Pet Peeves

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know! I don't often flip out in my car, but man, sometimes......

Our admin assistant's normal time is 8:30 to 4:30. She asked to be re-scheduled to 9:00 to 5:00. She never gets to work much before 10:00. She has laundry to do, she has to vacuum, she has to bake a cake, in the summer, she has to water her flowers. She has to, she has to, she has to. She gets away with it, though, so not up to us. I think she's quite proud of it. But it's frustrating because until she gets here, we have to answer the phones, we have to take care of people. And technically, it's not our jobs.
Oh man that's horrible! That type of behavior is not tollerated where I work.

But the only reason why it was such a huge deal that my manager and one other employee were so late is because our restaurant is typically run by only 4 people at a time. And the opening manager is the one who gets in first at 8 or 9am and is in charge of turning the steam table on (so the food is hot by the time opening time ((10:30am)) rolls around) as well as doing loads of other opening prep work. So when Alisha (the only other employee besides myself that was actually on time) got to work at 10am, the manager was nowhere to be found so nothing was done and the food was still packed up in the fridge and the steam table was not turned on.

It was 2 hours past our usual opening time before we were able to open because it takes time for the steam table heat up and we couldn't just serve cold food. So because of this, the restaurant lost 2 hours worth of profits.

When customers who break jars in the next aisle and start laughing, saying "clean-up in aisle 3". Very funny.

When "customers" sample food products and leave the remnants, not thinking of paying. Really? You can be arrested.

When customers throw bills and coins on the register counter to pay and then extend their hand to receive their change. These people are usually the ones who lick their fingers to separate their bills.

When a customer will "soil" our restrooms and leave it. Or spill a coffee and walk away. Or leave their drink cup with liquid remains on the shelves.

When a customer asks me if we have dishtowels and I take a second to think if they are in stock, this person will say "do you know what I'm talking about"? Really, I have done dishes since childhood and have completed six years college. No, I don't know what you may be talking about.

When I will drop something all over the floor that I'm carrying and very able-bodied gentlemen will step right over it without offering to help.

NO, I DO NOT HATE MY JOB. I LOVE MY JOB. WHAT BOTHERS ME IS HOW RUDE WE BEHAVE WHEN OUT IN PUBLIC. I WORK VERY HARD TO RESPECT EVERY GUEST IN OUR STORE AND RECEIVE MANY CUSTOMER SERVICE AWARDS. IT JUST MAKES ME SAD HOW DISRESPECTFUL PEOPLE CAN BE. A VERY SAD PET PEEVE FOR ME IS SEEING CO-WORKERS WITH CHALLENGES INSULTED BY CUSTOMERS.

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING TO MY PET PEEVES!
Ugh I could go on for hours about how annoying some customers can be.

A few weeks ago, I was closing and after vaccuming the rug by the front door, I look up, and there was an 8-10 foot smear of ground beef chili across our front wall (which is not visible to employees during working hours so we didn't know it was there until after closing because nobody even said anything about it ). It was like a child had taken an entire taco and just smushed and smeared it all over the wall. It had to have been a child because if how low it was to the ground. If someone had just told us about it and said "I'm sorry but my kid just made a mess on the front wall over here." I would have cleaned it up and I wouldn't have been mad about it but the fact that nobody said anything about it just really irritated me. I was like, Seriously? If I had done something like that as a kid my parents would have been so mad at me and they would have offered to clean up the mess themselves. But no, they just left the huge mess assuming that someone would magically know it was there .

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A few weeks ago, I was closing and after vaccuming the rug by the front door, I look up, and there was an 8-10 foot smear of ground beef chili across our front wall (which is not visible to employees during working hours so we didn't know it was there until after closing because nobody even said anything about it ). It was like a child had taken an entire taco and just smushed and smeared it all over the wall. It had to have been a child because if how low it was to the ground. If someone had just told us about it and said "I'm sorry but my kid just made a mess on the front wall over here." I would have cleaned it up and I wouldn't have been mad about it but the fact that nobody said anything about it just really irritated me. I was like, Seriously? If I had done something like that as a kid my parents would have been so mad at me and they would have offered to clean up the mess themselves. But no, they just left the huge mess assuming that someone would magically know it was there .
I understand your frustration about kids and clueless parents in restaurants. No, I don't work in a restaurant, but a lot of the reason why we don't go to restaurants that often anymore is because of kids running around rampant and the parents who don't even try to discipline them......mostly because their eyes are glued to their cell phones.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand your frustration about kids and clueless parents in restaurants. No, I don't work in a restaurant, but a lot of the reason why we don't go to restaurants that often anymore is because of kids running around rampant and the parents who don't even try to discipline them......mostly because their eyes are glued to their cell phones.
It's like that in lots of places not just restaurants. This is one of the many reasons I avoid Wal Mart like the plague. There are always screaming kids with oblivious parents there.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It just seems that parents are allowing their kids to go wild all over the place. I like kids, but I cannot tolerate unruly screaming ones, and when the parents allow their kids to run rampant and not invoke any rules... well that really gets me...

On Good Friday, we had a service in my Church. There was one family seated near the front of the church, with two toddlers.. All you could hear was screaming.. just constant screaming.. we could not even hear the speakers during mass. It was really bad. I was about to walk over to them and ask them to take the kids into the entryway so we could have some peace and concentrate... It was Church, for crying out out!!

The service was 3/4 over when I think someone said something to them, because the mother took the kids out.. After a few minutes.. the Father took the kids back into church!! idiot!! Ok, I can see they are wanting to teach them about religion, but this guy was clueless. You could see who was "in Charge" of the family...
I felt bad for his wife at this point. She was trying to keep the kids under control....

Again, the wife took the kids out... the Father stayed, watching the service, never once relieving his wife... clueless...

In my apartment building, on my floor, I have a neighbor whose toddlers run, down the hall screaming, and having temper tantrums. On more than one occasion, they occur outside my door. I have also had my door decorations pulled apart from these kids.
My super refuses to get involved.
I have opened my door several times to comment to them. At first it was, nicely.. "have indoor voices, it is not being outside' or I would just shush them.. Mind you, they are with their mother at the time..She is oblivious..
I finally had to resort to yelling at them, because the shrieking was really making me and Artie jump. He always jumped, running to the door, being scared.
The mother gets upset when I say something.. She feels they are:
"KIDS and you cannot control KIDS"...

I was flabbergasted when I heard this!! When did this idea about letting kids run wild, begin???

Another neighbor, who does have a very quiet child, told me that also. She said you cannot control kids????????
I have never heard of such a thing!!

grrrrrrrr getting to the point that I want to live in an over fifty community, away from all contact with kids.....grrrr

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our admin assistant's normal time is 8:30 to 4:30. She asked to be re-scheduled to 9:00 to 5:00. She never gets to work much before 10:00. She has laundry to do, she has to vacuum, she has to bake a cake, in the summer, she has to water her flowers. She has to, she has to, she has to. She gets away with it, though, so not up to us. I think she's quite proud of it. But it's frustrating because until she gets here, we have to answer the phones, we have to take care of people. And technically, it's not our jobs.
This behavior comes from the top down. Whoever is above her is allowing this.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This behavior comes from the top down. Whoever is above her is allowing this.
Oh absolutely. You get no argument from me. But the boss lets it go and everybody in the building knows what time she gets into work. She's probably the admin assistant with the most seniority.....period.....and nobody will confront her about it. She's in with all the powers-that-be and she knows it. And she always has an excuse. Always. We've gotten to the point where we've stopped answering the phone, let the calls go to voice mail and let her deal with them when she comes in.