Older kitten with diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh tell me about it. I make my own raw food in 3 different single protein flavors lol. It all started when I got my first cat as an adult. He came to me with chronic diarrhea as a kitten and raw was the only thing that helped.
Bless you!

It might come to that here.

Pass me some recipes. I'll try it!

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH! Let us know what happens, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you both!!
They're treating him with fluids, metronidazole, Panacur and Fortiflora. They don't think there's any need to go further than that right now--no x rays or bloodwork at this time. They said he looks great and his vitals are fine and his physical exam was good. If the diarrhea doesn't clear up on a few days or if he develops other symptoms to bring him back ASAP.

It's the best I could have hoped for. I was terrified he swallowed something but there's no evidence of that.

They did say I shouldn't have given him pumpkin. I might have inadvertently made it worse because pumpkin can either bulk up stool or cause diarrhea depending on the cat.

Now I REALLY feel bad.

Edit: I think he was underdosed on dewormer last month. He weighs 7.49 pounds and they dosed him at 5.5 pounds.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm SO glad to hear this!!

I don't know anything about it, --it isn't a long-term requirement is it?
About 5 weeks ago, one of the cats vomited up worms. I didn't know which cat, so I treated them all. Maybe he's the one who had them, but I didn't and don't know for sure. He was also dewormed at his neuter appointment in December. But when I called the vet, we just estimated his weight based on age because I had no idea. They prescribed based on 5.5 pounds. I think. I'll have to check his records. I can't believe he weighs that much already. His mother weighs 7 pounds and my tortie is 6.5. He's bigger than both of them and he's going to get even bigger.

Poor little guy. I really hope this works. They did mention colitis as a possible cause, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm just thankful they don't think he swallowed something and has an obstruction or got into something toxic.

He's had a rough day. Right now he's stretched out under the covers on my bed.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if the metronidazole needs to be refrigerated? It doesn't say on the bottle and I'm reading conflicting things. It's yellow liquid, not suspension. I put it in the fridge just in case.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh boy. Now none of the other cats will go near him. I just gave him his meds a little bit ago. His kitty buddy Loki hisses and swats him if he gets too close. Heck, he hissed at ME after I petted Jasper and then tried to pet him.

I'm pretty sure it's because he smells funny. Time for a rubdown.

Sigh. Four days to go.

Jasper seems fine this morning. I haven't seen anything in the litter box or on the floors although he's still licking his hind parts. Maybe he wasn't feeling well and I didn't pick up on it. He's even more active than usual.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, and now I have another problem. Loki has green discharge from his eye. I wiped it off and it hasn't come back, but his eye is obviously irritated although it looks a lot better than it did a couple of hours ago. Green is not good. I have no idea if he scratched himself, got contaminated with Jasper's poop or what. They are kitty buddies, after all. I guess I'm making another trip since no vet appointments are available. I've been trying to get him into the carrier for 2 hours.

Calgon, take me away!

Disgusting alert: I climbed under the dining room table trying to get Loki and lo and behold I saw a small piece of dried poop with what looked like roundworms attached to it. I disinfected, cleaned and ran the sweeper when I got Jasper home yesterday, so it had to be from last night or today.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh!!
Hang in there, my goodness you're having a LOT to deal with :hearthrob::purr:
I stopped chasing him and he's napping. I'm thinking maybe I should wait and see what his eye looks like when he wakes up. If there's no discharge, maybe I should hold off and see what happens. On the other hand, I really don't want to have to treat 7 cats because I let it go. One of my friends has 12 cats--maybe she has some ointment I can scrounge.

Thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From white shadow white shadow from another thread;

Little Eye Goobers..not Again!

Eyes are such a delicate area......I wouldn't do anything except having her seen by a competent Vet who must be given the history..

She's just breath-taking!

There is one thing..........IF we use any med in eyes, it absolutely must be a sterile product made specifically for ophthalmic use. So, translation: use only eye drops/ointments. Examples are Neosporin Ophthalmic Solution, Neosporin Ophthalmic Ointment.

And, take great care not to contaminate the 'action end' of the container (the opening where the product exits the bottle/tube) - don't let it come into contact with anything that's not sterile. Otherwise we're contaminating the drug and possibly adding complications.

In any case, without diagnosis, it's a bad idea to throw an antibacterial product at a suspected infection....because it can mask the root problem. Example: any subsequent attempt at culturing a discharge may be sabotaged, and the initial problem may not be determined.

Last edited by a moderator: