Our Beautiful Mia Having 3-5 Kittens In 1-2 Weeks !!

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
They sound at just about the right weight! No worries there.
Mama cat is alright, newborns typically need to feed every 2 hours so as long as she sticks close to that schedule, don't worry
It might be just a few degrees too hot for babies, I suggest the thick towel. Try to keep it around 32 - 35°C

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
You did great! Don't beat yourself up. It's likely to lose a kitten or two out of a litter, and the more mama can produce, the more tragically die.
Even mom cat did her part, but she knew that there wasn't much else she could do
Be proud! You have 4 healthy kittens now, yay!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's mad how fast it happened. She had 3 kittens that looked healthy and were squeaking and scrambling all over the place... Then the orange stillborn one - maybe it was stuck for a little too long coming out??

The 3rd one came out but stayed by her rear end, after a while we thought best try to guide it to a nipple... Was harder than I expected to move it... Then when I tried again the placenta came out of Mia only after I moved the kitten ie moving it then pulled the placenta out... Is this normal??

Wondering if something along those lines happened with no4? We are so upset that well formed, healthy weight kitten maybe could've been saved...
I guided the 3 since my last post to momma and they're all suckling now Just so gutted about no4. We honestly tried so hard to revive it, poor precious sweet little thing. We failed it

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Dewey xxx we are thrilled about the 4 healthy ones just nervous to keep them that way, they're so fragile!
Just gutted about the 4th one. If we hadn't thought she was done the brighter light would've still been on and I could've rubbed it faster or pulled it out maybe if it was stuck... She hardly had any contractions for no4 and no5 and they came out so close together!
I'm just so happy we managed to revive no5. Momma cat didn't bite through ANY umbilical cords we had to break them all ourselves... She nibbled bits of the placentas but didn't eat much of them... She also ignored no5 and we had to bring her to it (only saying it as we don't know if they're male or female yet!) but she did in the end...
From our experience just now I'd say everyone really should try to be there at the birth as cats don't always seem to do what I've read theyre supposed to do! I'm fairly sure we'd have 2 still borns if we hadn't been there to help.
What happens if mom doesn't cut the umbilical cord herself?? Just curious??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! You had a big evening!

The weights on the four babies are good. You really helped mama with the cords and reviving the kitten.

Without assistance, kittens do perish in the wild.

As sad as it is, mama kitties will often ignore kittens who they sense will not make it. Even when revived, these kittens may still struggle and die within a few days. You did what you could to save the orange baby. Try not to blame yourself.

Congratulations on the four healthy babies! How is mama doing today? :)

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks sarthur2, really appreciate your advice, momma is doing great, she's purring, she had them literally by the side of our bed in a box and then now she's on towels with food and water. She's great with us touching her.

We had a horrible moment last night as the no3 ginger one had somehow got all wrapped up in its umbilical cord and was still attached to mom as the placenta was still IN mom... But we didn't realise at first and everyone's advice is to not disturb them too much, let them do their thing... But it was all wrapped around its front legs etc all tangled up... My partner had to free it, and break the cord...

Do you think no3's placenta being stuck still in the birth canal for maybe 15/20 mins until we realised and got it all out, affected no4 for the worse? As the vet saw ALL their hearts beating 2 weeks ago. We are so sad. We tried to suck out liquid with a tiny pipette from its mouth, we rubbed it over and over with a towel and then old toothbrush, my partner did V gentle CPR on it... Kept putting warm things around it fresh from the radiator... Nothing...it was cold right from the start? Looked like it was half in and half out of momma for maybe 5 mins before we realised there was a no4... That can't have helped either? Called the vet earlier and said all this and she said it could've been many things... Absolutely gutted, we just blessed him or her and said a prayer and buried him or her in our garden. Poor little baby.

So momma is great: She just ate LOADS!!! 2 bowls of raw minced beef, most of a can of thrive chicken kitten complete food... Some dry food too! She had them all suckling from her and looked at the food like "that's too far away!" So I brought the bowls right to her and she ate whilst half sat up still with all 4 nursing! I've changed the towels / sheets again and the 4 kittens are all suckling!

Talking peanut - Mia has gorgeous really big eyes!! We've always seen the white parts of the sides of her eyes. What are you thinking? Please let me know if there's anything we should know or do. Right now she seems to be breathing quite fast and purring and has all 4 suckling or their heads are there and maybe they're asleep! They all seem very content...

However just weighed them and not sure if there's an issue with the scales but every one is down exactly 2g from when I first weighed them:

ginger 1 - 106g
Ginger 2 white neck 90g
Black and white 1 - 90g
Black and white 2 no5 more white - 99g

I mixed up the 2 gingers ... It's been about 12/13hrs since the first 3 were born and about 11hrs since no5... We had to hurriedly do this as mom looked like she wanted them back.. We did it right in front of her! Should we worry or give it a full 24hrs first? They seem content ... Please let me know!

How do we know if mom has milk from each nipple? Do the kittens suckle regardless of whether they get milk or not?? We have petag KMR; will give to mom and have syringes if needed for the kittens... I know they should be gaining min 6-10g / day but had hoped for a few grand gain in half a day??

Temp ranges from around 26 -30 degrees C. Is this enough? It's saying 27 now ON the heat pad but she seems to plop down either side of it so kittens aren't on it! Shall I just make her little area smaller? So she has to go on it?? Really don't want these poor babies getting cold. Please let me know.

Thank you SO MUCH for any help and advice xx

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are seeing them all latch, I would let them be for the first day. They are getting colostrum from mom. You should weigh them every 24 hours for accurate weights. Some fluctuation is normal throughout the day, but you will want to see the 6-10g ultimately. They are good weights. Try to let them be.

Seeing the third eyelid is usually not normal and a sign of infection. Are you saying that her eyes are like that all the time?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, how sweet! :redheartpump:

The temperature is fine. I would not make the area smaller.

Kittens sometimes lose a tiny bit the first day. They should begin gaining over the next 24 hours.

Do give mom a dish a day of KMR. She needs the calcium.

If the babies continue to lose, do supplement. I doubt you will need to though. :)

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are seeing them all latch, I would let them be for the first day. They are getting colostrum from mom. You should weigh them every 24 hours for accurate weights. Some fluctuation is normal throughout the day, but you will want to see the 6-10g ultimately. They are good weights. Try to let them be.

Seeing the third eyelid is usually not normal and a sign of infection. Are you saying that her eyes are like that all the time?
Hi talking peanut thank you so much! Thank you for putting my mind at rest. I'll leave them be. It was only as momma had got up in the first time in ages so kittens were left on their own for a minute so I grabbed the opportunity to weigh them!

Yes her eyes are normally like that, just scrolled through lots of photos of her with her eyes shut!! To find this:

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is this ok? Vets have always said she looks very healthy. She is a Maine coon so maybe some of their eyes are like this?? I can mention it to the vet if you think I should??

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, how sweet! :redheartpump:

The temperature is fine. I would not make the area smaller.

Kittens sometimes lose a tiny bit the first day. They should begin gaining over the next 24 hours.

Do give mom a dish a day of KMR. She needs the calcium.

If the babies continue to lose, do supplement. I doubt you will need to though. :)
Thank you SO MUCH for your time sarthur2 - ok that's good to know they might lose a tiny bit in the first day! So we will keep a close eye on them. I bought a variety of sizes of needle less syringes in case and got the petag KMR - looked like it had so many better things in it than the Royal canin Babycat milk! I'll go make Mia a dish of KMR right now.

Temp is now 24.5 not on the heat pad. Is this ok? Mias so sweet and wraps her arms round them maybe to keep them warm! It doesn't feel cold in here and we ordered more heat pads on Amazon prime coming tomorrow so should be all good. Thank you xxx

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maine coons are not different from other cats, just larger. Her third eyelid looks much more visible to me in the recent photos. I would keep an eye on her for now. It could be from exhaustion.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
She's a bit of a messy drinker haha!! The KMR is going down a treat! She LOVES it!! Was nice and warm too for her xxx wow she's finished it!! I'll go make her more!! Xxx

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't give too much kmr per day. One dish should be fine. It can upset her stomach.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maine coons are not different from other cats, just larger. Her third eyelid looks much more visible to me in the recent photos. I would keep an eye on her for now. It could be from exhaustion.
Ok will do talking peanut thank you xx it depends which way her eyes are looking!! You see more or less of it! I'll try to get another dead ahead one ASAP and post it! So what is the problem if they have this third eyelid? An eye infection? Or a general infection? Thank you so much for mentioning it xx