Older kitten with diarrhea

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My 7 month old kitten has had diarrhea for 4 days. It started off as mushy, normally colored, but on Wednesday the poor little guy was going every couple of hours with very loose, runny stool. I gave him some pumpkin mixed with wet food Wednesday night and yesterday morning, and after a lot of gas yesterday, he had a mushy BM this morning--it wasn't pure liquid, but it wasn't normal either. I don't think he had a BM at all yesterday--if he did, he buried it well. The BM this morning was the consistency of soft serve ice cream. He seems to be okay otherwise--eating, drinking and playing normally.

I called my vet this morning, but of course because of the pandemic, they have no appointments available and to call the emergency vet, which I did. They told me that he doesn't seem to be in any immediate danger but to monitor him, and that I'm always welcome to bring him in. They're open 24 hours. And I'll take him if needed. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do at home. I have 7 cats and I've never had this with any of my other cats. If they eat too quickly or too much, they vomit, not get diarrhea.

He was dewormed for the second time in February. I have enough dewormer to do it again if needed. I'm going to pick up some Pedialyte (if there is any available, of course) just to have it on hand if needed. I also have Metamucil, which I'll give instead of the pumpkin. But this is a band-aid...I'd like to know what's causing it.

I wonder if this isn't food related. He's a little piglet and that's no exaggeration. He'll eat his wet food, then eat my 18 month old cat's food. THEN he'll try to eat anyone else's who will let him. I have to move him out of the room till everyone else is finished. He's always been a gassy kitty, but I always put it down to the fact that he eats too much too quickly. I have not switched brands or anything.

I don't know if he got into something he shouldn't have gotten into or what. I'm really worried about the little guy. He's still a kitten and will dehydrate faster than a fully grown adult cat.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to give a probiotic as well, but I'd like to have him checked for parasites. I'm a little upset I can't get him to my vet, but what are you going to do. Everyone is in the same boat here and we can only do the best we can.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So it sounds as though his poop consistency is improving a bit over time? The delay may have been because his system was working on digesting things more correctly.

Can you definitely give him more of his wet food (maybe consider a change of brand at some point to see if the gassiness decreases) so that he's not feeling like he needs to be getting into everyone else's and additionally, possibly something he shouldn't have?

Cloverkittie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My 7 month old kitten has had diarrhea for 4 days. It started off as mushy, normally colored, but on Wednesday the poor little guy was going every couple of hours with very loose, runny stool. I gave him some pumpkin mixed with wet food Wednesday night and yesterday morning, and after a lot of gas yesterday, he had a mushy BM this morning--it wasn't pure liquid, but it wasn't normal either. I don't think he had a BM at all yesterday--if he did, he buried it well. The BM this morning was the consistency of soft serve ice cream. He seems to be okay otherwise--eating, drinking and playing normally.

I called my vet this morning, but of course because of the pandemic, they have no appointments available and to call the emergency vet, which I did. They told me that he doesn't seem to be in any immediate danger but to monitor him, and that I'm always welcome to bring him in. They're open 24 hours. And I'll take him if needed. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do at home. I have 7 cats and I've never had this with any of my other cats. If they eat too quickly or too much, they vomit, not get diarrhea.

He was dewormed for the second time in February. I have enough dewormer to do it again if needed. I'm going to pick up some Pedialyte (if there is any available, of course) just to have it on hand if needed. I also have Metamucil, which I'll give instead of the pumpkin. But this is a band-aid...I'd like to know what's causing it.

I wonder if this isn't food related. He's a little piglet and that's no exaggeration. He'll eat his wet food, then eat my 18 month old cat's food. THEN he'll try to eat anyone else's who will let him. I have to move him out of the room till everyone else is finished. He's always been a gassy kitty, but I always put it down to the fact that he eats too much too quickly. I have not switched brands or anything.

I don't know if he got into something he shouldn't have gotten into or what. I'm really worried about the little guy. He's still a kitten and will dehydrate faster than a fully grown adult cat.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to give a probiotic as well, but I'd like to have him checked for parasites. I'm a little upset I can't get him to my vet, but what are you going to do. Everyone is in the same boat here and we can only do the best we can.
Sorry , i've never had a cat before so i can't really comment on this , but good luck with him! :redheartpump::purr:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So it sounds as though his poop consistency is improving a bit over time? The delay may have been because his system was working on digesting things more correctly.

Can you definitely give him more of his wet food so that he's not feeling like he needs to be getting into everyone else's and additionally, possibly something he shouldn't have?
Hi Furballsmom,

I guess feeding him more at once might help, but he practically inhales his food as it is. Now that I'm thinking about it, I recently went from twice a day feedings down to just one. Maybe I should go back to twice a day and see what happens?

I don't know if he ate something he shouldn't have. I really don't. It's like having a toddler running around.

Edit: It did get better and I'm assuming it's because of the pumpkin. He was really gassy yesterday and I'm sure it was from the fiber in the pumpkin.

Sometimes he is a really stinky kitty!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think so, and maybe there's something in this article, in the Dealing with Gulpers section #13 that might help;

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members – Cat Articles

Maybe consider a change of brand at some point to see if the gassiness decreases, after you get his system back on track :)
6. Spread wet food on a plate
Try spreading canned/wet food onto a dinner plate (think putting butter or peanut butter on bread). That way kitty has to lick the food rather than gulp it. Works best for paté style foods.

I'm definitely trying that one!

Thanks for that link--it's very helpful!

I was going to say that he's been fed the same brand of cat food since he came here at 3 months. I'll try something different and see what happens. And go back to twice a day feedings. I just cut back earlier in the week, and that's when he started having problems. Huh.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you have a big eater on your hands, or he's coming in to a growth spurt and needs the extra food (unless he's ALWAYS like this LOL)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being gassy isn't normal for a cat. Something must not be agreeing with him. But agreed I think once a day might be too few for a kitten.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have a big eater on your hands, or he's coming in to a growth spurt and needs the extra food (unless he's ALWAYS like this LOL)
I got him at 7 weeks when he was just starting solids and he has always been like this. (This is the kitten of the Momma cat who was hiding under my bed for weeks and weeks...I had a thread on her!) He'd eat her food under the bed after he finished his own and it was all I could do to keep him away from it. At 7 weeks.

He's already bigger than my tortie and weighs more, too. This is from a couple of weeks ago and he's even bigger now.

20200221_053627 (2).jpg

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Being gassy isn't normal for a cat. Something must not be agreeing with him. But agreed I think once a day might be too few for a kitten.
As it happens, I agree. I just can't figure out what.

Maybe it's time to switch brands. My older cats can stay on their usual regimen and I'll get him his own kind.

Edit: I cut it down because he was eating ALL THE TIME. He still has access to dry food. The wet food is twice a day. It could be the dry food, but I'll start giving him a little wet food in the evening again and see if it helps.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If possible feed a little several times a day, it may be easier for him to digest. Jarrow S Boulardii helped my cat who had stinky diarrhoea, it cleared in a few days then I gave her half a dose for a week and the problem cleared up.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If possible feed a little several times a day, it may be easier for him to digest. Jarrow S Boulardii helped my cat who had stinky diarrhoea, it cleared in a few days then I gave her half a dose for a week and the problem cleared up.
Okay, cool, I'll try some of that.

I agree smaller meals are better and I'll try that over the weekend. And I don't give him a lot at once. He just mooches everyone else's!

When he came to me, he came with a big bag of grain free top of the line food. I balked at the price tag and have been feeding Fancy Feast and Seafood Sensations. But maybe I should just get the original food.

Melanie (Meowtel)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be a protein issue. The most common protein that causes belly issues is chicken. Try an elimination diet with him and just stick to one novel protein. Try to eliminate grains completely and make sure that the food only contains a single protein. Rabbit is the most hypoallergenic protein there is for cats (nothing is truly hypoallergenic). Other options could be duck, quail, or other birds he isn't used to having.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In addition to the good advice above, try to avoid fish, that can cause diarrhoea in some cats.
He loves fish. It figures!

He was running around like a maniac when I got home. I got some Pedialyte but I checked him and I don't think he needs it. I also picked up a can of Blue Buffalo duck. When his tummy calms down I'll try it. I'll get some probiotic as well.