING CO-WORKERS WITH CHALLENGES INSULTED BY CUSTOMERS.

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING TO MY PET PEEVES!