Oscar has Escaped

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the second time this week. First time, he and Shady had sneaked into the kitchen (how we haven't worked that out yet), the window was open and off Oscar went. Shady didn't go out. Took us several hours to get the little rascal back in and he wasn't happy about it.

The back door in the kitchen was open a bit (it's hot here), Oscar was in the living room. He managed to dart between my son's legs and straight out the back door. He's gone into the woodland behind our house which is a cats' paradise.

We've had him for almost 9 months now and I'm not sure he's ever going to fully settle into being an indoor cat. He is neutered and microchipped.

This past few weeks have been the worst I've had in a long time :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry Oscar has gotten out twice now, and this last time hasn't been retrieved - as of yet. I don't know how old Oscar is or how long he may have been an outdoor cat before you took him in, but the older and the longer just means that it is going to take more time and effort to stop his desire to be outside.

Apparently, it isn't routine in the UK to have screens in windows and screen doors, but surely you can get them, can't you? There is a TCS article about how to stop a cat from darting out a door, but I don't think it is talking about a situation whereby windows and doors aren't screened or kept closed. Maybe some of your UK fellow cat lovers will have some ideas.
4 Foolproof Ways To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oscar's 3 years old (according to our vet). There are types of screens here but they are too easy for a paw to just open them. They fasten to the windows or doors with velcro. We tried them a few years ago and it took our smarty cat a couple of minutes to figure it out. Our windows and doors are made of uPVC so not easy to fix a more permanent type of screen. The only thing the velcro fastening ones are good for is keeping flying insects out.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, open the top of the window not the bottom, that will give you another minute or so to catch him. Another thought and one we used once, get the screening on a roll then fasten it to the wall, not the window frames. Unless your walls are stone, which in the UK they might be, you should be able to use screws to secure the screening over the windows. If you are afraid of fire, throwing a chair through the window should break through the screening.

Please note that if your boy is extra strong you might want to consider using chicken wire/screening as it is stronger.

You will probably never be able to teach the cat not to go out of an open window.

Alternatively, if you only open the windows to the back garden you can put up a tall fence around the garden with an additional piece on the top that slants inward (like the letter V on it's side) which is impossible for a cat to climb.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, open the top of the window not the bottom, that will give you another minute or so to catch him. Another thought and one we used once, get the screening on a roll then fasten it to the wall, not the window frames. Unless your walls are stone, which in the UK they might be, you should be able to use screws to secure the screening over the windows. If you are afraid of fire, throwing a chair through the window should break through the screening.

Please note that if your boy is extra strong you might want to consider using chicken wire/screening as it is stronger.

You will probably never be able to teach the cat not to go out of an open window.

Alternatively, if you only open the windows to the back garden you can put up a tall fence around the garden with an additional piece on the top that slants inward (like the letter V on it's side) which is impossible for a cat to climb.
Kitchen window only opens at the bottom. The other windows open outwards (they're not sash windows) and we have brickwork.

No sign of him yet but I've got a leg of lamb cooking in the oven so hoping the smell wafting out entices him back in.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps you could get more of a pressurized screen? Amazon.ca

put a baby monitor out and be consistent about the times of day you call him. You can try putting something for him to hide in with your smell on it by the door and/or a bit of used litter for him to smell his way home.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the windows open out you might have to put the screening on the inside. If it's a latch to open you'll need to add a rod and slit to work it. If it's a crank, fit the screening on the inside walls of the house, but push it over the crank so you can turn it.

Last edited:

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's back. We had to set the trap to catch him. He came when my son called him while rattling Dreamies...and the little devil came within 5ft and took off again.

As I help with rescue from time to time, I have a trap. I was going upstairs when I thought I heard the trap go off. Oh, the irony. It was the other stray cat I've been wanting to catch for ages but can't find a rescue placement for him so we'd no alternative but to let him go. I can't take him as I just don't have space to keep him quarantined from the others and like yourselves, our rescues are full of unwanted mums and kittens :(

About an hour later, Oscar went into the trap - and it didn't go off :rolleyes: A deft flick of my son's foot to set the trap off and we had our escapee.

What did he do? Had some food and came straight up to my bed, flopped down, washed himself and went to sleep. I woke up this morning (much relieved he was back) to find him contentedly lying on his back, paws in the air, totally oblivious to the worry he caused.

Oh well, that's cats for you. Think I'll rename him Oscar-Houdini.