Pet Insurance Advice?

chloebelle

Geneva's Mama & Daughter of the OG Cat Lady!
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm looking into pet insurance for Geneva. One of the most frustrating things for me is when people take on pets without having a plan for affording veterinary care. For Geneva's first visit it was $600! :bawling: I was prepared for that though and had set money aside before looking for a cat. I am able to afford routine care. However, I want a safety net in case of catastrophic injury or severe illness like cancer, or in the case of our old family cat brain damage caused from seizing after his neuter that lead to life long seizures. The struggle we went through with him really stressed the importance of financial readiness when it comes to pets. Because I probably won't be able to afford thousands of dollars up front if something like that were to happen. What pet insurance do you all have and what are some of the pros and cons? I was wondering if any of you have experience with the insurance reimbursing the vet directly? Some plans I've looked at offer that but only if the veterinarian agrees. Any luck finding some that do? The issue is that if something awful were to happen to her and it were $5,000 and I didn't have it, I'd still be expected to pay it but the insurance would pay me back. Most people I understand charge the bill on a credit card and then pay it down with the reimbursement money from the insurance. However, I am freshly 18 and in the process of building my credit. Right now I have no score and would not be approved for a credit card, let alone one with that High of a limit. I really want to look into care credit but there is no way I'd be approved so I think one that directly pays the vet is my only real option for the time being, but I get the feeling this is not common. What are your thoughts on my situation?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't use pet insurance but many people here do. While you wait for responses, give these a read:

General Information About Pet Insurance.
Pet Insurance: Yea Or Nay?
Pet insurance: which one?
Pet Insurance Recommendations: Please suggest
I Would Like To Know What Pet Insurance Plan(s) I Should Consider.

I suggest bookmarking these links or printing them out if you ever find yourself in a situation where your cat needs treatment but you can't afford the bill:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
When You Can't Afford A Veterinarian
Financial Aid for Pets

If your cat is healthy and just needs a once a year exam and vaccinations, a low cost vet clinic is the most affordable. Many offer a basic exam and vaccinations and maybe a few minor procedures. Look for one in your area. Have a full service hospital as a back up in case your cat ever needs more involved care and treatment or for emergencies.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was looking at pet insurance after I adopted my cat. But I never really delved too deep into though I did get some quotes from like two pet insurance which was affordable. Even though my cat has gingivitis, I was still thinking about it but then he developed a URI and I realized it would be useless because insurance companies don't like to pay out and would have used that and the gingivitis as a pre-existing condition. So for now, I opened a savings account and take out at least 30% of my income to put into that account. The links that LTS3 LTS3 gave are great. I would highly suggest to read those thoroughly!