Over weight cat with grooming problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wow this helped me a lot! I will definitely be doing this! I already lessened their meals but if anything this will help them! I appreciate this so so much!
You feed them twice at night? dry and wet?

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's so cute!! :petcat:

Honestly, basically any wet food will be better than dry food ("the cheapest wet food is better than the most expensive dry food"). There are lots of forum members who have examples (Fancy Feast, Purina, etc.) -- I suggest looking through the Cat Nutrition forums for recent threads related to wet food. Wet food is much less calorie dense, more nutritious and filling, and is great for hydration. You should figure out how many calories your cat is currently eating or should eat at their current weight, then slowly scale that back by ~10 calories per week if they aren't losing weight. You will likely need to use a scale to *actually* measure the grams of food they are eating. It is not a lot of math, you just need to know the calories per gram in the food they are eating.

Honestly, basically any wet food will be better than dry food ("the cheapest wet food is better than the most expensive dry food"). There are lots of forum members who have examples (Fancy Feast, Purina, etc.) -- I suggest looking through the Cat Nutrition forums for recent threads related to wet food. Wet food is much less calorie dense, more nutritious and filling, and is great for hydration. You should figure out how many calories your cat is currently eating or should eat at their current weight, then slowly scale that back by ~10 calories per week if they aren't losing weight. You will likely need to use a scale to *actually* measure the grams of food they are eating. It is not a lot of math, you just need to know the calories per gram in the food they are eating.

great thank you! I will get back to you and everyone else once I am done with his current dry food!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't buy totally new dry food and change it all out at once, that can cause stomach/digestive issues. If there is a wet food he has eaten before, then replace some of the dry with that. Oh, and count the number of treats he gets, and gradually reduce that amount too. This is a process and I commend you for wanting to help this little guy out!! When you get a chance, let us know his name too!!

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure who you were asking, but I feed my cat wet 4 times/day (about 1 can total) and a small kibble snack overnight of ~15 kibble pieces. I do the frequent feedings so she doesn't get as "hangry" as when I only fed her 2 times per day (she would get HUNGRY 2 hours before dinner and it took all my willpower not to feed her early). As cats age, they also are less tolerant to only eating a couple times per day and might get nauseous/their stomach gets too acidic going too long between meals.

Edit: If you are going to change his diet, you should look into acquiring some wet food now so he can have a gradual transition from dry to wet (while you still have dry food on hand).

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
his name is jax! We call him chunks often haha! I am d definitely going to buy the new food people suggested but I will definitely keep his original dry food and eventually add the new one!
This is for both jax and henney!
1B785E96-3BB5-4739-8249-614B27D6F2D5.jpeg

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you!

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you don’t know my struggles with my cat please look at my page!
Should i totally get rid of dry?
What times should i feed my cats?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Such pretty coloring - that is Henney, right? With your help, Jax-chunks will do very well, I am sure! Keep us posted, and ask questions as often as you would like.

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much for your help! Yes , orange is henney and grey is jax!
I’ll keep you posted but as of right now I will be reducing their meals!
In a few days when i have the chance to go out i will buy their new meals! And eventually trade it out!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
since you are trying to get him to lose weight, I would get rid of dry and go to all wet. I provided a couple of articles about doing that on one of your threads. As far as scheduled meals, that depends on your schedule. I would suggest in the morning, right before bedtime, and sometime in between those two times. Personally, I feed around 8 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat needs help when cleaning it’s bottom.
I typically use a wipe and spray. Something qtips.
Any other suggestions?

kendradoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wow this helped me a lot! I will definitely be doing this! I already lessened their meals but if anything this will help them! I appreciate this so so much!
You feed them twice at night? dry and wet?
Not sure if you meant to quote me or suzeanna, but in case it was me... yes, I feed them dry in the AM, dry in the PM with a little scoop (around 1 tablespoon) along with the PM dry. If your cat is prone to vomiting due to eating too fast/much, you can space out the wet as a lunchtime snack or an hour or so before the PM dry.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat needs help when cleaning it’s bottom.
I typically use a wipe and spray. Something qtips.
Any other suggestions?
Best is to use pet wipes which are safe for cats or you may use wet wipes for hoomans but make sure it's fragrance, alcohol, preservatives, moisturizer, scent and paraben free. Or you may use a warm piece of soft towel slightly damp to clean and wipe. But I'll go with the disposable wipes than towel and gently wipe the bottom.

Mr. White Wisker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone, my cat is a bigger cat. By being bigger I constantly need to groom him. However being big causes many problems leading him to struggle with cleaning himself (his bum) !
I constantly see poop stains on my bed.This happens 1-2 times a week. The sheet on top of my bed is now just a throw on so my real sheets do not get stained. It is getting gross and way overdue.
Do i need to groom him more? Buy new food? Clean down there?
Please leave me tips! I am struggling
My kitty was “large and lovely” in her younger days and could not reach down there to clean. When she didn’t feel too fresh she would come to me for help. She plopped down at my feet and assumed the normal clean your bum position cats do. This let me know to grab some paper towels, one dampened with warm water and one dry. This helped keep her happy and my house cleaner.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ani ani : Hello and welcome to TCS. Your cats are both beautiful. Good luck with your journey to bringing Jax to a healthy weight.

We have Canadian members here who can suggest brands of food. I know rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama is one.
Thanks for tagging me, LTS3 LTS3 . However, because of my Ruby's food sensitivity, my main focus is on foods that contain only duck, so my knowledge on other brands of foods is minimal.

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still unsure what food I should feed my cats.

I’ve decided I will be going all wet, and only add dry in the morning to start off the switch!

I will post my new feeding schedule soon.

Any food request ?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
For wet food- Friskies and Fancy Feast, honestly. Wet ONLY, their dry is pretty bad.

Very budget friendly, biologically appropriate (meat/water/organs/some rice- no unnecessary veggies, fruits, etc.), and cats tend to like them (you can spend hundreds on boutique pet food, but if the cats don't like them...). If you have an Aldi near you, their Heart to Tail brand is basically Friskies and FF, but significantly cheaper per can.

Tractor Supply 4Health/Paws and Claws is another good option.

For dry food, I've had good luck with Purina One sensitive stomach and Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've fed both TSC Paws & Claws and Friskies canned food to my cats. I'm no cat nutrition expert, but they seem to have done well on both. I also use Purina One and Purina Pro Plan dry food.

Big thing is that they like it and will reliably eat it (although my cats seem to be far from fussy).

ani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you! My cat is also going on a weight loss diet!