Little Eye Goobers..not Again!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As many of you know...when I found Reese (now 5 months) as a baby she had a horrible eye infection. One of her eyes could hardly open and it was filled with nasty goop. I got her all bright eyed again by smearing Neosporin cream right into her eyeball. It cleared her up quick. One of her eyes has a bit of a squint at times from what I guess was damage due to the infection...

Now here were are almost 4 months later and I noticed yesterday that she was squinting from her good eye. I figured it was a hair or something and basically left her alone, but today I noticed that she had a bit of white-ish goo in the corner of her eye and across her eyeball! I checked for a hair and didn't see one, and then put a little Neosporin in her eye.

She's acting fine, but I'm really really hoping it's not another infection. Can something irritating the eye cause boogers?
20181024_085425.jpg

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eyes are such a delicate area......I wouldn't do anything except having her seen by a competent Vet who must be given the history..

She's just breath-taking!

There is one thing..........IF we use any med in eyes, it absolutely must be a sterile product made specifically for ophthalmic use. So, translation: use only eye drops/ointments. Examples are Neosporin Ophthalmic Solution, Neosporin Ophthalmic Ointment.

And, take great care not to contaminate the 'action end' of the container (the opening where the product exits the bottle/tube) - don't let it come into contact with anything that's not sterile. Otherwise we're contaminating the drug and possibly adding complications.

In any case, without diagnosis, it's a bad idea to throw an antibacterial product at a suspected infection....because it can mask the root problem. Example: any subsequent attempt at culturing a discharge may be sabotaged, and the initial problem may not be determined.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

QueenSwife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we got Snow, she had an eye infection we called our vet and after seeing a pic he had us dilute Eye Contact Saline Solution with water and put 2 drops in her eyes twice a day for 4 days till her Terramycin(oxytetracycline hydrochloride) meds came in. By then, though, the contact mixture cleared it mostly up. We still used the meds just to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Like I said in my first post, I did one dose of neosporin cream and then left it alone. By the next day her eye was open again and she wasn't having any trouble at all.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't wish to push any point with you, but, if there are further flare-ups, then it may be that the polysporin doesn't clear the infection completely, allowing it to return....emphasis there on may be. That would be the "masking" effect I mentioned.

Terramycin is commonly used for eye infection.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the weather changing where you live? If so, it could be airborne allergies. Cats can have them just like we humans have them. You could try an antihistamine with her to see if it helps. If she's over the eye infection, which it sounds like she is, then it's most likely seasonal allergies.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't wish to push any point with you, but, if there are further flare-ups, then it may be that the polysporin doesn't clear the infection completely, allowing it to return....emphasis there on may be. That would be the "masking" effect I mentioned.

Terramycin is commonly used for eye infection.
Thank you for your advice! I was just noting that I haven't given her anything else since you said that. She is doing good now.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is the weather changing where you live? If so, it could be airborne allergies. Cats can have them just like we humans have them. You could try an antihistamine with her to see if it helps. If she's over the eye infection, which it sounds like she is, then it's most likely seasonal allergies.
Yes, the weather is getting cold here! So far since that day she hasn't had any issue. It was totally cleared up by the next day and she hasn't had so much as a squint.