Other Fur Babies

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know she's not a non-cat furbaby but I thought I'd share with y'all the baby I brought home today. Meet Calypso:

She's already best friends with Aria (I almost got a picture of them cuddling but they moved) and all intros have been going well. I'm holding off on her meeting Sky until she's settled in and he's calmed down a little from everything shuffling around. She's fascinated by the fish and loves water, which makes 2 of the 4 girls. I think that's funny. She's about 13 weeks, 3.5lbs, and just got spayed yesterday. Her tummy's definitely a little sore but she's playing and running around fine, but I'm still keeping an eye on her stitches especially when she and Aria play so Aria doesn't catch a claw on them or anything. I've never had 2 kittens this close in age before and definitely not with one of them having fresh stitches so I'm being a little paranoid about them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
South Carolina (California native-Sacramento)
I know she's not a non-cat furbaby but I thought I'd share with y'all the baby I brought home today. Meet Calypso:

She's already best friends with Aria (I almost got a picture of them cuddling but they moved) and all intros have been going well. I'm holding off on her meeting Sky until she's settled in and he's calmed down a little from everything shuffling around. She's fascinated by the fish and loves water, which makes 2 of the 4 girls. I think that's funny. She's about 13 weeks, 3.5lbs, and just got spayed yesterday. Her tummy's definitely a little sore but she's playing and running around fine, but I'm still keeping an eye on her stitches especially when she and Aria play so Aria doesn't catch a claw on them or anything. I've never had 2 kittens this close in age before and definitely not with one of them having fresh stitches so I'm being a little paranoid about them.
You know what? It's absolutely fine!!! You're not being held to that title to a T!!! Fur or not,other or not,Yall share whatever animals are on your heart to share!!!! I'm loving this!! She is just lovely. 13 weeks and she's spayed? Hmmmmm my vet says wait until at least 5 months. Which is 20 weeks. As long as I get her in before her first heat,I'm good! I do not want her to experience that!!!! Anywho,congratulations on your newest baby.

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know what? It's absolutely fine!!! You're not being held to that title to a T!!! Fur or not,other or not,Yall share whatever animals are on your heart to share!!!! I'm loving this!! She is just lovely. 13 weeks and she's spayed? Hmmmmm my vet says wait until at least 5 months. Which is 20 weeks. As long as I get her in before her first heat,I'm good! I do not want her to experience that!!!! Anywho,congratulations on your newest baby.
Huh. The shelter wouldn't let her leave without being spayed and it was included in her adoption fee along with all her kitten shots (she needs 1 more booster next week but they'll do it for free if I bring her in on the date she's due) and didn't mention anything about her age being an issue. I do know there's something about potential problems if they're under a certain weight or something like that but I don't know the details. All the girls have been spayed by the shelters before we adopted them.

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh well I wasn't trying to say it's a problem. I'm actually not that knowledgeable on females being fixed. Males,yes! I was just surprised a little. Seems so young to be already at that "all grown up age"!!!! I mean gees..... They go from being so tiny tiny to being able to breed at such a young age!!!!! It's crazy to me!!!

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahaha they really do. Calypso's such a tiny little thing it's crazy to think if she wasn't spayed she'd be going into heat in a few months. She's just a baby! A little demon baby but still!

And yes, she has already earned the nickname Little Demon. Mostly because she doesn't hesitate to yell at you if she's upset and her meow kinda sounds like something out of the Exorcist.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 'new rule of thumb' is you can spay or neuter as early as 8 weeks as long as they weigh at least 2 pounds. It's better to get them done before the hormones start to kick in. My boys were both 4 1/2 months when they neutered. I think that was a good age - they both weighed 6 pounds - and I have had no problems with marking, spraying, aggression or any of the 'typical' stuff you hear about when you don't get them soon enough. And their urine has no odor to it at all! YAY! 

And now, to YOU Miss Glory... where are the baby goats? I wanna see some healthy little kids and I wanna see 'em now! 

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hahaha they really do. Calypso's such a tiny little thing it's crazy to think if she wasn't spayed she'd be going into heat in a few months. She's just a baby! A little demon baby but still!

And yes, she has already earned the nickname Little Demon. Mostly because she doesn't hesitate to yell at you if she's upset and her meow kinda sounds like something out of the Exorcist.
Gosh it's just amazing to me!!! LOL that's so true about lil Gracey!!! She might only be 31/2 months but man is she feisty as all get out!!! She runs the house now and the two 16 pound males!!! Omgosh that's so funny about your calico!!!

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The 'new rule of thumb' is you can spay or neuter as early as 8 weeks as long as they weigh at least 2 pounds. It's better to get them done before the hormones start to kick in. My boys were both 4 1/2 months when they neutered. I think that was a good age - they both weighed 6 pounds - and I have had no problems with marking, spraying, aggression or any of the 'typical' stuff you hear about when you don't get them soon enough. And their urine has no odor to it at all! YAY! 

And now, to YOU Miss Glory... where are the baby goats? I wanna see some healthy little kids and I wanna see 'em now! 
Thank you for that bit of information! Yea I'll get her in no later than 5 months. And she is putting on the pounds,trust me! She getting too big for her britches!( as my dad use to say to me[emoji]9786[/emoji]️).

LIKEWISE MS.FYLLIS!!!!! I'm not kidding you...Sassy is about to pop!!!!! You can cmon down and have a word with her if you'd like??? I've already been getting on her for trying to hold them in from the cold!!! Lol

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I just had a nice adventure to the vet. Sky was fine one minute and the next had a big swollen lump on his side, we still don't know what exactly happened. He didn't yelp or act like he got hurt or anything, but the vet says there was some kind of blunt force trauma to his ribs. He's on $80 worth of meds and not a happy camper. He'll be even less happy when he finds out he'll be going back in a week and a half for another exam if he's not getting better.

The poor guy is getting 4 huge pills a day and is just passed out.

Last edited:

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I just had a nice adventure to the vet. Sky was fine one minute and the next had a big swollen lump on his side, we still don't know what exactly happened. He didn't yelp or act like he got hurt or anything, but the vet says there was some kind of blunt force trauma to his ribs. He's on $80 worth of meds and not a happy camper. He'll be even less happy when he finds out he'll be going back in a week and a half for another exam if he's not getting better.

The poor guy is getting 4 huge pills a day and is just passed out.

Ohhhh my poor Sky. I'll be praying for his speedy recovery and for his comfort. How are you handling this? I know it's very difficult to see your baby suffer. And feel so helpless. You're in my prayers as well. You cannot think of ANYTHING that might've happened? Of course you've probably already been racking your brain with"what in the world " questions. I'm so sorry.[emoji]128554[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji]

Last edited:

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh my poor Sky. I'll be praying for his speedy recovery and for his comfort. How are you handling this? I know it's very difficult to see your baby suffer. And feel so helpless. You're in my prayers as well. You cannot think of ANYTHING that might've happened? Of course you've probably already been racking your brain with"what in the world " questions. I'm so sorry.[emoji]128554[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji]
The only 2 things I can think of are if he crashed into a wall or something when nobody was watching (which, knowing him, wouldn't be surprising) or he was playing too rough with a dog at the park. The only time he's not around us is if he's in his kennel or playing in the backyard, and either way we'd hear if he yelped or anything. I doubt I'll ever know for sure.

Luckily Sky's pretty hard to faze. I can tell he's sore but he was very good for the vet, barely even flinched when he got a needle stuck in the swollen spot. The vet said the fluid should start draining out and the swelling should go down over the next few days and with the antibiotics they put him on it's really unlikely that it'll get infected. It's much better than my first thoughts when I found the lump.

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only 2 things I can think of are if he crashed into a wall or something when nobody was watching (which, knowing him, wouldn't be surprising) or he was playing too rough with a dog at the park. The only time he's not around us is if he's in his kennel or playing in the backyard, and either way we'd hear if he yelped or anything. I doubt I'll ever know for sure.

Luckily Sky's pretty hard to faze. I can tell he's sore but he was very good for the vet, barely even flinched when he got a needle stuck in the swollen spot. The vet said the fluid should start draining out and the swelling should go down over the next few days and with the antibiotics they put him on it's really unlikely that it'll get infected. It's much better than my first thoughts when I found the lump.
Well I'm glad you became aware of it and that you were able to get him in quickly. Awe what a survivor he is! I'm sure with lots of lovins from mama he'll be back to himself in no time!!! Yes I totally understand that! We do tend to automatically assume the worst,don't we? I think that's just us being mothers. We are soooo overprotective of our babies. I'm very glad that it's not too serious. That you'll be blessed by him for many years to come. [emoji]128536[/emoji]

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I'm glad you became aware of it and that you were able to get him in quickly. Awe what a survivor he is! I'm sure with lots of lovins from mama he'll be back to himself in no time!!! Yes I totally understand that! We do tend to automatically assume the worst,don't we? I think that's just us being mothers. We are soooo overprotective of our babies. I'm very glad that it's not too serious. That you'll be blessed by him for many years to come. [emoji]128536[/emoji]
I hope so! He's my boy and it almost killed me waiting to see what the vet said about the lump. He's had such a rough time already, he was abandoned tied up outside an empty house before I got him, and I hate to think of him going through anything bad ever again. We got back from the vet and he went straight to his pen to get his stuffed elephant and then came and cuddled with me. It was so cute.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Sky!  It's always hard when an animal gets an injury and we don't know how it happened (or what it might be?). My first thought was that he rounded a corner too sharply and banged his ribs. Of course, if he was at the dog park he could have gotten body slammed while playing. Did you have x-rays done to rule out any broken ribs? If the vet expects it to drain, he must have a pretty good sized hematoma! I'm curious, did your vet extract any fluid to determine the contents - whether it is a hematoma or a seratoma or if it had any unusual cells present to rule out a tumor of some sort? Did s/he note if there was any indication of a break in the skin? Perhaps Sky got a splinter from bumping against a fence post or gate while at the park. Also, did s/he advise applying ice or heat to it?

I would just monitor it for now and continue with the antibiotic (and analgesic?). Keep in mind that, due to gravity, the lump could shift position and even spread out/downward toward the abdomen a little. His appetite might  decrease a little due to the antibiotics. Right now, he 'just doesn't feel good' so he can be expected to be a little lethargic. Provide him with enough water though; especially after you pill him, to be sure the medicine gets where it needs to be and gets properly absorbed. I would think he should be showing signs of improvement within 24 hours or so.

Keep us posted on his progress! 

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Sky!  It's always hard when an animal gets an injury and we don't know how it happened (or what it might be?). My first thought was that he rounded a corner too sharply and banged his ribs. Of course, if he was at the dog park he could have gotten body slammed while playing. Did you have x-rays done to rule out any broken ribs? If the vet expects it to drain, he must have a pretty good sized hematoma! I'm curious, did your vet extract any fluid to determine the contents - whether it is a hematoma or a seratoma or if it had any unusual cells present to rule out a tumor of some sort? Did s/he note if there was any indication of a break in the skin? Perhaps Sky got a splinter from bumping against a fence post or gate while at the park. Also, did s/he advise applying ice or heat to it?

I would just monitor it for now and continue with the antibiotic (and analgesic?). Keep in mind that, due to gravity, the lump could shift position and even spread out/downward toward the abdomen a little. His appetite might  decrease a little due to the antibiotics. Right now, he 'just doesn't feel good' so he can be expected to be a little lethargic. Provide him with enough water though; especially after you pill him, to be sure the medicine gets where it needs to be and gets properly absorbed. I would think he should be showing signs of improvement within 24 hours or so.

Keep us posted on his progress! 
The vet did take some of the fluid and said he could examine it closer but it probably wouldn't give us a whole lot more information. I'm really bad with the medical jargon but seratoma sounds familiar...? He said as far as he could tell while we were there the fluid looked like what he'd expect of that sort of injury, he just called it high in proteins. He gave me 10 days of the antibiotics and said if it wasn't shrinking and he wasn't feeling better by time they were gone to bring him back and they'd check it out again to see what's going on. We didn't xray, but I'll definitely ask to if he has to go back. So far Sky's been eating and drinking okay and hasn't given me a lot of trouble with the pills so that's nice. I'm keeping an eye on him and I'll keep y'all updated.

Maya has been very concerned about her baby brother too and it's the sweetest thing.

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little bit of an update on Sky. I just gave him his dinner and meds for the night and he's eating right now. Still no problems with eating or drinking so far. He's perked up a little bit, my 4-year-old nephew was here for a little bit and Sky was all happy to give him kisses and get a belly rub.

On a side note, Santa just got Sky's Christmas presents (a new leather collar and leash set, a nice greasy bone, and a stuffed squeaky lump of coal) and I'm really excited for him amd the girls to get into their stockings.

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok y'all.....you have patiently waited and so have I!!!!
THE FIRST SET OF GOAT BABIES ARE HERE!!!!!! Yay yay yay yaaaaaaay!!!!!! Sassy bore two healthy girls. She did awesome and I'm so proud of her!!! She's currently in her stall bonding with her youngins. She's had her CDT and wormer. She's nursing wonderfully and just doing what she does! She's the bestes mother ever.

I've got lots of pictures and videos. I've never posted a video but I'll try.
Ok I'm having trouble uploading photos!!! I'm sorry I know this isn't right!

Eta: Ok so this is what I was able to get for now. I'll work on the rest tomorrow. These are pictures of the girls at only minutes old.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations, Grandma! [emoji]127878[/emoji]. I'm so glad mother and babies are doing so well. Can't wait for photos!!!

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok y'all.....you have patiently waited and so have I!!!!
THE FIRST SET OF GOAT BABIES ARE HERE!!!!!! Yay yay yay yaaaaaaay!!!!!! Sassy bore two healthy girls. She did awesome and I'm so proud of her!!! She's currently in her stall bonding with her youngins. She's had her CDT and wormer. She's nursing wonderfully and just doing what she does! She's the bestes mother ever.

I've got lots of pictures and videos. I've never posted a video but I'll try.
Ok I'm having trouble uploading photos!!! I'm sorry I know this isn't right!
YAY!!!! I will be here excitedly aewaiting photos. Congrats to you and Sassy!

Because I haven't posted in a few days: Sky is doing really well, he even was up and excited and begged me to play fetch with him this morning. The big fluid-filled part of his lump is almost all gone and the other swollen part is about half the size it was. He's almost completely back to his old self. He has about a week left on his antibiotics and if he keeps recovering like this I doubt he'll need another vet trip after that.