Not Really Feeling Anything...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Fayola is a small cat so I think that's why the kittens look so big.

Do I need to worry about bottle feeding them? Her breast seem to have doubled in size over night!

Also, how often should I be checking on them throughout the day?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No bottle feeding if they are nursing well, which it appears they are.

Just look in on them periodically. Make sure mom has her food, water, and litter nearby so she does not need to go far. She may not leave the nest for a few hours, which is fine.

Have you pinched off the cords now?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I not go to school and just stay home with her? If I leave for school, I don't get out until 5pm. I dont want to skip class but I don't want to be away in case anything goes wrong. My mom is coming back home soon and she'll be here the whole day but she's not able to dealing with this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She'll be mad at you but she won't ditch her babies. Just take them one by one, do what you have to do, and put them back.

Oh, hmm, just saw the latest post. She doesn't try to leave the box when you reach in? Can you put gloves on so she can't scratch you and just do it? At least she can't bite you ;).

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
No. The cord is wrapped around her paw now. I can't just pull them out because she's laying on the placentas. I don't know what to do. I really have to get to class now.

She won't get up and the more I try to get close to them and pick them up, the more she hovers over them and backs into the corner.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m not sure what to tell you, but I see problems if those cords are not pinched off.

Can you just reach in slowly, gently and pinch off the cords without picking up the kittens? The placentas can stay for now, but the cords need to be pinched and separated so the kittens are safe. It should only take a few seconds to pinch.

How many kittens are still attached?

I wish I were there to do it for you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mama cat’s instincts are to protect her babies. She is simply acting on her instincts.

I am just going to pray that the kittens’ umbilical cords do not get pulled and cause problems until this gets resolved.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just have to do your best... The kittens will probably be okay for a few hours, although there is of course a risk. She may let you get in there after all of the kittens are born and she is more relaxed. You can also try using a towel to shield yourself from her as you snatch the kittens.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s possible she may still be having some contractions. That would make her want to stay there as well as being there to protect the kittens. I don’t know if you had to leave but you can use a piece of cardboard like a shield in order to block Mom from biting you. She may feel safer if something is between you. If you had to leave, then maybe Mom will chew the cords herself.
:vibes:Hoping.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, this is important. Sometimes we just have to take a few deep breaths, get tough, and do what we have to do. Don't give anything else a thought except making sure those kittens are free of their cords and the placentas are completely out of mom! I have been reading what our experts are saying and this is not a choice but a must! All will be well after that is accomplished. You can do this, I know you can!;):)

GlitterKittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s possible she may still be having some contractions. That would make her want to stay there as well as being there to protect the kittens. I don’t know if you had to leave but you can use a piece of cardboard like a shield in order to block Mom from biting you. She may feel safer if something is between you. If you had to leave, then maybe Mom will chew the cords herself.
:vibes:Hoping.
Yep... can’t beat a pizza box shield!

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this will help but I accidentally wound up with a feral momma once and I Googled a bunch of videos on how the heck to get her back into a carrier. I found that 99% of the time people just tossed towels over them. I did that with mine and was able to then get things into position.

Can you try tossing a large towel over her and then carefully lift up enough of it to get to a baby and tear the cord without uncovering mommas head?

I was SHOCKED at how well it worked for me and the people in the videos. (Others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!!)