Ordering cat meds online

Blahblahblah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm just looking for people's experiences purchasing medicine for their cats online. Were you able to find it for cheap and was it the actual medicine?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always buy online if I can. Some need a prescription from your vet who will more than likely charge you but it's a lot cheaper. I live in the UK and use the same provider, have never had a problem.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have bought flea meds off Chewy. They do require authorization from your vet but I have never had any issues. You can also see if your vet price matches some of the online retailers. If so, it's a lot easier and quicker to do than to wait for your vet to ok it and then the online retailer send you the stuff.

tinytangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've bought meds online! Similarly to others I research the online pharmacies beforehand to make sure they're legitimate - so of course they require your vet to fax them a prescription before they will fill the other. Where I am located though (Canada), I've found that if you are using a human medication off-label (like for my guy - who has athsma) - the meds are actually cheaper at our local pharmacy. YMMV of course if you are located in the USA where medication prices are sometimes very high.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always buy online if I can. Some need a prescription from your vet who will more than likely charge you but it's a lot cheaper. I live in the UK and use the same provider, have never had a problem.
It's incredible how rules vary from one country to the other (even in the same continent, and EU until a few weeks ago).
Over here in Italy, vets do not charge a cent for a prescription, and if they know you and your pet, and they know what the pet needs or is taking, they can send you the prescription by email or WhatsApp, rather than walking in the practice. The prescription can be virtual, we only need a numeric code to be forwarded to the pharmacy or online store.

If I'm in a hurry and I need the med right away, I choose the local pharmacy where I can have the product I need right away if they have it on the shelf, or within 4 hours if they have to order it. Sometimes they can even give me the med, and then wait for the prescription to be sent to me.
If I can wait two or three days, I order online, which is way cheaper.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's incredible how rules vary from one country to the other (even in the same continent, and EU until a few weeks ago).
Over here in Italy, vets do not charge a cent for a prescription, and if they know you and your pet, and they know what the pet needs or is taking, they can send you the prescription by email or WhatsApp, rather than walking in the practice. The prescription can be virtual, we only need a numeric code to be forwarded to the pharmacy or online store.

If I'm in a hurry and I need the med right away, I choose the local pharmacy where I can have the product I need right away if they have it on the shelf, or within 4 hours if they have to order it. Sometimes they can even give me the med, and then wait for the prescription to be sent to me.
If I can wait two or three days, I order online, which is way cheaper.
That sounds so easy. It seems the practice here is that the cat has to be examined and prescribed meds that are provided by the vet then I can pay £16 for a prescription and scan it or send a photo to the online provider. I think I may need to move near you Antonio65 Antonio65

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds so easy. It seems the practice here is that the cat has to be examined and prescribed meds that are provided by the vet then I can pay £16 for a prescription and scan it or send a photo to the online provider. I think I may need to move near you Antonio65 Antonio65
Yes V verna davies , the vet can sell you some meds, but generally they only have a few packages of the most common ones available. All the meds are easily obtainable from any pharmacy, ready at hand if they are on the shelf, or within hours if not.
Prescription.JPG

This is an example of what we need, a bar code or a 13-digit number, to retrieve the medicine from any authorized seller. The longer bar code identifies the pet owner with a unique VAT code, which I masked in the last digits.
What I did know is that this system for prescriptions (both human and vet) are a European thing, it should be the same across the continent. But maybe I'm wrong...

You know, verna davies, the grass is always greener on the other side ;)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have ordered often online, especially from PetMeds and amazon. MUCH cheaper than at the vet. I get Profender, a topical wormer for 1/2. Sometimes I need a prescription, but I call my vet or ask him at a visit, that I need the prescription and he always gives it to me., no charge at all.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, I'm just looking for people's experiences purchasing medicine for their cats online. Were you able to find it for cheap and was it the actual medicine?
Are you talking about prescripton medicine or OTC medicine?

If the medicine is a Human prescriptopn medicine that is used off label in cats, such as Flovent for asthma or Lantus insulin, you may be able to buy it from a Human pharmacy for less than what the vet or a veterinary pharmacy (1800PetMeds, etc) sells it for. GoodRx.com is one web site you can use to compare prices at your local Human pharmacies. You will need a prescription from the vet.

If the medicine is a prescription pet specific one, such as Cerenia, compare prices at reputable online veterinary pharmacy web sites to what your vet charges. Most of the time the web site will require your vet's phone number or a faxed copy of the prescription before filling the prescription.

OTC medicines such as flea preventative products and dewormers can be bought anywhere online as well as in pet stores. Just watch out for sketchy third party sellers, especially on Amazon. Check the seller profile and stats and reviews before buying.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I basically do what LTS3 LTS3 is describing. I get my dog's tramadol from a human pharmacy with a prescription from the vet. It is cheaper, but I do have to say that the pet version was a much nicer coated, smooth pill. I get his very important and life sustaining meds from Chewy who are much cheaper than the vet....but a lot. They have their own pharmacy and have been very conscientious during the pandemic by allowing me to purchase ahead of time...yes, they are sure to make their money that way but if everything feel to pieces he would die without the meds. For OTC stuff, I agree about watching the supplier but I have bought Advantage online and it was fine.