Not Really Feeling Anything...

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah. Got it. If you can't pull them out to weigh them I'm not sure how you'd pull them out to feed them honestly. So, I'll have to defer to those smarter than me. I've always weighed my babies (I used the towel covering for my one feral mom so I could get in there) as that's the only way I know to figure out whose gaining and who isn't. I know people who don't and just let nature take its course though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
She moves around a lot. But I'm sure they are at one nipple long enough. It's just this little one kept getting pushed off by the other kittens.

Fayola is an old girl and I'm sure she's exhausted. She really needs to see a vet because she's in rough shape but I have no time to raise the remaining 3.

I don't know...

That kitten died so suddenly. I got home around 4 and took a picture of them. They were all moving and wiggling. He died just hours later.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Old doesn’t mean you will have to raise them. Hang in there. I noticed st the start one was especially small. In older kitties there are sometimes problems with the runt of the litter but not necessarily the others. You say she is moving around a lot? Does she seem uncomfortable or just shifting positions?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
She seems sick. I don't like the way she's breathing but I have no one to help and no money to take her to the vet. The rescue told me to foster her and that's what I've been doing for almost 7 weeks now. I keep telling them she needs to be looked after. Her eyes are still running.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to call the rescue. Mom needs to be seen and sounds like she needs antibiotics.

Kittens may need supplementing. The rescue should be able to help with meds and KMR.

You would need to syringe feed. You can even use a can of Carnation evaporated milk in the meantime.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

If you are unable to care for mom and kittens perhaps the rescue can put them with a foster who can.

The kittens should not be crying if they are getting enough milk.

Please contact the rescue asap and keep us posted.

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are getting the best advice from those who just posted to you. Others will be checking in to try and help you. The rescue group should be willing to help but you may have to keep calling them. Most are very active this time of year. Be persistent. :alright::redheartpump:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Oh no....complications!! Do the kittens feel cold at all? If so, try to place a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock nearby. Meanwhile, buy yourself some time by rubbing a little white karo syrup on the kittens' gums - this gives them energy and keeps their blood sugar up. Call the rescue group and alert them to this emergency - it could be that mama kitty has hypocalcemia due to poor prenatal diet. Some people here use make-up sponges as makeshift nursers - just be aware of aspiration, especially if using a syringe or bottle. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 has suggested an excellent video. Also, our fellow member Hissy has an excellent website: www.kitten-rescue.com. I use her formula for "kitten glop".
But right now, warmth & blood sugar support are key issues for the babies. Vet care for mama kitty!
I will reach out to StefanZ StefanZ as well .
You can put the karo syrup on mama kitty's gums as well. Try to use a Q-tip so she doesn't bite you.
And try to stay calm - you were given a hard case but you have shown remarkable observation skills and you have the TCS community to help you all get through this! Prayers and vibes of support and healing :vibes::vibes::vibes::heartshape::cheerleader::grouphug2:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I cannot weight them. Fayola is semi-feral / feral. She's very aggressive in defending them.
Graceful Lily, I'm not sure of your set up. Is Fayola in a crate or a carrier? I watched this video the other day about helping a feral mom and her kittens. The people helping her were using thick gloves to handle the kittens and a long stick to shut the carrier door when they needed to pick them up.

Yes, please call the rescue. You're fostering, you shouldn't have to pay vet bills by yourself. The rescue should pay for Fayola to be seen by a vet and for KMR if you need it.

:hangin: Please keep us posted. We're here to help.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently trying to get a hold of them. It's difficult because they are swamped.

Fayola was okay during her pregnancy because she was fighting to be okay for her babies. Now that they are out of her, she's just not great. I tried to give her everything I could while she was here so that the babies would be healthy.

This is why I asked if me feeding them would be better. Not saying Fayola is old and unable but she's been very ill since she got here and has needed to see a vet for weeks. I kept asking the rescue and they kept telling me to buy stuff for her or do this or that because there is nothing they could do since she's pregnant.

I also have noticed that she's not eating much anymore and is incredibly skinny. I'm going to buy the kittens milk today, call Fayola out from the closet, close the door behind her, put her in a carrier, and tend to the little ones.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s a good plan. The PetAg is $10 a can at Walmart.

But, Fayola is clearly an emergency. She needs help! You are going to have to be insistent that she needs medical attention right away - today! She may die otherwise. Pack her up with her babies and go to the rescue to get her on meds.

Do they have a vet? Where are you located?

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily -Do you have any sort of crowdfunding campaign going on for this cat? Perhaps through the rescue group or even through the vet office itself? There is waggle.org where the money goes directly to the vet but that requires time and I am afraid that time is as critical as money in this case. There are several very good options to consider that are trustworthy and confidential such a Chase Quickpay, Zelle and, of course, PayPal - the vet office may accept those options and/or credit card payments sent via phone or fax.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
They told me to take her to the shelter which isn't very helpful. She said they don't have any vets in my area who can take a look at her which doesn't make any sense to me.

So, I guess I'll have to uproot everyone and take them to the shelter. I have no other choice.

No, I don't have any crowd funding or anything like that. Everything I've bought for her has been out of pocket which is starting to become tedious.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't do any kind of foster anything. The shelters main and only purpose is to adopt out animals, spay/neuter, euthanize the sick, etc.

I have no idea if she'll be coming back with me. I got into contact with a couple vet clinics asking for help but none will see her unless I have money.

Should I keep the babies at home and feed them while Fayola is being treated? Would that be better?

Last edited: