Our Sweet Boy Passed away from SCC

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mittens was such a gorgeous Fluff-tail. Maine Coons, including mixes, are a unique breed, the Border Collies of the cat world. I miss our MC, JC, terribly - he was the quintessential family cat and a real country-boy. I have plenty of rescues but JC was one-of-kind, just as I am sure that Mittens was. As for tumors, sometimes they just show up randomly and grow fast. You chose to spare Mittens what would have been a lingering misery. You blessed him with a wonderful, full life and you gave him a final gift - a humane, dignified passing. Godspeed and tailwind west, Mittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
JC must have been adorable ❤ and thank you for your kind message. We had him for almost 12 years. He was around 6 months old when we found him on a trail in the Smoky Mountains. He was so smart and gentle. He woke us up every 3 hours for kisses and a snack at night. We loved him dearly. Photo taken on his last night with us.

Attachments

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to have Mittens euthanized on Oct.31st ‘22 Halloween. Although I adopted a lovely cat on Dec 9th. I cry for hours every single day for Mittens. His oral cancer under his tongue was such a shock to me. I have so much guilt for not paying attention to him when he was becoming pickier with his food because he had always been a finick cat. I regret putting so much trust in a Vet check and dental that he went to 8 months before his death. I promised myself that I will spoil him when his time comes. He had just turned 12 in June ’22. I thought he would live to be atleast 15. Squamous Cell Carcinoma is so sudden, I never even heard of oral cancer under the tongue. Bad breath on Tuesday, diagnosed on Friday and pts on Monday. I had Mittens for 11 years and 10 months. He was my universe. He followed me everywhere. I work from home, he was always by my side. Today was my 56th birthday and all I did was cry secret, for my sweet baby boy. My husband doesn’t understand how devastated I feel.
This photo taken 2 hours before he was put to sleep. He loved his candycane kickstick. We buried him with his favorite toy.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are still very early in the grieving process, it takes a long time to dull the sharp edges of grief. He was obviously meant to be in your life, and he is at peace because of the love in his heart. It hurts so much when they leave us, but think of the much greater loss in your life if you never would have meant him at all. He gave you so much, he really taught you what love is about. so go forward into the future, using his legacy to add even more love to his that rests in your soul. That new cat will help to distract you from your grief, use the love you receive back to soothe your pain. Live your life as you would have wanted Mittens to go on if you were the first to go, not in grief and sadness, but finding love again and being happy in the future.
This pain is not something that ever goes away, but it is something you learn to manage in time. You never get over it, but you do learn ways to get through it. It is different for everyone. because the love you hold for that sweet boy is as unique as a snowflake, NOONE loves him as you do, so cannot possible feel your same grief and loss. It takes at least two years to learn a new life's order without him in it, but in that time you will also realize he will never truly leave you because he lives on through you. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers.......please take care and hold on to the love that new little one is trying to heal you with. Be kind to yourself, you are learning something new.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob is right - you are still early in your grieving period. If you were in ancient Egypt, your family could have shaved their eyebrows and your whole community would have respected your grief and you would have been given time off from work. Egyptians, according to Herodotus, considered all animals, especially pets - and cats were their most popular pet - were gifts from the gods and should be appreciated and cared for as such.
As those of us honored to have known one, Maine Coons are truly unique and those large MC paws leave behind MC pawprints that are a "steep hike" to fill.
And it's okay to cry about losing your boy - he was your "soul kitty", the guardian of your heart & dreams.
"Time is a great river, it takes you away from me. Gone is safety's shore, my heart is sore from grief" :alright:
Thank you for keeping us updated. Our TCS community is a safe place to share our losses. :grouphug::hearthrob::grouphug2::petcat:

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are still very early in the grieving process, it takes a long time to dull the sharp edges of grief. He was obviously meant to be in your life, and he is at peace because of the love in his heart. It hurts so much when they leave us, but think of the much greater loss in your life if you never would have meant him at all. He gave you so much, he really taught you what love is about. so go forward into the future, using his legacy to add even more love to his that rests in your soul. That new cat will help to distract you from your grief, use the love you receive back to soothe your pain. Live your life as you would have wanted Mittens to go on if you were the first to go, not in grief and sadness, but finding love again and being happy in the future.
This pain is not something that ever goes away, but it is something you learn to manage in time. You never get over it, but you do learn ways to get through it. It is different for everyone. because the love you hold for that sweet boy is as unique as a snowflake, NOONE loves him as you do, so cannot possible feel your same grief and loss. It takes at least two years to learn a new life's order without him in it, but in that time you will also realize he will never truly leave you because he lives on through you. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers.......please take care and hold on to the love that new little one is trying to heal you with. Be kind to yourself, you are learning something new.
Thank you di and bob, I can use all the support right now. At the time I made the appointment to have him put to sleep, my only focus was to relieve his pain. He was unable to use his tongue to pick up the baby food, while I was holding his bowl closer to his mouth. I didn’t want him to go hungry for he loved to eat. I realize now how Mittens left such complete emptiness in my life. I’m so grateful for your loving message. ❤

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
marshmallow2013 marshmallow2013 , I'm so sorry for your Mittens, it was all so sudden and quick and you didn't even have the time to adapt to the idea, though no time is ever enough to adapt.
I had more than 5 months to get used to the idea that I was going to lose my sweet Lola, but they weren't enough.

Oral SCC is beast, it's something that comes out of nowhere, and hits badly and quickly, our sweet purry friends have to suffer so much.
Mittens has surely been welcomed by all other Oral SCC cats like my Lola and Simon who went to the Bridge a few months before her. He won't be alone.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
marshmallow2013 marshmallow2013 , I'm so sorry for your Mittens, it was all so sudden and quick and you didn't even have the time to adapt to the idea, though no time is ever enough to adapt.
I had more than 5 months to get used to the idea that I was going to lose my sweet Lola, but they weren't enough.

Oral SCC is beast, it's something that comes out of nowhere, and hits badly and quickly, our sweet purry friends have to suffer so much.
Mittens has surely been welcomed by all other Oral SCC cats like my Lola and Simon who went to the Bridge a few months before her. He won't be alone.
Thank you Antonio65, I know you miss Lola so much. The unconditional love from our fur babies, until the very end of their life with such a terrible painful cancer is heartbreaking. I would have done anything to keep Mittens alive but it was end stage. I will always feel regrets for not taking him for becoming a pickier eater few months before.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will always feel regrets for not taking him for becoming a pickier eater few months before.
Don't beat yourself up, very likely you couldn't have done more.

I think I never heard of any SCC cat which survived this disease.

I took my Lola in very early, I believe, and though we acted promptly, it was too late.
They told me that something could have been done had I taken her in three months earlier, when absolutely nothing could lead us to that diagnosis.
Lola had a CT scan done in that early stage, but the vets didn't see the tiny mass under her tongue, it was around 6 mm (a quarter of an inch) large. So I don't regret what I did for her, because I did just everything, but I will hate, and never forgive, those vets that overlooked it.

So do not beat yourself up, you did your best and nobody will be able to say otherwise.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob is right - you are still early in your grieving period. If you were in ancient Egypt, your family could have shaved their eyebrows and your whole community would have respected your grief and you would have been given time off from work. Egyptians, according to Herodotus, considered all animals, especially pets - and cats were their most popular pet - were gifts from the gods and should be appreciated and cared for as such.
As those of us honored to have known one, Maine Coons are truly unique and those large MC paws leave behind MC pawprints that are a "steep hike" to fill.
And it's okay to cry about losing your boy - he was your "soul kitty", the guardian of your heart & dreams.
"Time is a great river, it takes you away from me. Gone is safety's shore, my heart is sore from grief" :alright:
Thank you for keeping us updated. Our TCS community is a safe place to share our losses. :grouphug::hearthrob::grouphug2::petcat:
Dear catsknowme, I loved your message. It made me cry so much. Maine Coons are very special. I have always had cats since I was a child. My family all adored cats. But never had a Maine Coon until Mittens came into our lives. Always waited at the door for us. I didn’t like leaving him alone even for a few hours. He never went into to hiding until the day he was euthanized. Even that day he couldn’t stay away from us for more than a couple hours at a time, He just loved being hugged and kissed. My two sons, 18 and 22 cried so much and I hugged him when he was given his sedative. We kept telling him what a good boy he is and how much we loved him. My sons were 6 and 10 when we found him on a trail in the Smokies. It has been very hard on all of us. It is so permanent.
Here is one his early photos when he was little over 1 yrs old.

Attachments

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't beat yourself up, very likely you couldn't have done more.

I think I never heard of any SCC cat which survived this disease.

I took my Lola in very early, I believe, and though we acted promptly, it was too late.
They told me that something could have been done had I taken her in three months earlier, when absolutely nothing could lead us to that diagnosis.
Lola had a CT scan done in that early stage, but the vets didn't see the tiny mass under her tongue, it was around 6 mm (a quarter of an inch) large. So I don't regret what I did for her, because I did just everything, but I will hate, and never forgive, those vets that overlooked it.

So do not beat yourself up, you did your best and nobody will be able to say otherwise.
You are correct about not forgiving an vet about finding cancer in the early stage when his only symptom was swollen gums. I took Mittens in February for a dental check up and cleaning. This vet, who has been practicing for over 25 years, didn’t look under his tongue either. Even though the vets push dental exams so they can find oral cancer or other dental diseases in cats early. Especially when cats are so good at hiding symptoms until it is too late. His first symptom was a little drool and really bad breath. I found a new vet, first thing he did was open his mouth and look under his tongue and said, “tumors“. I told him about his dental cleaning just a few months ago and he said that lot of vets forget to check under the tongue or think swollen gums is gum disease even though SCC mimics gingivitis. The steroid shot and antibiotics only gave our boy the weekend to spend with us. I feel bad every day that Mittens suffered for all those months before being euthanized.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wake up every morning missing my precious boy every morning and sit alone and cry and cry. He woke me up every morning for 11 years and 10 months. My heart is shattered. I feel after reading all the posts of people with cats that had oral squamous cell carcinoma at least noticed symptoms long before I did. I must be the most clueless cat mom. My biggest regret which I will never get over is that I was not home the Tuesday of Oct 25th, as I had to take my older son to the university early and wait for him for 7 hours. Mittens was with my younger son and was fine. That Tuesday evening, I went to kiss Mittens when he was waking up from a nap in my bed. I smelled his breath and it was bad. I was concerned but I was so unaware that it was an infection or he could be in pain, because he was acting fine and eating his pate food. No drooling either. I did not think once he was having any difficulty eating, I let nex day (Wednesday) go by because he was acting normal. I made an appointment on Thursday morning for earliest Appt at a new vet clinic for Nov 11. I considered taking him to an ER Vet that Wednesda, but they wanted to give him anesthesia to look inside his mouth. I did not want him to be under anesthesi, so I decided to wait and see since Mittens was still acting normal and eating okay and hanging out with me and cuddling as usual with our family. But by Friday Oct 28 around noon he started looking uninterested in food. I became frant and started calling all vets in the area that would look in his mouth without anesthesia. I found one and took him in that same Friday Oct 28 at 4:30pm.
I can never ever forgive myself for his last week of my baby’s life of how he suffered because of my dumb ignorance. Why I didn’t take him in the next day, Wednesday morning. How could I not know it was an infection in his mouth. I hate myself for not thinking it was an urgent situation. I always promised myself I would never let my beautiful baby go through any stress or pain. I was always worried about his kidneys because he had just turned 12. This last week, of my bad decisions, kills me every single day. I can never forgive myself. My baby suffered with an oral infection. He was helpless and depended on me. I loved him so much.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wake up every morning missing my precious boy every morning and sit alone and cry and cry. He woke me up every morning for 11 years and 10 months. My heart is shattered. I feel after reading all the posts of people with cats that had oral squamous cell carcinoma at least noticed symptoms long before I did. I must be the most clueless cat mom. My biggest regret which I will never get over is that I was not home the Tuesday of Oct 25th, as I had to take my older son to the university early and wait for him for 7 hours. Mittens was with my younger son and was fine. That Tuesday evening, I went to kiss Mittens when he was waking up from a nap in my bed. I smelled his breath and it was bad. I was concerned but I was so unaware that it was an infection or he could be in pain, because he was acting fine and eating his pate food. No drooling either. I did not think once he was having any difficulty eating, I let nex day (Wednesday) go by because he was acting normal. I made an appointment on Thursday morning for earliest Appt at a new vet clinic for Nov 11. I considered taking him to an ER Vet that Wednesda, but they wanted to give him anesthesia to look inside his mouth. I did not want him to be under anesthesi, so I decided to wait and see since Mittens was still acting normal and eating okay and hanging out with me and cuddling as usual with our family. But by Friday Oct 28 around noon he started looking uninterested in food. I became frant and started calling all vets in the area that would look in his mouth without anesthesia. I found one and took him in that same Friday Oct 28 at 4:30pm.
I can never ever forgive myself for his last week of my baby’s life of how he suffered because of my dumb ignorance. Why I didn’t take him in the next day, Wednesday morning. How could I not know it was an infection in his mouth. I hate myself for not thinking it was an urgent situation. I always promised myself I would never let my beautiful baby go through any stress or pain. I was always worried about his kidneys because he had just turned 12. This last week, of my bad decisions, kills me every single day. I can never forgive myself. My baby suffered with an oral infection. He was helpless and depended on me. I loved him so much.
Cats hide their pain better than any person I've ever met, and I really wish they wouldn't so we could help them earlier. You noticed something was wrong before he ever gave you any indication that he hurt. :hugs: I lost two cats within 7 months of one another, both of cancer. Both were old, and both were slowing down and slowly losing a bit of weight but they were eating and acting normal. Typical old cat stuff, I thought. The first cat developed trouble breathing on a Sunday morning, and one ER visit later the X-rays showed metastatic lung cancer and I had to let him go right then and there. The other was a cat who liked to hide away all his life, and one day he hid and wouldn't come out. I noticed a large fluid filled sack around his chin when I picked him up, and one more ER visit later the vet discovered a tumor pressing against his throat that was cutting off his lymph system. I had to let him go right then and there.
Then, my dog was diagnosed with cancer and I fought like hell to keep him going, but he, too, developed trouble breathing and began fainting. He refused food and could no longer drink. The vet came to the house to let him go. It absolutely kills us inside. You made no bad decisions IMO. You realized something wasn't right, and when you noticed he wasn't acting himself you got him in to be seen that very day. Mittens was too good of a boy to have to suffer. I am so sorry for your loss. People here really do understand, and care. ❤ 🕊 🌈 :butterfly:

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats hide their pain better than any person I've ever met, and I really wish they wouldn't so we could help them earlier. You noticed something was wrong before he ever gave you any indication that he hurt. :hugs: I lost two cats within 7 months of one another, both of cancer. Both were old, and both were slowing down and slowly losing a bit of weight but they were eating and acting normal. Typical old cat stuff, I thought. The first cat developed trouble breathing on a Sunday morning, and one ER visit later the X-rays showed metastatic lung cancer and I had to let him go right then and there. The other was a cat who liked to hide away all his life, and one day he hid and wouldn't come out. I noticed a large fluid filled sack around his chin when I picked him up, and one more ER visit later the vet discovered a tumor pressing against his throat that was cutting off his lymph system. I had to let him go right then and there.
Then, my dog was diagnosed with cancer and I fought like hell to keep him going, but he, too, developed trouble breathing and began fainting. He refused food and could no longer drink. The vet came to the house to let him go. It absolutely kills us inside. You made no bad decisions IMO. You realized something wasn't right, and when you noticed he wasn't acting himself you got him in to be seen that very day. Mittens was too good of a boy to have to suffer. I am so sorry for your loss. People here really do understand, and care. ❤ 🕊 🌈 :butterfly:
I am deeply sorry for your losses. I can not imagine losing your two cats with in 7 month, both from cancer. And your beloved dog as well. I thank you for your kind and loving words which I need right now.
It’s been so difficult for me to get through each day.

Last edited by a moderator:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ending a life is a horrible decision to have to make. No matter what you do, you will second guess yourself, either by thinking you waited too long or did it too soon. There is no way to be comfortable with a decision like that. Sometimes the self-hate that goes with it is because it is so hard to understand that this bad stuff happens to good little cats for no reason at all and that we really had no control over what happens. We can choose to end their suffering, or we can choose not to. Neither of those choices are good ones to have to make. The feeling of helplessness can lead to anger and rage because those are far more comfortable emotions to feel than to feel the pain and raw grief over losing one so important to us. So, all that anger has to go somewhere. Be it towards the vet, the neighbor, or in some cases ourselves.

You are not alone in your suffering. It is so hard. You don't get over it, but you do learn to exist and finally live again with the grief.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These feelings are normal, and until you learn to compartmentalize them and how to cope (which takes a long time) they will continue for a while. But you WILL learn to cope, some people learn quickly, i took years because of the guilt I carry. I took in a cat someone dumped because of mouth cancer and his uncontrollable drooling. I can't even imagine what that poor baby went through being abandoned.
Hindsight is wonderful, if we could all see into the future and know what to do, wouldn't that be perfect. But this is a horrible imperfect world, and no matter how much we want it the past can never be changed. I don't know how you ever would have known to get him in right away, and I truly don't believe a little while would have made any difference. His symptoms could have been so many things, a broken tooth, a mouth injury, an infection, the list goes on. But he didn't have any of those, he had cancer. His cancer must have been incredibly aggressive. Usually it progresses to drooling and then not eating.
Please don't beat yourself up over this. YOU HAD NOWAY OF KNOWING! The symptoms you describe don't point to suffering to me, eh wasn't howling and digging at his mouth, he, like most cats was enduring and not showing any pain. You did the best you could with what you had. in order to carry guilt you must have intent, and your only intent was to help and love him.
time is the only thing that helps with a broken heart and the guilt that is always present. It dulls the sharp edges and allows your mind to process what happened and to figure out strategies to help cope. You will never get over something like this, you get through it.
I know your sweet boy is at peace because he will always have your love. His love will always reside in you too. Use it to help you through the pain and loneliness, he will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers......

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These feelings are normal, and until you learn to compartmentalize them and how to cope (which takes a long time) they will continue for a while. But you WILL learn to cope, some people learn quickly, i took years because of the guilt I carry. I took in a cat someone dumped because of mouth cancer and his uncontrollable drooling. I can't even imagine what that poor baby went through being abandoned.
Hindsight is wonderful, if we could all see into the future and know what to do, wouldn't that be perfect. But this is a horrible imperfect world, and no matter how much we want it the past can never be changed. I don't know how you ever would have known to get him in right away, and I truly don't believe a little while would have made any difference. His symptoms could have been so many things, a broken tooth, a mouth injury, an infection, the list goes on. But he didn't have any of those, he had cancer. His cancer must have been incredibly aggressive. Usually it progresses to drooling and then not eating.
Please don't beat yourself up over this. YOU HAD NOWAY OF KNOWING! The symptoms you describe don't point to suffering to me, eh wasn't howling and digging at his mouth, he, like most cats was enduring and not showing any pain. You did the best you could with what you had. in order to carry guilt you must have intent, and your only intent was to help and love him.
time is the only thing that helps with a broken heart and the guilt that is always present. It dulls the sharp edges and allows your mind to process what happened and to figure out strategies to help cope. You will never get over something like this, you get through it.
I know your sweet boy is at peace because he will always have your love. His love will always reside in you too. Use it to help you through the pain and loneliness, he will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers......
You are lovely and so kind for taking in an abandoned cat with cancer and giving him love and comfort for rest of his life.
Mittens had little saliva around his mouth which I noticed two days before his Friday appointment, but he had no drool dripping down. He only started drooling on that Friday after coming back from his vet appointment. And only drooled while eating. His cancer became extremely aggressive in just in two days because even the vet said he will start feeling better from steroid and antibiotic shot and the oral antibiotic drops zydaclin, he send us home with. But it worked only until Monday morning. His tongue worked fine in the early morning and he ate some pate food. After a few hours he could not any more. He was trying so hard but couldn’t pick up the food.
I just didn’t want him to suffer anymore. I made the hardest decision to have him euthanized that same day , Monday at 4:30pm. We hugged him and spent all day with him. I just feel so bad, I was so prepared to take care of him day and night and I never got the chance to spoil him.
Yesterday, I took my new adopted cat, Brownie, to a new Vet and told her about Mittens. She said Mittens should have been prescribed antibiotics for his ears. She was sorry the previous Vet should have been extra cautious since Mittens was 11 years old. All older cats are checked for Oral SCC at their office if they have swollen gums and brown buildup in their ears, which is a sign of an infection, she said to me. This made me feel more horrible because Mittens did not get the proper exam for his ears or his mouth. All I did was cry when I came home. My boy counted on me and I left his life in a negligent vets hands who runs her practice without talking to the pet’s parent. He waited 2 1/2 hours to be seen and was sent home to come back for not wanting to come out of the carrier. I should have never gone back. I went back the following Monday to have his bloodwork done under anesthesia and dec to get his teeth cleaned also. When I went ot pick him up all they said was he was a nasty cat. He was just tired of waiting all day in a carrier, 18 hours without food or water. He was probably scared since he was already not feeling good. Mittens was the love of our life. My sons and I are heartbroken. He was so sweet and gentle to everyone in the family and all guests who came to the house. Everyone who met him, loved him. His fur was soft as a bunny.

Last edited: