Not Really Feeling Anything...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be VERY careful picking up the kittens since they are still attached. If you accidentally pull too hard or quickly and a placenta is under mom or tangled in another kitten it can cause separation at the naval and fatal bleeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
This has been such an amazing experience. I cried when I saw the babies little faces because I've been anticipating their birth for 6 weeks and 2 days. I've never seen a newborn kitten in real life before. I just want to stare at them all day but I know I can't.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Eyes open anywhere from 5 to 14 days.

New moms sometimes breathe heavily while adjusting to the tough job of nursing. However, she may need calcium. Lack of enough calcium can cause seizures. See that she gets a dish of KMR immediately, and then 1-2 times a day going forward for the next few weeks.

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is picky!

Actually, just boil an egg, peel it (discard the clear skin) and crush the shell up very finely. Mix a sprinkle of this into her wet food every day. Egg shell is 100% calcium because it is bone. This will be good for her.

Also, cheese and plain, full fat yogurt.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
She is picky!

Actually, just boil an egg, peel it (discard the clear skin) and crush the shell up very finely. Mix a sprinkle of this into her wet food every day. Egg shell is 100% calcium because it is bone. This will be good for her.

Also, cheese and plain, full fat yogurt.
Gotcha! I have these things so I can definitely get her started on this right away.

Thank you very much!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked on them just now and the smallest kitten that everyone kept pushing off the nipple is dead. The rest are crying very very loud.

What does this mean?

Also... could I possibly help her feed them? For example, when I'm here in the day time, could I bottle feed the kittens for her?

Last edited:

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I checked on them just now and the smallest kitten that everyone kept pushing off the nipple is dead. The rest are crying very very loud.

What does this mean?

Also... could I possibly help her feed them? For example, when I'm here in the day time, could I bottle feed the kittens for her?
Generally if one passes it's because there was something genetically wrong, or it wasn't getting enough milk. Or both. What are there weights at? Did they gain weight since birth at all? Weight loss is often the first way of knowing that something may be going south.

That should also help you figure out if you need to supplement yourself. If everyone is gaining well, supplementing isnt likely to be needed. If one is losing then supplementing is likely to be necessary.