I Would Like To Know What Pet Insurance Plan(s) I Should Consider.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of choice and a lot of options - too many. Its daunting for the average consumer. Any recs??

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Healthy Paws and Pets Best seem to get the best reviews.

It's generally best not to get the "deluxe" plans that pay for routine care. The monthly premiums will cost more than the routine stuff would cost if you just paid for it. A good mid-level plan is usually the best choice.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
2017 Pet Insurance Review - comparison of Nationwide, VPI, ASPCA, etc.
This is the place to go to research pet insurance. You can see everything side by side all laid out in black and white.
This was super helpful when I was trying to decide.

Some things you want to consider: How are deductibles applied? (yearly, monthly, per condition?), what is excluded, are take home meds excluded, what is considered pre-existing, how and when do premiums increase (do they increase with age? when you make a claim?), how are claims processed?, how quickly are claims processed, how do you get your money when you make a claim? How often are claims denied and for what reasons?
---these are all questions to consider and to call and ask before you decide on a plan.

I went with Trupanion.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I had trupanion. They were fine and they paid.
Oh great to hear that. I haven't had to make a claim yet. I went with them because my dog is a cavalier king charles spaniel and they are prone to heart disease. Trupanion applies their deductibles per condition, and I think I can pretty much predict what I would potentially have to pay for (though you never know really) so this way I don't have to pay a deductible every year. Once its paid (per condition), its paid for the lifetime of the pet.