Our Beautiful Mia Having 3-5 Kittens In 1-2 Weeks !!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok will do talking peanut thank you xx it depends which way her eyes are looking!! You see more or less of it! I'll try to get another dead ahead one ASAP and post it! So what is the problem if they have this third eyelid? An eye infection? Or a general infection? Thank you so much for mentioning it xx
It's generally a sign of the cat not feeling well. It could be an infection in the body, or dehydration, or, sure, an eye infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't give too much kmr per day. One dish should be fine. It can upset her stomach.
Oh right ok sorry!
Don't give too much kmr per day. One dish should be fine. It can upset her stomach.
ok thank you! I checked the instructions just now, it said 2 teaspoons per 2.2kg so I did that the first time... 2 teaspoons ... She was 4.5kg last weigh in before kittens... So I guess she could have double that... When I made the second lot I made 3 teaspoons worth so a bit too much... She lapped it up anyway!! Noted for all days after this thank you!!

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to hear they're doing well! They're very cute. :blush::hearthrob:
I think mom cat's eyes are fine. Her lids don't look itrritated and neither do her eyes.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Dewey! Yes she has beautiful big doe eyes! I didn't know about the white part so thank you talking peanut

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's generally a sign of the cat not feeling well. It could be an infection in the body, or dehydration, or, sure, an eye infection.
Talking peanut how do we help Mia not be dehydrated? She's had a load of KMR and lots of thrive kitten complete chicken wet food, she's got a big water bowl... Can we do anything more for her? She's loving the food bowl delivery to right in front of wherever she is. We are checking on her every 20-30 mins or so! Xx she's moved a few times and part laid on a kitten sometimes; we've moved them... She's lovely with letting us move them and guide them to nipples. Still so sad about the one we lost but rooting for the remaining 4 xxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are xx off topic but curious: are you male or female talking peanut? And why the name talking peanut? Thank you so much for your amazing helpful advice xx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can someone please tag the kitten tail lady mamany something... Can't see the @ tag thing on this new website on my phone xxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks sarthur2! Will do just couldn't remember the whole rest of the name.@mamanyt1953 I'll take loads of kitten tail photos for you! These are special Maine coon kitten tails xxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll try to get all 4 tails lined up for you @Mananyt1953 xxxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all

So our 4 beautiful kittens are around 36hrs old now. Here's their weights:

ginger 1 - 110g
Ginger 2 white neck - 95g
Black and white 1 - 102g
Black and white 2 no5 more white - 88g

All gained except no5, 88g - was 92g when born... He was born a couple of hrs after the others. Really worried about him as he was practically a stillborn, partner says he was breathing ever so slightly but this is the one I had to revive with a towel - twice - did it a bit and he started moving and then we were so busy untangling no3 and trying to revive poor still no4 who didn't make it, I rubbed no5 again with a towel and he perked up!

Should we supplement yet or give it another day or so? Thank you! Clare xxx

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all

So our 4 beautiful kittens are around 36hrs old now. Here's their weights:

ginger 1 - 110g
Ginger 2 white neck - 95g
Black and white 1 - 102g
Black and white 2 no5 more white - 88g

All gained except no5, 88g - was 92g when born... He was born a couple of hrs after the others. Really worried about him as he was practically a stillborn, partner says he was breathing ever so slightly but this is the one I had to revive with a towel - twice - did it a bit and he started moving and then we were so busy untangling no3 and trying to revive poor still no4 who didn't make it, I rubbed no5 again with a towel and he perked up!

Should we supplement yet or give it another day or so? Thank you! Clare xxx
i wouldn't wait to supplement. very young kittens can 'go downhill' extremely quickly. are you experienced in supplementing young kittens?

if not, kitten must be warm (not cold), tummy down with body slightly angled so head is up -- like the position kitten would be in when nursing from momma cat, kmr or goat's milk warm but not too hot, use (needleless) syringe or eye dropper, go slowly so as to allow kitten to swallow each drop and to avoid the kitten inhaling the supplement (very dangerous, can be fatal), just one drop at a time. since kitten has his momma cat to nurse from, he most likely will not want to be supplemented, so expect that.

i don't have experience in this area, but i'm sure someone who has experience will be along shortly.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you xxx I've read a lot about what to do so I'll get to it ASAP. We were just thinking if they're only getting colostrum from mom maybe they just do that for the first day or so and then start gaining? As talking peanut said wait a bit...

They're all nice and warm, it's great weather in the uk right now luckily and we have heating pads

It's just; they spend ALL their time suckling mom or sleeping!! So what's going wrong?! Are they not suckling enough? Or might mom not have enough milk?? There's at least 6 nipples they seem to alternate between and only 4 of them?!

Should I supplement all of them or just no5?? As none of them have gained even 6g yet but they're only 36hrs old. We are rooting for no5 to make it! As he nearly didn't even get this far. Still crying about no4.

Also I didn't fully but half picked them up by the scruff of their necks to see if their skin stayed up or went back down as I'd seen kitten lady's videos on YouTube and if it stays up it can mean they're dehydrated. 2 seemed fine - no5 was one of them - and the other 2 it did seem to stay up a little bit...

Is this a problem? Should we take them to a vet for fluids or are they far too young still? Please help! Thank you

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok just called vet the receptionist is getting her to call me back ASAP xx I've never supplemented a kitten before but happy to start. Have read on here lots about what to do, we have 1ml syringes and bigger ones and PetAg KMR milk and Mia has been loving that... So will try that, please can someone let me know whether to supplement ALL of them or just the smallest one?? As none have put on even 6g yet in 36hrs?? Sorry I got the first couple of weights mixed up with the descriptions... But I've got their markings down ok now so know who's who xxx
Im still convinced we could've saved no 4 if we had noticed it coming out of her earlier and intervened earlier. If I had to go through the birth again, knowing what I know now, and with our cat who is happy for us to be with her (clearly not all cats would be) - I would've been much more hands on... Would've cut the umbilical cords much sooner, made sure no3 was fully out...

Nobody answered this yet, Sarthur2 Sarthur2 do you know? Sorry to ask we are just curious...

- what happens to kittens after being born if the umbilical cord is never cut?
- does it damage the new kitten if it's not cut for some time? Ours was about 10-20 mins I think
- does our no3 with its placenta still in the birth canal not fully out... Would that have detrimentally affected no4??
- why didn't she hardly have any contractions for no4 and 5? Do the contractions get less when there's fewer kittens left inside her to come out??
- if no4 was half in half out of her for 5-10 mins could this have killed it?
- if there's a still born do you really need to rub it ASAP like momma should've licked it ASAP? And if it's not rubbed for 10 mins is there a much lower chance of survival??

Thank you for any help and answers.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok we are taking them all to the vet for a check up. Better safe than sorry