Our Sweet Boy Passed away from SCC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are lovely and so kind for taking in an abandoned cat with cancer and giving him love and comfort for rest of his life.
Mittens had little saliva around his mouth which I noticed two days before his Friday appointment, but he had no drool dripping down. He only started drooling on that Friday after coming back from his vet appointment. And only drooled while eating. His cancer became extremely aggressive in just in two days because even the vet said he will start feeling better from steroid and antibiotic shot and the oral antibiotic drops zydaclin, he send us home with. But it worked only until Monday morning. His tongue worked fine in the early morning and he ate some pate food. After a few hours he could not any more. He was trying so hard but couldn’t pick up the food.
I just didn’t want him to suffer anymore. I made the hardest decision to have him euthanized that same day , Monday at 4:30pm. We hugged him and spent all day with him. I just feel so bad, I was so prepared to take care of him day and night and I never got the chance to spoil him.
Yesterday, I took my new adopted cat, Brownie, to a new Vet and told her about Mittens. She said Mittens should have been prescribed antibiotics for his ears. She was sorry the previous Vet should have been extra cautious since Mittens was 11 years old. All older cats are checked for Oral SCC at their office if they have swollen gums and brown buildup in their ears, which is a sign of an infection, she said to me. This made me feel more horrible because Mittens did not get the proper exam for his ears or his mouth. All I did was cry when I came home. My boy counted on me and I left his life in a negligent vets hands who runs her practice without talking to the pet’s parent. He waited 2 1/2 hours to be seen and was sent home to come back for not wanting to come out of the carrier. I should have never gone back. I went back the following Monday to have his bloodwork done under anesthesia and dec to get his teeth cleaned also. When I went ot pick him up all they said was he was a nasty cat. He was just tired of waiting all day in a carrier, 18 hours without food or water. He was probably scared since he was already not feeling good. Mittens was the love of our life. My sons and I are heartbroken. He was so sweet and gentle to everyone in the family and all guests who came to the house. Everyone who met him, loved him. His fur was soft as a bunny.
I am so sorry for the rant about Mittens’ vet but looking back how that office treated Mittens, I blame myself for not protecting my helpless cat.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All I wanted was a correct diagnosis so I could have kept Mittens comfortable and given him a good quality of life. I know there is no cure for this awful cancer. I wish I had the sense to take Mittens for a second opinion. Mittens was so good at hiding symptoms, only symptoms I noticed was he was drinking more water six weeks after his vet check up, but he was also wanting more kibble which makes cats drink more. Also he wasn’t having more pee like cats with kidney disease have. His blood test showed his kidneys were fine. I just know now the vet never looked under his tongue. What tears me apart is Mittens was so helpless and he spent all day at this vet‘s office, came back with no treatment plan from this vet, and lived with pain for 8 months in discomfort and pain while giving us head buds and cuddles. And I was just clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the loving memory of my most beloved cat, Mittens, I came to the ”crossing the bridge” to help me through the pain and hear loving words from other cat parents. My intention was never to make this about vet complaints. All I know is losing a precious family member changes your life in so many ways. Although I will always feel regrets for not doing enough for my innocent beautiful boy, my intentions were always, to keep him feeling love and comfort, until the end. He passed away purring with his little face touching mine, that memory will always be close in my heart.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my intentions were always, to keep him feeling love and comfort, until the end. He passed away purring with his little face touching mine, that memory will always be close in my heart.
And this is what really matters.
I'm so glad you'll have this lovely and sweet memory in your heart forever. It will help you get over the pain quicker.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am late, sorry.

My heart aches for you. I am very sorry for your loss. For everyone else who has lost beloved companions, the grief is one of the hardest to process. If you ever need someone to chat with, anyone of us are just here for you.

Hang in there.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am late, sorry.

My heart aches for you. I am very sorry for your loss. For everyone else who has lost beloved companions, the grief is one of the hardest to process. If you ever need someone to chat with, anyone of us are just here for you.

Hang in there.
Thank you for your much needed love and support :redheartpump:

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this too. 😔 I want to act like a toddler jump up and down and scream "it's not fair!" for both of us. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers, and precious thoughts of you beautiful fur baby.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s been six months since the passing of my beloved cat, Mittens. I still don’t see an end to my grief of losing him. His final hours are so clear in my mind. I remember his last week. It was a Monday and I had no idea it would be his last day. He stopped eating that afternoon, but he was still cuddling and wanting to looking out the window. I had him euthanized at 5pm at the Vet’s office.

I still feel terrible, not knowing about his oral cancer until two days before he passed. How I wish, I had more time to say goodbye.

I miss him desperately. Our house feels empty without Mittens.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending you hugs. I think when it's a sudden loss like that, it makes it so much harder to accept and process. I will never forget when we lost Sonny back in 2017. We had absolutely no idea he had stomach cancer. Within a day it went from him being a crazy orange tabby, to rushing him to the ER vet hospital. There was nothing we could do, surgery would have been a big gamble with 15% possibility of working and a lifetime feeding tube of it did. We reeled from his loss for almost a year.
I know you've heard this many times over, but cats are masters of hiding illness. You did the best you could for Mittens, he'll always live on in your heart. ❤❤❤

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sending you hugs. I think when it's a sudden loss like that, it makes it so much harder to accept and process. I will never forget when we lost Sonny back in 2017. We had absolutely no idea he had stomach cancer. Within a day it went from him being a crazy orange tabby, to rushing him to the ER vet hospital. There was nothing we could do, surgery would have been a big gamble with 15% possibility of working and a lifetime feeding tube of it did. We reeled from his loss for almost a year.
I know you've heard this many times over, but cats are masters of hiding illness. You did the best you could for Mittens, he'll always live on in your heart. ❤❤❤
Thank you for your much needed support. It’s hard waking up and not seeing Mittens. He was always so excited to wake me in the mornings, even on his last day. I miss his routine. He would open the kitchen cabinets and bang them, when he wanted food. He was so smart.
I‘m sorry for your loss of Sonny in 2017. and your recent losses, your two beautiful boys, Nico and Casper. Sending you love.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your pain and grief is still raw, it's been only 6 months ago, and I know how it hurts.
You did the best for him, we're all sure of that, Mittens is, you should be too.
Take care.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
marshmallow2013 marshmallow2013 ouch, so sad to read! Mittens was the splitting image of one of my kitties, right down to his loving gaze and the way he sticks his feet out in front, one a bit ahead of the other. And commands you to pet him and you do.

Sad to hear Mittens is gone, but glad to hear you both got your love’s worth from each other while you could.

And, SUPER GLAD to hear you have another kitty. He or she will love you, and there’s so many that need love.

If you need to cry more, we’re here.

Last edited:

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
marshmallow2013 marshmallow2013 ouch, so sad to read! Mittens was the splitting image of one of my kitties, right down to his loving gaze and the way he sticks his feet out in front, one a bit ahead of the other. And commands you to pet him and you do.

Sad to hear Mittens is gone, but glad to hear you both got your love’s worth from each other while you could.

And, SUPER GLAD to hear you have another kitty. He or she will love you, and there’s so many that need love.

If you need to cry more, we’re here.
Thank you for your support and kindness. Sudden loss is the worst.

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s been six months since the passing of my beloved cat, Mittens. I still don’t see an end to my grief of losing him. His final hours are so clear in my mind. I remember his last week. It was a Monday and I had no idea it would be his last day. He stopped eating that afternoon, but he was still cuddling and wanting to looking out the window. I had him euthanized at 5pm at the Vet’s office.

I still feel terrible, not knowing about his oral cancer until two days before he passed. How I wish, I had more time to say goodbye.

I miss him desperately. Our house feels empty without Mittens.
I’m so sorry about your beautiful Mittens. He was such a handsome boy.

I’m navigating a similar path to you at the moment. My boy smeagol had to be put to rest on the 8th of Feb this year. He was diagnosed with an aggressive intestinal tumour in October 6th 2022. He was my heart and soul.

I too couldn’t believe that he was terminal at diagnoses, but having read so much on this site, it doesn’t seem to be a rarity. It does seem that either cats hide things incredibly well or that they just get sick incredibly quickly.

It is now happening for a second time with my beautiful girl Precious. She has a tumour near her windpipe, we don’t know what kind because it’s too risky to biopsy. But it is growing and can’t be removed because of its location.

Having time to say goodbye is both a blessing and a curse. I cherish every single day that I have and had with my babies, but watching them slowly fade away is torture. The mental gymnastics I’ve gone through in the last 7 months is horrific. Because you question every single day if you will know when the time is right to let them go. I can’t remember the last time I slept a full night. I thought I was ready to say goodbye to my boy, that after 4 months of knowing he had to leave, that I would be ready. But there wasn’t a thing on this earth that could’ve prepared me for the emptiness in the house. It is consuming. I seriously considered moving in the early days after he passed. I guess what I’m trying to say is rest your mind, you’d still be feeling everything you feel now even if you had more time. You’d just be asking different questions of yourself instead.

I’m not yet at a point where it has gotten any easier and I’m still going through it with my girl, knowing her loss will come sooner rather than later, but knowing it will one day get better is sometimes enough to keep me putting one foot in front of the other. Know that you aren’t alone in feeling the way that you do. I came to this site for advice about a new kitten but I’ve stuck around because it helps me knowing that I’m not crazy cat lady, that my feelings of loss and grief are valid and there are all these people here that understand that. And I have really needed that because honestly there have been times recently when I have questioned if I am actually losing my mind.

Your boy was lucky to have you and you equally lucky to have him and the fact that you still feel the way you do is testament to the depth of that love. And you are by no means alone in still feeling the grief that you do at this stage.

These cats, they embroider themselves into the very fabric of our lives and being. Their presence so intrinsically linked to every small detail of our day to day lives, like a door opening a specific way, the distinctive sound of them walking across the floor announcing their presence before you lay eyes on them. Is it any wonder that they leave a gaping hole behind them. But then they wouldn’t have it any other way. They are the Centre of the universe afterall:happycat:

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry about your beautiful Mittens. He was such a handsome boy.

I’m navigating a similar path to you at the moment. My boy smeagol had to be put to rest on the 8th of Feb this year. He was diagnosed with an aggressive intestinal tumour in October 6th 2022. He was my heart and soul.

I too couldn’t believe that he was terminal at diagnoses, but having read so much on this site, it doesn’t seem to be a rarity. It does seem that either cats hide things incredibly well or that they just get sick incredibly quickly.

It is now happening for a second time with my beautiful girl Precious. She has a tumour near her windpipe, we don’t know what kind because it’s too risky to biopsy. But it is growing and can’t be removed because of its location.

Having time to say goodbye is both a blessing and a curse. I cherish every single day that I have and had with my babies, but watching them slowly fade away is torture. The mental gymnastics I’ve gone through in the last 7 months is horrific. Because you question every single day if you will know when the time is right to let them go. I can’t remember the last time I slept a full night. I thought I was ready to say goodbye to my boy, that after 4 months of knowing he had to leave, that I would be ready. But there wasn’t a thing on this earth that could’ve prepared me for the emptiness in the house. It is consuming. I seriously considered moving in the early days after he passed. I guess what I’m trying to say is rest your mind, you’d still be feeling everything you feel now even if you had more time. You’d just be asking different questions of yourself instead.

I’m not yet at a point where it has gotten any easier and I’m still going through it with my girl, knowing her loss will come sooner rather than later, but knowing it will one day get better is sometimes enough to keep me putting one foot in front of the other. Know that you aren’t alone in feeling the way that you do. I came to this site for advice about a new kitten but I’ve stuck around because it helps me knowing that I’m not crazy cat lady, that my feelings of loss and grief are valid and there are all these people here that understand that. And I have really needed that because honestly there have been times recently when I have questioned if I am actually losing my mind.

Your boy was lucky to have you and you equally lucky to have him and the fact that you still feel the way you do is testament to the depth of that love. And you are by no means alone in still feeling the grief that you do at this stage.

These cats, they embroider themselves into the very fabric of our lives and being. Their presence so intrinsically linked to every small detail of our day to day lives, like a door opening a specific way, the distinctive sound of them walking across the floor announcing their presence before you lay eyes on them. Is it any wonder that they leave a gaping hole behind them. But then they wouldn’t have it any other way. They are the Centre of the universe afterall:happycat:
Thank you so much for caring. My deepest condolences for your soul kitty Smeagol. May he rest in peace. He was a beautiful boy. My heart aches for what you are going through with your baby girl, Precious. I send you hugs and prayers. :hugs: