People who live alone: how do you trim your cat’s nails?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sophie has a character on the best of days, but if I try to get near her with a nail clipper, she turns into an enraged tigress ready to disembowel me! I live alone so it’s not possible to have someone to help me. I tried to do the burrito thing once, but she fought so hard, it was almost impossible to put her in the burrito in the first place, let alone get to her nails. I think I managed to do one or two, but I was covered in scratches by the end of it, and we were both traumatized by the experience. To this day when she sees me pick up a towel or blanket and happen to walk towards her with it, she runs and hides.
I was wondering if anyone who lives alone has had some success training their cats to accept nail trimming. She is almost 3 so I know it might be hard to do it, but since she is food motivated, I figured I would try this. She has a favorite treat (those liquid treats). She goes crazy for them so I am trying to train her to get used to the “I only get my treat when mama holds my paws” deal. She is not a fan and growls while eating the treat. It’s actually funny to watch and listen as she is growling yet eating at the same time. Ultimately (and through a very slow process I’m sure) I am hoping that she wil let me trim her nails while she is eating said treat on a plate. Does it sound like a silly idea? She’s getting better with me holding her right paw (still growls when I hold the left one). She’s not a fan when I squeeze them to get the nails to come out, but she is getting better at that too. I am desperate to find a way to do it. Her nails are SO long and sharp they hurt! I have in the past taken her to the vet for a nail trim, but I live in NYC and am trying to limit my outings to the bare minimum right now.
Do you think my idea could eventually work? Do you have techniques you can share with me?
Thanks and stay safe!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! And, yes - I think you have a very good plan. I do believe that over time it will work. It sounds like you are already seeing positive signs. When you finally get to the point to actually trim a nail - just trim one (or two, if you can get away with it) and let it be until the next go-round.

I have not had to resort to much in the way of tricks for Feeby, so I can't offer any other techniques than the one I have always been able to use with her. I sit in a chair, place her on her butt in between my legs, sitting away from me and then proceed to trim. This position doesn't give her much 'wiggle room' and her claws are always facing away from me. But, she has always been a relatively docile cat - she is much more of a vocal-only protester. I do have to say by the time I am getting to the last nail or two she has just about had all she can handle!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are so lucky to have a docile cat!My last cat Huxley would let me do it while he was asleep, but Sophie always sleeps with one eye open! She’s one of these hyper aware cats who are never fully relaxed. I’ve had her for 2 years now and it is only recently that I can move around the house with her not waking up and following my every move to make sure I’m not going to jump her or something. It’s taken her a long time to trust me and we’re not entirely there yet, so I don’t want to make the nail trimming a horrible experience for her as it would set us back. Hopefully with patience and plenty of treats, we can get there.
Hi! And, yes - I think you have a very good plan. I do believe that over time it will work. It sounds like you are already seeing positive signs. When you finally get to the point to actually trim a nail - just trim one (or two, if you can get away with it) and let it be until the next go-round.

I have not had to resort to much in the way of tricks for Feeby, so I can't offer any other techniques than the one I have always been able to use with her. I sit in a chair, place her on her butt in between my legs, sitting away from me and then proceed to trim. This position doesn't give her much 'wiggle room' and her claws are always facing away from me. But, she has always been a relatively docile cat - she is much more of a vocal-only protester. I do have to say by the time I am getting to the last nail or two she has just about had all she can handle!!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys are pretty easy going. I just flip them on their back and sit them on my lap. Then trim each claw and clean up the mess with a hand vac.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hold mine on my lap, belly up, grab a paw and clip his nails, then give him his favorite treat but I have been doing that since he was a kitten.

In your case I would suggest the sleep sneak attack where you clip one nail just a little bit and give your kitty it’s favorite treat afterward.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Do you think my idea could eventually work? Do you have techniques you can share with me?
Any idea like yours that doesn't stress the cat is fine. Nail clipping is an ordeal to many cats and cat hoomans as well.

My boy does not like his nails clipped and he's very suspicious of me each time as I approach him. He'll look at my hands to see if I'm hiding the nail clipper in them :lol:
I usually trim his nails when he is drowsy or asleep and I try to clip as many nails as I can. Once he doesn't let me do it anymore, he'll hide his legs under him. I'll then continue the next day. On a good day, I can manage his front legs except the dewclaw as it is a little more difficult to reach. Any nails that can't be clipped will always be done the next day as I also don't want to stress him out.

Sometimes when he's not drowsy, I'll gently massage his paw and gently squeeze it to get the nails out without clipping it so that he don't suspect me. After a few times, I'll quickly clip the nails.

You don't have to really clip the nail short. As long as you can clip off the sharp tip (not too deep in), it'll be good and slowly progress to clip more in the next session. Unless you cat allows you to hold and push the claws out for clipping, then you can clip it shorter but do not clip it too close the quick. Always get plain flour or corn flour on standby just incase you clip the quick as it is painful and will bleed. It's easier to see the quick if your cat's nails are clear rather than black. If you accidentally clip the quick and it bleeds, use the flour to cover the nail to stop the bleeding.

Here's where to clip the nails :-

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can not stress enough the power of treats!!! Every time I do anything that annoys a cat (clipping nails, brushing, foam bath, flea medication etc.) I end it with treats. Preferably a high value treat like those tiny fancy feast pouches that have flaked tuna or salmon inside. It makes things go easier if they know they will get a treat afterward & they destress faster because they know it is over.

When I visit my mom’s I brush her kitties, clip their claws & trim her fluffy baby girl (to prevent mats & poo in her long fur.) Even though she is a nipper and does better with 2 people doing the job, treats still help.

⭐ I also like to get them high on catnip before I clip their claws if I can. I give them a large pinch or two of catnip & give them 15 minutes or so. Then I clip their claws or give Cami a trim around her but.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is food-motivated in the least, the treats method works. Mine never were too bad about having their nails trimmed, but the treats afterward made it much better.

That catnip buzz should be helpful. Mine are pretty well wasted after a "salad." If my cats were difficult to deal with at a trimming session, I'd certainly try it.

Smokey1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

I wait until they're dead asleep.. even so I have to stress them out even more before they allow any ten, front and back, nails to be cut. Sometimes I can't , I'll leave it to next time they're feeling soft.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When i had minish i followed every rule i found to be able to cut her nails - getting her used to being handled, positive reinforcements... she lets me touch every part of her body including pushing her claws out. but she simply doesn't want her nails cut! she conveyed this in so many ways: waking up from deep sleep when the clipper was "sensed", clawing my hands, growling and biting from inside the blanket burrito..

She insisted, i insisted... I had already scracth-proofed most of my house (no leather, smooth fabrics and carpets, corner of my favorite couch covered with a cloth, many scratching items at places she prefers - posts I made from cardboard, some slippers I will not miss). she doesnt scratch me if I don't invade her personal space. Scratching for play ends the play so she controls her claws around me. So I let her win this one.

I still cut them sometimes (i.e. to save my yoga mat after covering it with a towel didn't work) when they're cut, even through these battles, she never harbors hard feelings. sometimes leads me to the kitchen to convey that she deserves a meal after the ordeal. however, she uses scratching posts much more after this and gets much sharper nails in a few days.

treat motivation is great, lets them do or allow things they otherwise wouldn't (minish does excellent high fives with a look on her face that says "lets get it over with") but soo time consuming and still as you said, Sophie hates it even if she allows it. maybe consider letting this one go?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on the cat. I sit Leroy on the bathroom counter facing away from me and hold him close to my body while I clip. With Emma, I have kneel on the floor and tuck her between my knees

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think catnip would work with my cat. She gets crazy zoomies after I give her catnip. I trim her nails after playtime and a meal. She's usually mellow and sleepy then.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sophie doesn’t react to catnip, she reacts to another kind of plant whose name I forgot, but it makes her even more excited, not what I would need! Lol
If your cat is food-motivated in the least, the treats method works. Mine never were too bad about having their nails trimmed, but the treats afterward made it much better.

That catnip buzz should be helpful. Mine are pretty well wasted after a "salad." If my cats were difficult to deal with at a trimming session, I'd certainly try it.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have let it go for many months now! Lol the problem is when I hold her to pet her or when she kneads my arms, it really, really hurts and she scratches me without meaning to of course.
When i had minish i followed every rule i found to be able to cut her nails - getting her used to being handled, positive reinforcements... she lets me touch every part of her body including pushing her claws out. but she simply doesn't want her nails cut! she conveyed this in so many ways: waking up from deep sleep when the clipper was "sensed", clawing my hands, growling and biting from inside the blanket burrito..

She insisted, i insisted... I had already scracth-proofed most of my house (no leather, smooth fabrics and carpets, corner of my favorite couch covered with a cloth, many scratching items at places she prefers - posts I made from cardboard, some slippers I will not miss). she doesnt scratch me if I don't invade her personal space. Scratching for play ends the play so she controls her claws around me. So I let her win this one.

I still cut them sometimes (i.e. to save my yoga mat after covering it with a towel didn't work) when they're cut, even through these battles, she never harbors hard feelings. sometimes leads me to the kitchen to convey that she deserves a meal after the ordeal. however, she uses scratching posts much more after this and gets much sharper nails in a few days.

treat motivation is great, lets them do or allow things they otherwise wouldn't (minish does excellent high fives with a look on her face that says "lets get it over with") but soo time consuming and still as you said, Sophie hates it even if she allows it. maybe consider letting this one go?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have let it go for many months now! Lol the problem is when I hold her to pet her or when she kneads my arms, it really, really hurts and she scratches me without meaning to of course.
If you have let it go too long only take a tiny bit off the claw. When allowed to grow the quick gets long and cutting that is like having your nail crushed in the car door. Painful and bloody. This happened with our golden retriever.

After you get them under control the quick will reced back.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tip. I didn’t know.
If you have let it go too long only take a tiny bit off the claw. When allowed to grow the quick gets long and cutting that is like having your nail crushed in the car door. Painful and bloody. This happened with our golden retriever.

After you get them under control the quick will reced back.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your treat plan sounds perfect! You may only be able to do one or two nails a day even after lots of treats, but that'll work!

My Delilah hates nail trims, but she loves her treats so much that even though she knows exactly what's coming, she'll still come close enough for me to grab her when I shake her treat bag. She's still not happy about it and will bite me, so I hold her in my lap with a blanket over my legs, and use one forearm to keep her there and block her mouth, and use that hand to hold the paw and the other to clip. Quickly.

She gets lots and lots of treats after whether she was good or bad. She doesn't hold it against me because she knows once we're done and she has her treats, we're done for the day and she can come tome for cuddles without worrying.