Our Sweet Zampano "Zampy"

saraharizona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sterling, Virginia (Far Western D.C. suburbs)
We lost him this past Sunday - he was 15 years old and insulin-dependent.  He was a BIG Maine Coon, but with bright blue eyes, and we think he was the sweetest cat in the whole wide world.  Things got bad for him about a week ago; his behavior had changed; he was sleeping in weird places and was subdued.  The vet found that he had a heart murmur and, worse, bleeding in his belly from a source they could not identify without surgery. Given his age and his obvious distress, we didn't do it.  Instead, on Sunday, we put him down.  I held him in my lap while the medications were administered.  I'll never forget the sight of his beautiful head sinking down on my knee as she gave the first shot.  Then, the Pentobarbital.  As sad as we are, we know we did the right thing for him in his time of need.  But it hurts so bad.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sad for you loosing your kitty.  I lost mine at 13, 32 days ago.  That first shot makes them so limp, it was hard to watch.  They had wanted to cut him open to determine if he had cancer but I would not allow it.  I think you made good call  by not putting him thru this.  They get so stressed just going to the vet I can't imagine how they would feel about surgery & waking up in pain.   If he had died on the table you would have not had this important time to say goodbye.  Given his other health problems & age I am sure you did the right thing.  However, we do the right thing for them & then it is so final.  They are gone forever and it breaks our hearts.

He is now running & playing on the other side.  No pain, no sickness; just joy & peace.  Tell us more about your kitty.  It helps to share.

RIP Big Maine Coon Spirit

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Million hugs coming your way *hugshugshugs* sincere condolences for your loss!

R.I.P Zampy, you wonderful kitty :heart2:

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing - sounds like he would have died in the near future, but it would have been painful instead of quick and pain free.  As much as we never want to say goodbye, we know at some point that day will come -- no cat, no human, lives forever.  It hurts, of course, but it would hurt as much or more had he died a month or two months from now while in great pain.  You upheld your responsibility as his caretaker/friend.  I can tell you from personal experience that waiting too long is not fair to your cat (in my case it was probably 12 hours too long, but even that short period of time was unfair to my feline friend who was at the end stage of heart disease -- if I could take it back I would never have let him go through that before being euthanized).

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
whew.... definitely the hardest thing I've ever done...yet like you.... we certainly loved them so much we didn't want them to suffer. I'm so sorry for your loss.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, I know the pain of losing such a valued member of your family. They always gave us such unconditional love and joy, it's so very hard to live in a world without them. Time will soften the pain, and one day you will smile when you think of him and not cry, as that sweet boy would want. No one wants to see a loved one suffer, you offered your last act of love by sparing that wonderful cat future pain, be gentle on yourself and know in your heart you did the right thing. Please take care.....RIP beautiful Zampano, you will be forever loved!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Godspeed, Zampy
Maine Coons are just such incredible personalities (the quintessential family cat) - I feel badly for your loss. You showed true love in letting him go, knowing that the end of his pain would be the beginning of yours and I salute you for doing the right thing. And someday, Zampy will thank you by meeting you at the Bridge when it is your time to cross over. Until then, prayers and vibes for comfort and healing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saraharizona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sterling, Virginia (Far Western D.C. suburbs)

We lost him this past Sunday - he was 15 years old and insulin-dependent.  He was a BIG Maine Coon, but with bright blue eyes, and we think he was the sweetest cat in the whole wide world.  Things got bad for him about a week ago; his behavior had changed; he was sleeping in weird places and was subdued.  The vet found that he had a heart murmur and, worse, bleeding in his belly from a source they could not identify without surgery. Given his age and his obvious distress, we didn't do it.  Instead, on Sunday, we put him down.  I held him in my lap while the medications were administered.  I'll never forget the sight of his beautiful head sinking down on my knee as she gave the first shot.  Then, the Pentobarbital.  As sad as we are, we know we did the right thing for him in his time of need.  But it hurts so bad.
   I apologize for the delay in acknowledging all of your expressions of sympathy and positive comments.  I must admit I kind of disconnected for several weeks after we put Zampy down.  Now, I'm trying think only of the beautiful 15 years we had with him (a gift), rather than those last few awful days.  My heart still aches, though.  I guess it always will.  But we have our little  Rosie (a rescued feral, Flame Tortie with major Tortitude!) to look after and love, and are thinking of, down the road, getting a companion for her, while also helping another cat that needs someone to love them.  Again, thanks all for your sympathy.

Sarah Arizona