Our Beautiful Mia Having 3-5 Kittens In 1-2 Weeks !!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok great advice thank you xx found a syringe video minus the miracle nipple, will do this later if survivor of any of the others haven't gained since 11am this morning. Is it ok to use the same syringe for different kittens?

So should I ignore the not long after birth weights and that they all lost 2g and go from there??

And I'll focus on survivor but if any others aren't up at least 3G since 11am I'll try to feed at least 1ml?

How long after a momma feed would you expect to weigh them in and notice they're heavier? Instantly? Or within an hour ? Or how long? Thank you!! Xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just wash the nipple and syringe between kittens and feedings.

Keep it simple. Weigh the kittens once a day at about the same time each day.

If they are not gaining, then supplement.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey so good news from last night forgot to finish the post!

Monday 19th 1.40am

ginger 1 - 117g
Ginger 2 white neck - 98g
Black and white 1 - 104g
Black and white 2 no5 more white - 91g

They've ALL gained

Really hoping for a good night xx I'll post more weights in the morning xx they were ALL latched beautifully earlier; then mia got up to eat; just going to check they all latch again after she's eaten and then will go to bed.

We really think our constantly putting survivor on nipples earlier has helped, she was strong anyway even though slightly smaller; she seems less easily knocked off nipples and even pushed some of her siblings off for a bit!! We are proud of her so far.

I did try supplementing her and the smaller orange one. Neither were liking it much at all; managed 0.15 ml from a 1ml syringes for Survivor and small orange just kept turning his head away. They're all feeding now so will check again regularly and weigh them in a few hours xx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Morning everyone!

Yay!! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Monday 19th 9.40am

ginger 1 - 123g
Ginger 2 white neck - 108g
Black and white 1 - 109g
Black and white 2 no5 more white - 93g

Slowly but surely!! Let's hope it keeps going in this direction!! Big ginger is definitely filling his boots!!

Mia is so sweet with them! She will go for a break but soon comes in if she hears their little squeaks! I still can't get over how tiny and quiet they are! Even when they cry it's a totally different sound to what I expected!! So sweet! They don't mind my handling them now just to direct them to nipples! I try to let them figure it out for themselves but sometimes help.

Mia is amazing and totally trusts us both with them. She still seems to appreciate the "bowl brought directly to mouth" while nursing service that we provide when we can!! :hearthrob::redheartpump::sunshine::worship:

So fingers crossed things keep moving positively like this. Xxx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Black and white #2 really needs to gain more, or be supplemented whether it likes it or not.

The others seem to be managing nicely for now.

:vibes:They all gain enough today, especially the runt!

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wrote loads and lost it how annoying! So short version:

Weights taken early!

Monday 19th 6.35pm

ginger 1 - 124g
Ginger 2 white neck - 106g
Black and white 1 - 111g
Black and white 2 no5 more white - 100g :hyper::hyper:;):hyper:

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh that posted early! 2 gingers had minor toilet issues, mia hadn't seemed to do a good job so we stepped in and I think back on track now xxx so hopefully more gaining later xx

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is such a joy to come here and see that we are getting, FINALLY, some good progress! Little #5 is still a bit behind, but slowly getting there. :woohoo:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So black & white #2 is now 1 gram shy of regaining its birth weight of 101 grams, which was 3 days ago on Friday.

I hope this kitten begins to gain 6-10 grams minimum per day, as ideally, a kitten should double its birth weight by the end of its first week.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 thank you - yes it's brilliant we are feeling so much better :-) Thank you for checking in on our little cat family and taking the time to comment :-) You'll love their tails when I get more photos! I took one a little while ago maybe yesterday but then didn't post it as I was worried when they didn't put on too much weight. It's on my phone so will try to dig it out later xx

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 it's totally my fault, sorry I have confused anyone reading this - I got the 2 coloured pairs both mixed up when I listed the birth weights, i was so happy they were all OK and so sad about losing poor big ginger no4 - I just weighed them to make sure nobody was tiny and then thought (since it was nearly 5am and had been my birthday the day before!) I would figure out the identification system later!! As at the time of night the 2 gingers looked fairly similar as did the 2 black and whites! now, we can clearly tell them apart and their coats are already starting to get tabby and you can see the different patterns in the ginger coats too!

So to clarify, Survivor, no5, the little black and white runt one (I don't like to call her the runt because she was the exact same birth weight as the smaller ginger one that I am now calling Ginger 2) - they were BOTH 92g birth weight.

So Survivor dropped from 92g to 90g to 88 but is NOW up to 100g - hence all my :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: (and I just watched her kitten paw slap her bigger sister off one of the best nipples - a day or so ago she would've just slid off - GO GIRL!!! and then as luckily, we have more good nipples than kittens (and actually we have just discovered she has 2 more towards her head that the ginger boys seem to like (hidden in all her long fur!) so I showed her big bossy sister one of the lower ones and she LOVED it so both are happy now, and suckling away, yay :-)

and I am weighing them way more than I should be lol, well not LOADS more - just maybe 2 or 3 times a day if Mom is taking a break and they are squeaking a bit and she hasn't yet come back in - and I happen to be there - I don't disturb them if they are sleeping - (my partner and I are both self employed so are at home most days, we are making a real effort now to both be here but there is always one of us here) - now that I am seeing them all latch and Survivor is staying on there and suckling stronger I feel I can relax a bit - so will go back to the every 24hours - after later tonight of course - :-)

So by about 5am Saturday morning (won't be up then!) Survivor AND ginger 2 should both weigh around 185g each. Come on little guy and gal!!!! We are all rooting for you xxx you can do it !!!! xxx

I'm at my computer now so I can type much faster than on a phone where I made some other posts. So today, I noticed that big orange boy had a part of a little poop coming out of his rear end, I rubbed him and he peed more than I was expecting - and the little tiniest poop I've ever seen (not that I look too much at poops!) came out. So he then went about his kitteny business.

Then later on Ginger 2 I saw had a bigger poopy lump... I tried to rub him the same and he peed a little bit but couldn't get rid of the poop. Mia had clocked me doing it and she licked him too but not much happened. So an hour or so later I tried again, again nothing, I tried SUPER gently to pick it off with tweezers but it was really hard - this tiny lump of dried poop but it was much bigger than the other ones' poop.

Luckily the vet was still open so I called them and explained and they confirmed what I had thought but great to get them to tell me - I soaked a wet cloth in warm water and eventually I could rub it off. That was totally unexpected - why wasn't Mia doing it herself? I did all this literally 2 feet in front of her - and then when I put the kitten back with a wet bum, Mia started licking it's bum much more attentively - hopefully she will do this more now as clearly she didn't do a very good job there - just glad I could help - as if they get backed up that's not good is it??

How often should I check for this? I was thinking now that every so often I could just rub them to see if they have any toilet things they could release? Like maybe 3/4 times a day?? I'm a little worried Mia isn't doing it enough, but also maybe her seeing the little ginger one she realised?

Anyway just want to help but not be too intrusive xxx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Happy Birthday! :rbheart:

I am so relieved that the tiny baby is doing so well. I was very concerned. Thank you for updating this!

Mom is figuring things out. Now that their bums are clean, she will probably lick more often. I think if you check them 2-3 times a day it would help mom out. If they are clean, then she's been doing her job.

I can't wait to hear their weights at the end of the week! :)

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh that's great Sarthur2 Sarthur2 really glad to hear you say that! Xxx

Was going to weigh them again now but they're all sleeping so I'll do it in the morning as they're all looking feisty when not sleeping and healthy xx

Will update tmrw xxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amazing weight gains yesterday and overnight! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Didn't weigh them before bed as they looked sooooo peaceful sleeping and didn't want to disturb them.

Tuesday 20th 12pm

Big ginger 1 - 136g
Ginger 2 white neck - 120g
Black and white 1 - 121g
Black and white Survivor no5 - 113g

So since yesterday at 9.40am which is just over 24hrs - 26hrs really - survivor has put on 20grams!!!! Go girl!!! :rock:

Brilliant!! All your and our prayers have been heard and she is getting bigger and stronger!!

Will continue to keep a very close eye on them obviously! Sooooo pleased xxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your help and advice Sarthur2 Sarthur2 for everyone on this site not just me! I really hope so. I've been checking their bottoms and there was another little lot of poo on one of the orange ones so I'm just checking them each time I'm there if they're moving around and helping them go to make sure everybody is ok xxx they are ALL gaining well now let's hope it stays that way!! Xxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's momma and babies earlier! We got a desk fan that's much higher up than them but helps to move the air around a bit, Mia seems to appreciate it and it's still 30 degrees in her nest! There's a heated pad outside it but hardly needing to use it! Xx

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~she swoooooooooons~ They are precious!

I'm so sorry I missed your birthday! So here's a belated::bday::dunce::party2::party::party3::gift::woohoo: